Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Old Mac's Boots
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jacobs Buddy
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  9:57:42 PM  Show Profile Send Jacobs Buddy a Private Message
Hello,
Does anyone out there use Old Mac's Boots?
I have been concidering purchasing a pair for my horse Jacob. He has very soft feet. He is fine at home or on soft surfaces but he is really owchy on the trails. My horses don't have shoes on. I see no need for it as most of the time they are on soft surfaces and I don't want to have to pay for resets every 8 weeks. I was thinking It sure would be nice if I could get jake a pair of hiking boots that he could wear on the trail rides and take off when he his home. Then I saw those Old Mac's boots in the Valley Vet catalog. They sound pretty neat.
But I can't find anyone who has used them.

I whisper but my horse don't listen.

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  12:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
There are many styles of horse boots on the market now. Which one to pick depends both on what you do with the animal and the shape of the horse's feet.

The three top ones in the US are:

Easy boots. The oldest one but the one that holds up the best. These where field tested on a ride that was from(I think) Alaska to somewhere down in the tip of South America. I have been using these for over 12 years and have one pair that I have had from the start. They fit well, stay on in most cases(I have only lost 2 in all of these years both in the same type of case, Mud and a freshly trimmed foot when I didn't adjust the boot). At first they are not easy to get on or off but with setting them up correctly(the company doesn't tell you half the tricks to setting them up) and spending some time getting use to it it gets easier. I can get 4 on in about 8 minutes. I use them mainly in the winter with the Ice studs and it makes a world of difference for safety. I use to use to replace shoes on horses like yours but that isn't an issue for me right now.

Old Macs where the next on the market. They are fitted much differently and since they go over the hair line you can't use them in some sports. They are easier to get on but my biggest probelm with them has been break over. The one mare I was able to try them on has a quick break over and these caused her to trip. But a good number of horses use them without problem so I think it comes down to each horse. They cost a lot more then Easy Boots and from what I have heard they don't hold up as well. Some people had rubbing problems also.

The newest one is Boa Boots. Much in the same line as an Old Mac but doesn't come over the hair line. Easier then Easy Boots but even the company(who now makes all three since they joined up with the Old Mac Company) admits that they don't hold up as well as the Easy boots. They where never meant to replace the Easy boots but to give another option to owners.

Another thing I have found is that it depends on the horse's hoof as to what is best for fit. Old macs fit some better but another style will fit a different horse better. So sometimes with a hard to fit horse you have to try different ones. I personally like the Boa and Easy boots better then Old Mac but I don't have a problem using any of the three if that is what works for that horse.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  12:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
There are many styles of horse boots on the market now. Which one to pick depends both on what you do with the animal and the shape of the horse's feet.

The three top ones in the US are:

Easy boots. The oldest one but the one that holds up the best. These where field tested on a ride that was from(I think) Alaska to somewhere down in the tip of South America. I have been using these for over 12 years and have one pair that I have had from the start. They fit well, stay on in most cases(I have only lost 2 in all of these years both in the same type of case, Mud and a freshly trimmed foot when I didn't adjust the boot). At first they are not easy to get on or off but with setting them up correctly(the company doesn't tell you half the tricks to setting them up) and spending some time getting use to it it gets easier. I can get 4 on in about 8 minutes. I use them mainly in the winter with the Ice studs and it makes a world of difference for safety. I use to use to replace shoes on horses like yours but that isn't an issue for me right now.

Old Macs where the next on the market. They are fitted much differently and since they go over the hair line you can't use them in some sports. They are easier to get on but my biggest probelm with them has been break over. The one mare I was able to try them on has a quick break over and these caused her to trip. But a good number of horses use them without problem so I think it comes down to each horse. They cost a lot more then Easy Boots and from what I have heard they don't hold up as well. Some people had rubbing problems also.

The newest one is Boa Boots. Much in the same line as an Old Mac but doesn't come over the hair line. Easier then Easy Boots but even the company(who now makes all three since they joined up with the Old Mac Company) admits that they don't hold up as well as the Easy boots. They where never meant to replace the Easy boots but to give another option to owners.

Another thing I have found is that it depends on the horse's hoof as to what is best for fit. Old macs fit some better but another style will fit a different horse better. So sometimes with a hard to fit horse you have to try different ones. I personally like the Boa and Easy boots better then Old Mac but I don't have a problem using any of the three if that is what works for that horse.
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  09:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Got a set of Old Macs for my old guy Teddie...I love em, he loves em...and after about half an hour of wearing them, he was able to trot, lope and do tight turns almost as good as barefoot. His confidence on gravel and rocks went up tremendously. They are built like tanks...mine have held up remarkably well...the quality is great, they are very solid and not flilmsy at all. Have had no rubbing problems with Teddie. Fairly easy to put on and take off (make sure to get horse used to sound of velcro first!!). They stay on great, even in mud and water. Main thing with Old Macs is to get the hooves measured right to get correct size. Like I said...I love em...and so does Teddie.

PS: I use them just the way you are talking about...put 'em on Teddie whenever we go on gravel roads or trail riding.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/05/2006 12:28:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  09:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Got a set of Old Macs for my old guy Teddie...I love em, he loves em...and after about half an hour of wearing them, he was able to trot, lope and do tight turns almost as good as barefoot. His confidence on gravel and rocks went up tremendously. They are built like tanks...mine have held up remarkably well...the quality is great, they are very solid and not flilmsy at all. Have had no rubbing problems with Teddie. Fairly easy to put on and take off (make sure to get horse used to sound of velcro first!!). They stay on great, even in mud and water. Main thing with Old Macs is to get the hooves measured right to get correct size. Like I said...I love em...and so does Teddie.

PS: I use them just the way you are talking about...put 'em on Teddie whenever we go on gravel roads or trail riding.

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 01/05/2006 12:28:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jacobs Buddy
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  9:03:19 PM  Show Profile Send Jacobs Buddy a Private Message
I have seen the easy boot used. but I thought the easy boot was only used for medication and wasn't ment to be used for riding. They are less expensive. But the Old mac's look more like a hiking boot. I think I will start with the easy boot however and see how he does with boots on. Then later if I can afford it I will try the old mac's. If I like the whole boot thing I may have to have a pair for both horses. I was thinking just on the front. Do you use them on the front or on all four?

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  09:23:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I just use 'em on the front.

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  11:15:51 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
"Easy" boots are anything but easy. They are a real PAIN to get on and a bigger pain to get off and have little cleat things that dig into the hoof and they made me say things I can't type here! LOL!! I imagine they're like most things though in that once you get used to them, they're fairly easy to use.

I invested in a pair of Boa boots last fall after Joe had another abcess but the size I got fits the front & not the back which is where I wanted to use them! I haven't had them on other than to let him walk around some in the dry lot since he had shoes on the front. The Boa's are VERY easy to get on & off and Joe seemed to adjust fairly quickly to them. The fit is VERY important. I got #1's for Joe & he reminded me of a kid wearing a parent's shoes. He clumped around, scraping one against the other when taking a step & they did turn slightly on his hoof.

The only negative (other than the price) that I've read was that the boot can be tightened too much & bruise the coronary band.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  1:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I wish the company would tell you all of the tricks to EZ boots. Those metal points can be bend down, totally if needed, or you can duct tape them(can't you duct tape anything!). And they are easy once you get use to them but the company doesn't tell you half of what you need to know. It took them years to start selling them with the straps to put them on and a lot of people didn't know that trick until they did.

EZ boots aren't just for med. reasons. They did have a special on that was for that reason only but the reg. and epic boots are for riding and I believe they are still top on the market(if you also count in the Epic which is bascily the same but with the gators).

Here is a website that helps with the EZ boots. http://www.redwrench.com/EZboot/karen/karen.html So much easier to got them on and off once you know how to fit them and all the little tricks.

It's personal choice and what I end up doing now is using whatever I feel like on that day. I still prefer my Easyboots for winter, all four feet, 3-4 ice studs per boot but I think that is in part because I already have my winter boots set up so why buy something else to alter to what I want. Now I just need to pick up a pair of the New Easy Bares to see how those work!
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  7:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
IMO, Easyboots are the best buy for the money. Yes, they are a bit hard to get on & off, but stay on pretty well once they are adjusted right. Can't remember for sure how long I've been using them...I know it has been over 10 years, and I still have a boot left from one of the first sets I bought.

The link Stormie posted has some good tips. One thing I do that I didn't see on there is to give the boot a little tap at the toe to help set it before letting the horse put its foot down.

I have used them on both the front & back, or just one or the other. In the summer, I usually have my horses shod in front, but not in back. If they are in a situation where their hind feet might get sore, then I'll put the boots on back.

A funny thing happened back in August. RH & I were riding at Salamonie, & it was pretty muddy. I had Easyboots on my mare's hind feet, and, surprisingly, they were still there at the end of the ride. However, they came off while she was at the hitch rail, when she stomped to remove a fly!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Jacobs Buddy
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  10:52:52 PM  Show Profile Send Jacobs Buddy a Private Message
Hey thanks for all the great advice. I was just at our local Fleet & Farm store this weekend (trying hard to fight the earg to buy more horse stuff)and I see they have a boot there (I can't recall the brand name) but it looked to be something of a cross between the easy boot and The Old mac. Price about the same as easy boot. I looked a bit easier to get on and off then the eazy boot. I think went Jacob recovers from his spranded tendon I will give them a try. I will post my findings when that time comes. I don't know if any of you get the Valley Vet Supply Catalog? But in the fall 2005 equine edition on page 122 there is what they call Barrier Boot. That looks like the one I saw at the store.

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  12:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
The Barrier Boot is only to replace a shoe for a short time or med. reasons and not for riding. They don't hold up for riding at all, they just aren't made to stay on or hold up for riding. You would be better off with the Easy boots.
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  07:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
OT to Jacobs Buddy- According to the HAA by-laws, it is futile to fight the urge to buy anything of an equine nature...the least that you can walk out of F&F with is a magazine, but as Director of Acquisisions (sp? it's early) I'd prefer that you spend between $30 and $50 before exitting the store. ;)

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  09:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I'm with Saddletramp on this one. And really, Jacobs Buddy, it's not smart to just purchase and use one brand of horse boots. You'd be much better off purchasing three or four brands and letting your horse decide which one is the most comfortable. Also, try several different colors...your horse will like and appreciate the variety.

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

Jacobs Buddy
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  10:25:45 PM  Show Profile Send Jacobs Buddy a Private Message
hello,
Stormie.. Well I am going to have to reserch this a little more. But I guess I will have plenty of time as jacob is lame now and it looks like it will be some time before we will be riding again.

ST
yes I did get wormer and some other things about $30.00 bucks worth. And those magazines. You should see the collection I have started.

Flooper,
Yes I could get one of each. Line them all up in a row on the floor and let him pick one. I bet jake wouldn't have a problem with that. lol lol He would think they are toys. He has already started picking out his wraps for the day. His color of preference is purple. lol lol

Edited by - Jacobs Buddy on 01/11/2006 10:29:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  05:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Mrs Hook just ordered a set of Old Macs for for Profit on-line. She's been debating for quite awhile. We do have the EasyBoots but she figures tha OLD MACS will be more suitable. the Vet Dr. Donna uses them so they have to be good..... right?
Will let you know how they work out.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Jacobs Buddy
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  11:20:33 PM  Show Profile Send Jacobs Buddy a Private Message
Thanks Hook that would be great. I still think the Old Macs look best. Just don't care much for the price. But if they do the job and hold up, could be worth the investment.

Go to Top of Page

tuffstuff
Tenderfoot

12 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  5:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit tuffstuff's Homepage Send tuffstuff a Private Message
Well, I got here a little late but one of my horses too has soft feet and gets lame from gravel, pavement, etc. She gets hideous sole bruises.

I bought a pair of Old Macs back in December b/c we were going to be going on a 20 mile trail ride on a hard-packed road with gravel one weekend and the next in a 5 mile parade. She did great in them, no ouchies, no lameness. We galloped several times for about 1/2 mile on the hard gravel trail with no stumbles!!! YAY! She usually stumbles on any type of ground and it gets kinda scary.

Mine have held up well but I recommend you get the bootie things that works like a sock but skip the inserts - they're for special cases and a waste of money otherwise.

Hope this helps!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000