Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Outfitting Trailer / Trailriding Take-alongs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  6:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I love lists too. Here's mine:

1. Everything on Paints and Parrots lists.
2. A Second trailer hooked behind first, which you'll need if you want to bring your horse because your first trailer will be full with all the other stuff.
3. Jerky (the ultimate trail food).

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  6:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
#3....I don't eat meat....can I substitute chocolate in any form?

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  6:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Chocolate, in any form, is #1 on my list!!
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  7:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I like the beef jerky idea Flooper. We guys have to keep up our strenghth with the extra protein, just in case.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  8:13:57 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Beef Jerky, eh? Now why do the two men on this thread both gravitate toward beef jerky. Okay, we like lists, everyone said they don't bring everything, these are just thoughts. It may have something to do with the nesting urge.

Becca, I was wondering about those tassles. Don't they bang around on horse's eyes? I looked in Valley Vet catalog and these come in colors, I can get blue to match Cloud's eyes, lol. And her rope halter is blue, of course. If we get matching tassled rump rugs, we can have horses that look like they came of set of Lawrence of Arabia. I mean how pretty is zat?? Gotta get my list out...

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  11:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Beef jerky!!! I'll take chocolate.

OTW, the fringe didn't seem to bother them. As I said, we drew a few stares and I think I overheard something about "foo-foo". Imagine what we'd look like! LOL! By the time you knock the flies off the front and back, you're ready for a suit of armour! You know....a person could put a face mask on their helmet and you wouldn't eat the spider webs.....hmmmm...Now THAT'S a chuckle!!!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  06:15:48 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Wow, the only local trail riding (woods) I did here was VERY short just to get a look-see, and I didn't notice flies or spider webs. However path was very wide. I'm going on a sleigh ride held by local riding club on the 14th so I can meet some people, and will ask the fly/web situation. If they say it's as bad as it sounds like it is in IN, I'll arm myself with head doilie, rump rug and maybe PG's fly whisk just for good measure.

I did find a great thing for mosquitos or bees that get inside, however. Have you seen those bug zappers that look like tennis racks? Wires about a quarter inch apart horizontally, and battery operated. Amaaazing little things. I couldn't figure out why even tiny mosquitos would get zapped because there's more space between the wires than wires, but apparently the electric charge sucks them into a wire. Not good for flies though, they're too quick and too smart, they see it coming with all those hundreds of eyes they have.

A bit of fly trivia that comes in handy when swatting them.... Did you know that when flies take off from a landing spot, they initially fly backwards? It happens really fast, but that's why sometimes they're hard to swat. Aim a little behind the fly and ya get 'em every time.

Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  12:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I was thinking, could be dangerous, but if you really want to make sure that you have everything for a camping trail ride, have one at home as if you wre away. That way if you forget anything just add it.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  1:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay
A bit of fly trivia that comes in handy when swatting them.... Did you know that when flies take off from a landing spot, they initially fly backwards? It happens really fast, but that's why sometimes they're hard to swat. Aim a little behind the fly and ya get 'em every time.

OTW--your fly wisdom goes far beyond your years. You are absolutely correct. My grandfather taught us as kids the best way to swat a fly is to hold your hands apart about three inches above the fly and then clap them together quickly. The fly sees the movement, takes off up and back...and squish!!...right into your clapping hands. Works darn near everytime.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/09/2006 1:09:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  1:22:03 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
euuuuwwww.. fly guts.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  6:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
I have seen the fly zapper, but the first thought that comes to my mind is....I miss the fly and hit the horse! Then the horse jumps from being smacked for no reason. Then he's off and running from the shock, with maybe a buck or two tossed in , for good measure. Then I am sitting on the ground, holding the shocker with a fly buzzing around my head. Then.....and the story goes on and on......
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  6:48:28 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Fly guts sho is better'n tick guts. Ever squash one of those little suckers that fell off a dog onto the floor? Talk about "Eeeewwwww!"

Flooper, gee, then I'm good for something, eh? Fly knowledge, harrrrumph.

Hook, I dry run stuff, I don't like surprises. Easy for human stuff, but figured I may need some coaching on the horse and trail riding stuff, and I did. Great info from people on this board, thanks to ALL!

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2006 :  6:53:43 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Becca, I can see it now. The thing is tho, you don't swat the mosquitos with the zapper, you just wave it gently into their flight path with your hand on the button. It's rigid though and I'd sure hate to be carrying something like that looped over the saddle and push that button my mistake. Quite a zap!!! I tried it, the thing hurts like the dickens. Interesting side benefit though, it "sticks" the mosquito (or bee) to the wires as long as you hold the button down, so you can dispose of their teensy little carcasses and not have dead mosquito or bee on the floor. Not good for horseback riding, but those things are fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  7:02:03 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Oh, I just found the neatest kit bag for trail riding! Walmart, $6.54. It's not a "pommel bag" but it sure is designed well for that. It's in the camping section, and has "Arctic Zone" written on it. Black and grey with a teensy bit of neon green trim. Trail lunchers might really like this, but I bought two because of EASE of access to its 3 compartments, including one that's specifically easy to reach from the ground if hung over horn.

It's 11" tall, 4 deep and 7 wide. Well, now, that lends it very well to being strapped down so it doesn't bob around, but its top handle actually has a clasp on one side so it can be hooked onto another bag (or part of saddle). Whole bag is insulated. Top section has a 3-sided zipper and perfect for cold stuff and deep enough to take a good sized water bottle set on the diagonal, with room for ice or ??? kept cold in same compartment. Entire bottom unzips w/a 3-sided zipper again, and is also insulated, but perfect for sandwich, fruit and bag of pretzels because it has a "floor" of top pocket above it and nothing can get crushed. Then aside from those two is a separate, easy access outside pocket for ID, keys, etc. I bought a 2nd one for other side, just for non-food trail riding stuff (a boot in case a shoe comes off, bailing twine, hoof pick, kleenex, tp, etc.)

I know Walmart smacks small store owners, but it's pretty amazing what you can run across in there for next to nothing.

Also, heard a thing about Walmart's hand warmer packets which I tried. It works! Someone may benefit from this bit of trivia also, particularly if a war baby and raised to be frugal, lol. Some woman wrote that she likes handwarmer packets for her morning barn chores. (Well, I would too, except that could get pretty expensive going through one or two each morning JUST for 20-40 minutes when they last a number of hours.) She said that when she comes back in the house, she puts the handwarmer packets in a heavy duty ziplock bag (freezer kind) and squeezes all the air out. They then cool down and go into "suspension" because they need air to heat up. Well, I cracked one open, got it warm, then put it in a mason jar and vacuum sealed it with Foodsaver. Sure enough, it lost its heat. I opened the jar an hour or so later, and presto, it started heating up again. These aren't expensive little packets, but hey, if you can get one to spread its 5 hours (or whatever it really is) over the course of a week's worth of 20-30 minute periods, then that's pretty convenient.

My two cents for the evening.
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  8:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Thanks....I love cost savers! I always wondered how those worked...what a great idea! More money for horsey stuff!
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  11:23:27 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I'm not sure what you are describing, OTW, and don't get me wrong as it might work just fine, but I've discovered that most things not made for horses to be used in this manner usually don't hold up over time. It might seem like a bargain but not when it'll wear out quickly and have to be replaced more often. Most equipment such as saddle bags, cantle bags, & horn bags are specifically made for the wear and tear they will take from the swaying motion of a horse over distance other than something used in this fashion but not with horses in mind. I've found it actually saves money over time and in the long run to buy actual cantle bags and horn bags than to try and go with something not made for that purpose.

Like I said, you might've found something that'll work and save you money, but it normally doesn't work out that way. I've tried things like that and paid the price. Over the years, I've become very picky about what I use on my horse and always try to buy the best even if it costs more than something cheaper. Items made specifically for horses usually last longer and work better than things that are not.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  12:11:23 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I have saddle bags made out of on-sale back packs from Walmart! A friend sewed them together for me. They have compartments & zippers and are great! I even stuffed my insulated liner in one of them.

I'll have to look for what you've described, OTW! AND..thanks for the tip on storing & reusing the handwarmers. Lots of times, I just haven't used them because I didn't want to waste one for only few minutes outdoors. They're also a good way to warm up the bit on cold days. Now I won't hesitate to break one open now that I can reuse them.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  08:57:03 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Well, the point may be moot (for me) because I brought it out and LQQKED for someplace on the Wintec 500 A/P saddle I bought (just in case I'd use that for trail riding) and there is absolutely noplace to attach anything. I have a grab strap between the two front D rings which are there for that purpose, but nothing else would fit on. As for my borrowed Western saddle I didn't see much to attach stuff to either. So the cantle-pommel bags may be something I should be looking at.

HOWEVER, the dang little Walmart unit is super well-designed. I don't know how good the insulation is, but everything in it is insulated except the change/ID pocket. For the western saddle it would be nothing to rig up an over-horn setup with two of them, and they're long/narrow enough so they may tie down easily and not flop. Main thing I liked was a tall separate and easy-to-reach top pocket that fits a water container taller than the pocket by putting it at an angle (with ice packs underneath and round it).

By the way, anyone have a FoodSaver or other vacuum-packing appliance, if you take Dawn liquid dish detergent, fill a bag with it and seal (not vac-seal obviously), then freeze, it makes an ICE WRAP in any size or shape you want. It bends and molds to whatever shape. While I've used them in picnic packs, it occurred to me reading another thread (lame leg) that one could make some pretty fine ice wraps for horse legs, etc. Obviously careful to pad with something so not directly on horse, of course.

HANDWARMERS: PG, I experimented with one, and put it through the unofficial kitchen test mill. I vac-sealed it in a squat little mason jar about 4 different times, and then tried just compressing the air out of a freezer quart ziplock. It lasted GREAT! Re-activated each time until it finally expired. The last time it took a little while to activate (they say 15-30 minutes) but once it did, it got respectably quite warm.
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  1:54:57 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
OTW,

I looked at Wally World today & didn't see what I thought you're typing about. Could you post a pic?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  3:38:00 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I had to hunt a little to find them, but my horn bags are insulated and one will easily hold a quart-sized water bottle. I usually freeze the water bottle the night before a ride (if it's going to be a warm to hot day). Then I put it in my horn bag and have nice cold ice water to sip on all day long during my ride as it melts. I also have used the frozen water bottle to keep anything else cold that I might have in the same bag.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2006 :  4:07:54 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PaintGal

OTW,

I looked at Wally World today & didn't see what I thought you're typing about. Could you post a pic?

PG, will do, but maybe tomorrow. I'm really sick today. Must have caught the flu or other fun thing... pounding headache, skin hurts, muscles ache, totally weak, nose dripping, sneezing and a dry hacking cough that is driving me nuts. I'm up for some tea but after 10 minutes up, all I can think of is getting horizontal again. I detest being sick!
Go to Top of Page

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  9:04:04 PM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message
Hi there, new here, looks like a friendly place!

OTW, here is a link to the saddle rack-water tanks.
Third one down, called a "dry camp"

http://tinyurl.com/blxm5

and in case that link doesnt work, heres another!(same tank) LOL
9th item down. (Sure like that "hot water on demand" gadget, might need to get myself one of those!)

http://tinyurl.com/drvso

Ride safe, return safe.

Go to Top of Page

mtn rider
Trainer

Canada
634 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  9:43:13 PM  Show Profile Send mtn rider a Private Message
Flys,
IMO, the fringed fly browbands wont hurt a horses eyes, provided that it is worn down low enough to keep the ends of the fringe below the eyeball.

Tip on fly control.
I was recently told that if you hang clear bags of water near your door, keeps the flies out of the building!
Now I havent tested this yet, but a fellow rider swears it works.
I will be checking this out as soon as the flies appear. Could be a good thing while camping too.

I recently got a "new to me" gooseneck. I am also switching from a 2hr bumper pull, straight haul, with mangers underneath.
Funny, part of mr wants to hang onto it also!

Water.
I always without fail, pack water. For short day rides, or places I know there will be water when I arrive, I carry a 1 gal juice jug.
On hot days more.
A couple of the trailheads I use are in residential areas. I pick up my poop when leaving, and throw the jug of water on any mess still left. (less than 1 hr drive from home)
I wont be one on the side of the highway, with no water, a broken down rig, and thirsty horses. Good if you should overheat too.
Good for rinsing any wounds.
I also use the frozen sport bottle method, and at end of ride, will use my jug to refill it, and rinse off sweat. They seem to love it.
Now with the new trailer, I am getting a corner tank.

Leatherman, on your belt, in case separation from your ride occurs!
Usually a waist pack, or pockets or such, for all items I want (cell, snack etc) on me, in case of separation.

We have in our stores here, these little tuna snacks, that are awesome saddlebag food. I take the can out, and add more crackers. the plastic container keeps them from getting crushed, and takes all garbage back in, so your bags stay clean.
Kit comes with: not enough crackers,
a spoon
a napkin
a tin with pull top, of which ever one you bought.

http://www.oceans.ca/flash/products_cat3.html

Those are some of my thoughts.

Ride safe, return safe.

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  07:22:35 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Mtn...
First, welcome to the group from the peanut gallery! (Meaning I'm pretty new here also.) You're right, it is a VERY friendly place! As a "horse owner/keeper" newbie, people here have helped me immeasurably with everything from trailering guidance (and they went the nth degree) to things that should be obvious, but of course, aren't.

Thanks for the link to the saddle rack/water tank. Stormie had mentioned that before but my startup expenses (and purchase errors due to "Newbiedom") have me making do whenever possible. If my trail riding excursions turn out to be of any magnitude where I can justify the purchase, that is a unit I can really see being worth its weight in gold. Otherwise, however, your list of emergency water uses was great. Currently I have to haul horse water from house and I'm using gallon jugs (tons of them). Even without nifty carrier/saddle rack, I'll be sure to keep a lot more than anticipated needs. At first, either tons of those or a couple 5-gallon honkers or both.

Question about the fly control with bags of water... Please clarify... you are describing what, baggies (ziplock or whatever) of water? Closed and tied so it's just clear water in a bag? Tied to barn or where you want to sho flies?? I can't imagine how that would relate to flies (other way around). You said you hadn't tried it, but friend swears it works... Could you elaborate? I could have read it wrong.

Also, re your experience with the fringed forehead doilies... if the fringe ends hang to below horse's eyeballs, then horse is trotting along, peering through threads over its eyes, even without the ends banging into eyes. Wouldn't that drive them nuts?? I'd love to know how that works because otherwise, they look like they could be handy as could be.

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  5:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Thanks for the wonderful input, mtn! Welcome again! It's always nice to hear ideas and you have some good ones.

I too am confused about the bags...I'm anxious to hear that one. My farrier told me about how to control bees and yellowjackets using a gallon jug of sugar water. Fill a jug with sugar water and lay it on it's side (out of the way of people and other critters). Make sure the water is level with the opening. Bees fly in and cannot fly down to get out without drowning in the water. it works!

I use the fly masks and the fringe doesn't bother my horse. The fringe hits him right above the eye. As they move their heads, the fringe "shoos" the flies away. He doesn't toss his head and fuss about the flies with it on. It also has fabric to cover the ears and goes over the top part of the poll area. It ties around the neck with a thin thread and can also fit under the bridle. Pretty neat! Now....to try the rump rug for the horse flies on the other end.......

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000