Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Help me buy a horse trailer!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Okay...lets go shopping! I'm looking for a 3H slant gooseneck. Doesn't matter much if the dressing room is finished or not. I would like it to be 18 x6'8' x 7' tall

I keep changing my mind. I have though about buying a new one (really like the Exiss ES300 all aluminum or the Titan Avalanche Steel). But on the other hand, that's a lot of money, and I really don't know how much I would use it to go camping, etc. And it would mean monthly payments to the %$#@&^ bank! (YUK!!)

Anyway, that's one option.

My second option would be cash--no payments!!! (Yay!!) I found a 1993 Corn Pro with stock sides, just repainted, good axles, brakes, bearings, and with the dressing room carpeted and paneled, plus an AC run in from under the gooseneck pan. It's a decent (nothing great) trailer that I can get for $3500. Floor in it is very solid, does not have a rear tack, but could put saddle racks up in dressing room. It's not my dream trailer, but it sure might make a good starter...and I could probably sell it in a year or so and get pretty much what I paid for it. I would lsay as far as bargains go...it's a darn good one. Also, it is not quite as wide or high as I really want--it is 18' x 6'W x 6'6" tall. My horses would fit just fine though...none are real big or tall. Oh...it also has an RV camper door with a screen (which I like), and is wired for 12V and 110...so it's set up pretty decent for camping...I would probably put an awning on it which would cost another $800 or so.

I'm torn...what would you do? Thanks for any advice from you experienced horse trailer people.

PS: I'll probably also post this on horsetrailerworld.com, but over there, i will get 20 page dissertations on the evils of trailer companiess, why steel trailers are horrible, followed by why steel trailers are the only way to go,and so on. I like this forum much better...you get a whole different perspective, and the answers usually make more sense!!!

PSS: Please DO NOT report this post to the DE HAA people!! They will harass me without mercy. Either that, or they'll give me a promotion!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/10/2006 3:04:01 PM

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
Wow Flooper, just got the new truck and now you have to get a gooseneck trailer!!

I can smell the future and it smells like diesel......

Budman
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Budman. LOL! Got the new truck because old truck wouldn't handle a gooseneck, and I knew I was going to a gooseneck this year. But will have to stay with the V10 gasser for a while....Would love a new diesel, but not the payments, cause I've still got too many of the "first hatch" kids in college, with the "second hatch" coming on fast!

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/10/2006 2:40:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  7:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Well, Floops, you are the only one who knows what's best for you, but the used trailer sure does sound like a good deal to me! If you change your mind & want to move up, you will not have lost anything. On the other hand, if you get the new one & decide the payments aren't worth it, you will probably have to take a loss...

On the other hand...a NEW trailer...WOW!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  8:05:29 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

Okay...lets go shopping! I'm looking for a 3H slant gooseneck. Doesn't matter much if the dressing room is finished or not. I would like it to be 18 x6'8' x 7' tall

I keep changing my mind. I have though about buying a new one (really like the Exiss ES300 all aluminum or the Titan Avalanche Steel). But on the other hand, that's a lot of money, and I really don't know how much I would use it to go camping, etc. And it would mean monthly payments to the %$#@&^ bank! (YUK!!)

Anyway, that's one option.

My second option would be cash--no payments!!! (Yay!!) I found a 1993 Corn Pro with stock sides, just repainted, good axles, brakes, bearings, and with the dressing room carpeted and paneled, plus an AC run in from under the gooseneck pan. It's a decent (nothing great) trailer that I can get for $3500. Floor in it is very solid, does not have a rear tack, but could put saddle racks up in dressing room. It's not my dream trailer, but it sure might make a good starter...and I could probably sell it in a year or so and get pretty much what I paid for it. I would lsay as far as bargains go...it's a darn good one. Also, it is not quite as wide or high as I really want--it is 18' x 6'W x 6'6" tall. My horses would fit just fine though...none are real big or tall. Oh...it also has an RV camper door with a screen (which I like), and is wired for 12V and 110...so it's set up pretty decent for camping...I would probably put an awning on it which would cost another $800 or so.

I'm torn...what would you do? Thanks for any advice from you experienced horse trailer people.

PS: I'll probably also post this on horsetrailerworld.com, but over there, i will get 20 page dissertations on the evils of trailer companiess, why steel trailers are horrible, followed by why steel trailers are the only way to go,and so on. I like this forum much better...you get a whole different perspective, and the answers usually make more sense!!!

PSS: Please DO NOT report this post to the DE HAA people!! They will harass me without mercy. Either that, or they'll give me a promotion!

Flooper, while I obviously don't fall into the category of "experience trailer people," I can pass on some logic for the new-or-used question.

Buying New:
If you are positive exactly what you want and you are not likely to change that and you are the sort of person who buys and holds for a long, long time, then if buying new, the depreciation hit you'll get in driving it off the lot and particularly the first year (30%) won't matter. The trailer will be with you until you retire it from old age.

If any one of the above is NOT the case, look for used. The reason is, right off the bat, there isn't a "first year" depreciation of 30%. Max depreciation would be about 10%/year. And after a very short time, that increasingly becomes dependent on its condition. If you buy used, someone else has taken that major-bulk depreciation hit.

Second (which looks the same but isn't), buying used gives you less of a turnover loss if you change your mind a year down the road. I'm not just talking dollars. Say you buy new and you decide it has features you just don't need or want the space or length of. Or there are features you don't have and decide you really, really want. Selling a new one (with its higher depreciation loss "a given") is pressure to keep and make do. Buying used, and same scenario, there's nothing pulling at you to make do, you just put it on the market, sell it for close to what you paid, and buy another. Mindset of FLEXIBILITY!

There are a LOT of really terrific trailers out there, used. People have the same "ifs" you do, but rush out and buy new anyway. Then they change their mind and upgrade (or downgrade if they overdid it) and take the hit. Also there are other reasons people get into "must sell" situations, and take that major first year hit.

What you're describing sounds like it has a LOT of what you like. Maybe not everything, but a lot. But you're not quite sure of what that is yet. So let's say it puts you closer to what you think you may end up wanting longer term. It's a chance to try most of what you want, and refine your criteria without any pressure.

$3,500 for what you are describing sounds like an excellent deal. Around here it would be an outstanding deal. I was looking at $3,800 for a 2H BP, no dressing room (Trail-et Baron LTD 1995) in pristine condition. The thing sold before I could get out to see it. It sold for $3,700. No gooseneck, no air conditioning anywhere, no dressing room. Couldn't possibly camp in it or any part of it.

I'm at a point where I'm only willing to buy new if I'm going to marry the thing. My Oddy works for me in every way, and I do not, and will not, want to change it. Bought it new. If there's any chance of changes, I'll buy used every time. I don't want to take the first year depreciation hit NOR do I want to anguish over the looming prospect of absorbing same if I want to reconsider.

Finally, any time you can simplify and lighten your monthly nut (payments), that has value. Payments are not free money, you have to add the interest right onto the top of the purchase price.

If you're going to marry it? May want to buy it new. (Still may want to get used if you can find what you want.) However, if you're not quite sure you're going to marry it? Buy used. MUCH more flexibility if you refine what you want to something different.

I have several used trailer websites that are pretty good. If you want them for comparisons, let me know I'll dig them up and you can make comparisons. There are some fantastic used traiers out there, and in some cases the only thing that makes them "used" is because someone else was first owner.

For instance, I will be selling my camper. A brand new, off the showroom floor, 2005 Starcraft Centennial 3606. I used it ONCE. A 2-night camping trip. That's IT. I'm going to take a first-owner depreciation hit on it. My interests have changed. Someone is going to buy a darned great deal. Only difference between it and a 2006 is the color scheme. In fact i think I still have the sticker on the stove. Furnace hasn't even been turned on. Original propane in tanks is still two full tanks. Not a scratch on it. $450 optional screen room is still in the box. Owner's manual is still in original plastic. But it's now technically "used."
OUCH!

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  8:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
If it were me, I think I'd start with the used, use it for a couple/few years (while saving for new) and see if my "wants/needs" change or not. If I'm still in the market for new, then I'd sell the used and take the plunge with whatever funds I'd been able to save. But, again....that's me. :)

OTW- If your camper had been a travel trailer, hubby might have been interested. We've already moved up from a pop-up to a 29-footer and now he wants something with multiple slide-outs....claims that he is preparing for the day that we take grandkids camping. It IS tight quarters now, I point out, with the two of us, youngest son (when he joins us), his girlfriend, and two large dogs.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  8:47:27 PM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
OK Flooper my 2 pennies.
I agree with EZ you are the only 1 that knows what you will need. OTW has a lot of wisdom and good points. Buy all you can and feel comfortable with, you've got to live every day with it and not second guess yourself.
Now, the Corn Pro sounds like a great deal and you are The Prof. Of Trailerolgy, so if you think its a steal go for it.
(a little more than half what I paid for the 03/04 steel CM Drover with unfinished dressing room & rear tack.)
I really was glad you were here when I was shopping and naw I won't report you to the HAA. Now git-r-done.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  10:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Flooper....
I vote for the used one. New is too expensive unless you have lots of extra money laying around. But if you are looking at a 4th horse, is this going to be big enough? My neighbor just sold a CornPro. When I was looking, it was $3400. It was a 2004 model with a tack area in front. It was a nice trailer. I also saw a 2 horse Exiss...don't see those often. They are mostly 3 or 4 horse. THAT one was the one I liked....unless you count the big Sundowner. Anyway...go for it unless it won't be big enough.
And I think you need a promotion in HAA...just not my job!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  10:37:47 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Floop, take a look at this site. There are 7 pages of goosenecks in the last 30 days. An Exiss (probably more than you want to spend but sure looks like you could live in it plus (as I recall) 4 horses. But also others. Will give you some great comparisons. On this site you can use search criteria.
http://www.tacktrader.com/show_list.php3?form_word_srch=Y&form_search_text=Y&form_words=gooseneck

There are a couple of other classifieds also, but this one is nationwide with a respectable showing from IN and IL and MI.
C

This is one
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  09:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Thanks everyone for the input. OTW--great analysis of the whole conundrum I'm facing, and it really helped put everything in perspective. I'm also leaning a lot toward what Beccajane and Saddle said about not taking a loan for something like this--I HATE payments.

So here's where I've ended up at: I think I am going to go the used route--for all the reasons everyone pointed out. But I am going to pass on the Corn Pro. Not because it's not a good trailer--I checked it over pretty well. But mainly because I've got the next three months to keep looking--and I figure in that time I will be able to find one of those fantastic, GREAT deals, instead of a good deal, which the Corn Pro is. Plus, it will be more fun to stretch it out.

Only bad thing is no matter how hard I try to convince Mrs. Flooper I NEED two horse trailers, she has emphatically said "no way" on keeping the 2H Bumper Pull. She said I HAVE to sell it. I tried convincing her it would be very handy for trips to the vet, etc. Then she asked how many trips to the vet I took in the last six months. Ummmm....zero...but....BUT NOTHING, sell it or you don't get a new one. Oh, and you can either get a new trailer or another horse...not both.

So thanks for all the help...you guys always help me think through things. I will keep you posted...and if I don't make it the full three months before I buy one it's just because...well, I hate to say it, but I am one of the world's most impulsive buyers....not good when you're also a member of HAA.

Giddy...I am seriously thinking of a 4-horse!! I like those CM Drovers...may keep my eye out for one of those.

OTW...Thanks for the site. I have been there about 3 million times so far!!! Also spend A LOT of time at horsetrailerworld.com and equine.com

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/11/2006 09:35:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  10:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Floops, that trailer sounds like such a deal! I think if I ever buy, I'm going to have to do it in another state other than Ca.!! Much cheaper in your neck of the woods! Plus, even though haven't met Mrs. Flooper, I really like her...lots of wisdom! Think you should stay married to her instead of a new trailer honey on the side......

Appreciated OTW 's analysis of new and used. The only argument for me one day when I buy new is that hopefully everything is working correctly and have some sort of guarantee from company if something wrong or not working??? Do they give warantees on trailers????
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  11:45:07 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Now, Flooper, there's another thing here depending on your tax bracket. Should you really love the idea of camping or traveling with horses, you could go with a trailer with downright palacial living space. And then deduct the interest and depreciation as a "second home." (Don't laugh, you can do that with an RV, but anyone considering it must check with tax accountant.)

I do have some potential armor though for the logic of selling your 2H BP. How much will it cost you to keep it for your quickie trips? (Figure "cost" is what you can sell it for in the next 3 months vs. what you can sell it for in a year from then or 2 years from then. Whatever that difference is, that's your cost. And you have to figure in any deterioration of tires, etc. from sitting.) OR, after you buy the new one, well... let's say you're not in an immediate need for its cash. You could price it at the high end and figure on a little longer waiting time until someone just has to have it. Now that could take yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears! ROFL.

From what you said about the Corn Pro, it sounds wise to bypass it. And I mainly am thinking about the height. When you get your 4th horse, who knows how big he'll be?
Baaaaad mommie, baaaaaaaaad mommie!!!
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  3:54:37 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I imagine the reason the Corn Pro is so cheap is because of it's height. I have a 7 foot tall trailer, and I've seen the 6 1/2 footers. Man, do they look short! They are also not very much in demand with horse people. Most horse people want something taller, including me... but Terra is 15.3 and Dove is close to 15.2.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  8:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Last summer I spent a lot of time looking at trailers both new and used. Ones at lots, ones that people where trying to sell on their own. I tried to hit all of the brands in MI and WI that I could find. I even would walk around the show grounds and ask people if I could check out there trailers. I wasn't really trailer shopping....ok I was but that wasn't the point. We were looking into becoming a dealer as part of the shop. I wanted to know just about everything I could about the different brands. How they held up over time in different cases. How they were put together. Which brands gave you the most options. Which ones were the easiest to work with. Which companies were the easiest to work with.

We started with wanting to sell Sundowners and after everything I have seen I didn't change my mind on that. Not sure if we are going to do it or not yet. Sundowners are high prices at the start and their resale value holds but it is that way for a reason. I got to see 5 different Sundowners that where over 10 years old and they where in better shape then some of the other brands that where under 5 yrs. That's a huge thing for me.

Other things I saw in this search is that with slant loads you have to check the dividers. Some of them where down right dangerous and Titan was one of them. Not every model. Kiefer was the same way. Bison shocked me. Their higher end models where NICE. I didn't figured that would be true until I saw one, dang thing smashed my thumb but that wasn't my fault! lol :D They also had some seldom seen features that are nice to have. Exiss, the higher end ones are nice and getting better.

Okay that doesn't help you that much but in a way it does. Cro Pros don't hold up as well. Hawks are okay. Sundowner is about the best for holding up. Featherlites where in the middle but not bad. Trail-ets....some okay some not. Kiefer...not impressed with most on them but they held up ok if you take really good care of it.

For working with them again I think SunD and Feathers were the best. Just good using trailers. The Corn Pros did ok on this but the Titans and Trail-ets I wouldn't want to use.

When you look for trailers I think it's the same thing as saddles. If you can't buy a good new one then buy a GOOD used one. I wouldn't buy a used Corn Pro. I might buy a new one for a stock trailer if I didn't plan on using it for many years. Make sure you check everything. Not just used trailers but all trailers. Check the locking system on the dividers, a huge area that shows quaility. Make sure the back divider(slant load) tucks away and swings out far enough. Check all of the windows and doors. I can't believe how many don't lock correctly. Go for Quaility over cheapness. If you have time and aren't worried about driving to pick one up do a lot of shopping around.

I still want a sundowner, GN, 3H slant with rear tack, front dressing room, drop down windows on both sides, drop down bars, extra tall, extra wide, full mats....the list goes on. If we work out a deal with them then getting it isn't a problem but there is a few other things we are working on right now and since horses is not the focus on the shop the trailer part gets put on the side.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  04:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I think that Mrs. Flooper would be helpful in HAA. Sort of a Director of Moderation or Conscience.

We have a 1994 three horse Gooseneck Steel Sundowner , with dressing room etc. that we bought new. We really like the trailer but we did replace the steel fenders with aluminum due to rust with some brake work during the annual Road Safety certifications. Had a two horse bumper pull ( 1978 version I believe ) Trail-et before the Sundowner that we like very much. The person we sold it too was very happy and it is still being used.

My advice if you find a good used one that fits you need buy it NOW. Opportunity is fickle. If you buy a good used trailer you will be able to sell it to upgrade when the time comes without a loss. Much harder to convince yourself to upgrade when you know you are going to lose up to half the value that you paid for it.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  10:11:54 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
HEY! Ya'll are pickin on Corn Pros! I have a Corn Pro BP 2horse combo & LOVE it. It's got a manger, 2 saddle compartment doors, a divider (which I've removed). Maybe you can't haul a giraffe in it, but Joe is 15.3 and has plenty of room.

I had looked at some other trailers including Bison before I bought this trailer. The Bison was slightly cheaper but a whole lot less trailer IMO. The supports were spaced farther apart & seemed smaller, the whole trailer rattled and just didn't seem solid.

Flooper> You need to bargain with Mrs. Flooper. Tell her you'll sell the old trailer if you get another horse. With 4 horses, you'll have to have a 4 horse trailer so you can haul all 4 to the vet for vaccines, coggins, health papers....etc. One trip in a four horse is much less expensive than 2 trips in a 2 horse.

If I was seriously looking for a gooseneck, I'd probably go with a used at first. As others have mentioned, you can probably sell it in a few years for about what you paid for it and you'll figure out what features you like & what you can live without.

And something else to think about..... you don't want to underuse that trailer pullin' monster truck, right? Won't it damage the whuchamacallit thingy in the engine/tranny doohicky if you can't max out the load on occasion?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  10:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Stormie, good points on trailer shopping. Guess you have to get past all the chrome and shineness and down to if the thing closes, locks, etc. Whenever a horse expo, I walk through all they have to offer and still seem clueless.

So all you trailer experts, step up or ramp? And, do they give a warantee on a new trailer? Thinking on electric, brakes, mechanical stuff.?? What things do you most often have to replace/repair/fuss with??
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  12:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I personaly like step -ups. Seems more natural to me and I have no problems loading the horse. (and you don't have to pick up the ramp and horse don't fall off sideways and skin their shins.)

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  12:41:38 PM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
FB, I have had both and agree with Hook we( me and the horses)like the step up best. Most maint. will be wiring and lights along with keeping the bearings greased.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  12:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Bones, in addition to what Giddy said, you'll usually have to have the electric brakes looked at/adjusted every couple of years or so. Also, you'll want to lube all hinges and latches. If a living quarters trailer, lots of "camper" type stuff to mainain. New trailers do come with warranties that cover most things...some manfuacturers have great warranties, some of the cheaper ones have pretty bad ones. Biggest problem with getting warranty work is you have to take trailer in to dealer...and that might be a few hours away. I have never had a ramp trailer, but I've heard they can be kind of heavy to lift. With a step-up though, you do have to make sure the horse is backing out onto solid, non-slippery, non-wet ground...otherwise their leg can slip under the trailer, which isn't good. I have seen some people put down a heavy rubber mat before letting the horses back out.

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/12/2006 12:50:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  7:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

HEY! Ya'll are pickin on Corn Pros! I have a Corn Pro BP 2horse combo & LOVE it.

I have a Corn Pro 16 ft. stock trailer...do I love it? No, but it gets the job done, at a price I could afford. Had it for 8 years now. The reason I went for a stock trailer is that my older mare is claustrophobic, and freaks out when shut in a two-horse straight load. So I guess as long as I have her, I will have to keep the Corn Pro! Or some other type of stock trailer.

But, hey, I have seen some nice gooseneck stock trailers...so might move up one of these days!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  7:53:32 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

Bones, in addition to what Giddy said, you'll usually have to have the electric brakes looked at/adjusted every couple of years or so. Also, you'll want to lube all hinges and latches. If a living quarters trailer, lots of "camper" type stuff to mainain. New trailers do come with warranties that cover most things...some manfuacturers have great warranties, some of the cheaper ones have pretty bad ones. Biggest problem with getting warranty work is you have to take trailer in to dealer...and that might be a few hours away. I have never had a ramp trailer, but I've heard they can be kind of heavy to lift. With a step-up though, you do have to make sure the horse is backing out onto solid, non-slippery, non-wet ground...otherwise their leg can slip under the trailer, which isn't good. I have seen some people put down a heavy rubber mat before letting the horses back out.

Bones, ramp on mine is heavy, but quite do-able (steel trailer). It stops part way down each way so you can reposition and it won't clang onto the ground if you let it go.

HOWEVER!!! If you like a ramp and you don't like lifting the ramp you can do what I'm likely to be doing, and that's have "Lift Assist" installed. I haven't seen one but imagine it's a crank. I did see something on the internet, and I think the name was Gorilla or Godzilla, may be worth checking out. Seller of my trailer was going to have some Lift Assist system put in, and she thought she recalled $150 to $200. I think that was installed.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  8:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
If you have a horse like the mustang that was here you are replacing running lights the most!! I think they had to replace 4 or 5 of them just this summer. If she wasn't trying to eat them she was trying to stand on them!

I prefer step up but I have seen some pretty bad ramp designs. The one that I owned was nasty. It was very hard to close. Since then I have had step up, I had that ramp one altered to a step up it was so bad. The few times I needed something like a ramp it was more the animal couldn't step up so even a ramp wouldn't have helped. I have two spots here at the farm that I can park and make it level so that the horse just walks in. There is a spot at the vets like that too and a few at the fair grounds. You have to get it just right but it works.

I also have a few different ways to teach babies to load and one is with a series of steps that can work great on even older horses so I have all the stuff to do that too. I don't use that method that much but it works when other things don't. Some just don't get that they need to step up.

With ramps make sure you open and close them a number of times, some can be so hard. Jump on them too to test how stable they are and how slick. If you don't feel safe because it feels slick the horse is going to thing so too.

It isn't that I wouldn't own a ramp just that I probably wouldn't buy one for the next trailer since I am use to step up.

And PLEASE no one say anything about the idea of buying a larger trailer to fit more animals to anyone in my family. If you do we'll end up with a HUGE stock trailer out front and about 20 more head of cattle...not something I need! lol
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  12:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Thanks guys for the info. Still a long way off from trailor buying, but good to know and not buy on impulse.

Another question: Stock trailer vs. those with dividers. I can see the case for both, but if they can move around more in a stock trailor, isn't that dangerous? The TB doesn't tie, which makes me think a trailer with dividers would be better. When a friend transported her to my house, he just plain didn't tie her. She did fine with the dividers.
Thoughts?

Lady up here has Icelandics. Nice Logan with drop down windows. It is the cutest thing to see those Icers with little heads popped out the window, manes and forelocks flowing in the breeze! they really look like they enjoy it! Then again, maybe some horses would freak at what they are looking at!!????
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  12:36:16 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Joe had a bad experience in a small 2 horse straight load & I was told he had issues with loading before I bought him. I figured I could get him to load & haul so that wasn't a deal breaker for me but I had him in mind when I bought that particular trailer.

I do tie him but if he's by himself, he stand sideways most of the time. I don't have the divider in but still haul other horses with him. They just lean on each other.

Horses learn to lean & shift their weight as the trailer moves and I don't think would move much if they could. I won't haul him without tying him though. He can turn around in the trailer & does to unload if he's by himself.

Now is my Corn Pro my ideal trailer??? NO!!! I'd love to have a 3horse/slant with LQ and a truck to pull it but until I win the lottery, my Corn Pro will have to do. LOL!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  1:04:39 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I have a cheapy WW trailer made in Oklahoma. I bought it from Zahm's Trailer sales here in Huntington, IN. It does have a loading ramp but it is a breeze to drop and lift. It has some sort of hydraulic system. I can lift it with one finger if I want to. It is a cheap-made trailer but is within my budget and what I can afford. I've had the one I have now for 10 years, and it's just now showing it's age. Yes, I'd like to trade, but our budget is strained to the max with two more years before we pay off the truck! So, it looks like I'm going to have to put up with what I have for awhile.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000