Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 DE ride proposal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  12:09:09 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
Mr. Parrot and I have trail ridden in 6 states and the absolutely best trail riding I have ever done, is Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois.

I purpose we have a DE ride in SNF at Bear Branch Campground and Resort weekend of June 9/10/11 or June 16/17/18.
Contacts and photos on Bear Branch website http://wwwBearBranch.com and SNF http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/shawnee/ and neighboring campground http://www.hayescanyon.com/coppermine/index.php.

Here are some facts.
A coggins test is required for intrastate travel.
Illinois requires health papers less than 30 days old with an access number that is obtained by your veterinarian. The access number is at no extra charge.

Eddyville IL. from

Bicknell IN..........131 miles
Paoli IN..............176 miles
Pocahontas AK..196 miles
Frankfort KY.......224 miles
Verona KY........267 miles
Crown Point IN....345 miles
Huntington IN.....409 miles
Etna Green IN ...448 miles
Solon IA............471 miles
Hillsdale MI.........532 miles
Ravenna MI......543 miles
Alden NY...........738 miles

448 miles divided by 10 mpg=44.8 gal times $2.59 per gal. (subject to change) =$116.032 for fuel. The riding is priceless.

As last year after a date and place is decided upon each person will make their own arrangements.
A carry in for Saturday night is a must and maybe we can plan some simple games.
I'll bring the tennis balls.
Jill

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  2:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Ohhhhhhh....I'm very interested....don't know if I can swing it this year (we have our every other year Chinese Daughters Reunion this year), but I sure will see If I can work it out.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  2:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Ohhhhhhh....I'm very interested....don't know if I can swing it this year (we have our every other year Chinese Daughters Reunion this year), but I sure will see If I can work it out.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  2:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
C'mon Flooper, here's your chance to try out that new truck!!!!

Just make sure we do it when it's cooler than last year, Willie complained about the heat the whole way home!
Go to Top of Page

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  2:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
C'mon Flooper, here's your chance to try out that new truck!!!!

Just make sure we do it when it's cooler than last year, Willie complained about the heat the whole way home!
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  4:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Sounds wonderful to me! Some of our friends went last year and I don't know where they went, but it was pretty rough. They said the group doesn't go out unless someone in the group carries a pistol....In case you have to put a horse down while you're out!!!!!!!! Now I don't know about you all, but if it's that rough, I might have to think on that pretty hard. But I would LOVE to get together for a ride! Set a date!
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  4:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Sounds wonderful to me! Some of our friends went last year and I don't know where they went, but it was pretty rough. They said the group doesn't go out unless someone in the group carries a pistol....In case you have to put a horse down while you're out!!!!!!!! Now I don't know about you all, but if it's that rough, I might have to think on that pretty hard. But I would LOVE to get together for a ride! Set a date!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  5:49:32 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
You are all making me green with envy!! Serously, this sounds like a fun time, if I were closer I'd be definitely giving some thought to this. Hmmmmm... SBower where are you??
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  5:49:32 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
You are all making me green with envy!! Serously, this sounds like a fun time, if I were closer I'd be definitely giving some thought to this. Hmmmmm... SBower where are you??
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  6:29:47 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
Beccajane,
If you can do Brown County or Harrison Crawford you can do Shawnee National. Though it is not for the unconditioned horse or rider, the trails are not rougher, just more majestic.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  6:29:47 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
Beccajane,
If you can do Brown County or Harrison Crawford you can do Shawnee National. Though it is not for the unconditioned horse or rider, the trails are not rougher, just more majestic.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  9:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
PH...
I've never been to either, but we do go to Greene Sullivan frequently. It is old stripper pits, up and down quite a bit. Some steep hills, some not so steep. Mostly woods. The very back part is gorgeous...a fairly gradual climb through a pine woods. On top of the hill is a place to rest...body and horse...then back down. So peaceful and aromatic! Aaaahhh let's go! As I said...set a date. There will be two of us. Count us in!
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  9:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
PH...
I've never been to either, but we do go to Greene Sullivan frequently. It is old stripper pits, up and down quite a bit. Some steep hills, some not so steep. Mostly woods. The very back part is gorgeous...a fairly gradual climb through a pine woods. On top of the hill is a place to rest...body and horse...then back down. So peaceful and aromatic! Aaaahhh let's go! As I said...set a date. There will be two of us. Count us in!
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  9:32:07 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
My prefered date is June 9/10/11, but I'm flexiable.
Mr Parrot and I will probably spend a full week there.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  9:32:07 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
My prefered date is June 9/10/11, but I'm flexiable.
Mr Parrot and I will probably spend a full week there.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
which campground? And do we need to make reservations?
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
which campground? And do we need to make reservations?
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  08:30:00 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
I've also heard that the riding there is pretty rugged in some area with horses having to jump up and/or down 3-4 ft ledges flanked by deep ravines. My question is how rocky is it there?

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  08:30:00 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
I've also heard that the riding there is pretty rugged in some area with horses having to jump up and/or down 3-4 ft ledges flanked by deep ravines. My question is how rocky is it there?

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  1:50:22 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
beccajane, let's maybe hold off on the reservations until we get more feedback from other members regarding the dates.
We have never been to Bear Branch, but it looks like it has all the amenities we would need.

Has anyone else here ridden that neck of the woods before?

Budman, would June a better month than July was for Wille?

Yes appygirl there are many tall tales about SNF. Mine keep getting bigger with each telling. In the forest, unless they have changed the rules, Lusk Creek is the only place there are set trails a horse must stay on, the rest of the forest is fair game. Needless to say some folks get into trouble (and lost) going off the beaten path. Are there places that are dangerous? Yes of course. Is it rocky? Absolutely. The rocks are as large as houses, and cars, and in some cases apartment buildings.

One trail we took up NoNo rock was a gradual wooded incline for half to three quarters of a mile. At the top of the very wide rock where people were picnicking, the earth dropped away for a gorgeous 300 view. My eyes opened wide and I croaked, "how are we ever going to down off here"? "Oh just take that trail" pointed the man with his 5 yr old child on double. Sure 'nough there was a trail and down it we went

I am embarrassed to reveal I am a Nervous Nellie rider and WILL NOT get close to drop-offs. Although there are many times I have gotten off and walked my horse,none of those times were in Shawnee. But hey, I haven't been to all of the forest yet.

One trail took us along the top of a ridge where we tied the horses in the trees, and went to eat our lunch on the rocks over looking Lost Horse Canyon. The vultures were circling on the air currents above and below us so close Mr. Parrot warned me not to nap very long.

The River to River trail is a fairly level mutli use trail located minuets away from Bear Branch which we used as a "horsie superhighway" to gait quickly from campground to campground.

Some of the best pictures I have found of the area are on the Hays Canyon Campground website .Hays is located just north of the Bear Branch Resort and some of the pics are of areas we will ride. http://www.hayescanyon.com/ then choose Photos, and then trails photos. The quality is pretty good so you can enlarge them quite a bit and see the detail.

Since we have been there last, there have been issues about closing trails that riders have faced everywhere. The Shawnee Forest Horse Camp Association has been formed and the organization has been allowed to mark and map the trails. There are eight campgrounds in the association operating out of the forest. Horse camping is big business there.

I would love to ride with ya all in our favorite forest.

Ya think Bear Branch would pay me a commission?

Jill

Edited by - Parrothead on 01/05/2006 2:43:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  5:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message

glad to hear your confession about being a Nervous Nellie rider...now I don't feel so bad. Now you know ALL my weaknesses...mounting block, nervous nellie,.......etc...etc.. As I said before, Greene Sullivan can get rough in a few places. But my little man has taken very good care of me so far. I saw the pics at Bear Branch website...GORGEOUS! I think I may have talked my riding buddy to come with me. We are both a lettle unsure of Shawnee, now that we are....ummm... older. But if the group as a whole are as "careful" as we are, I think we could make it. I hope it works out.........
Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  7:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
Some friends of mine have been to the shawnee forest and loved it!! I wont be able to make the drive out there, but would love to someday.

Count me in as one of the "nervous nellies" LOL I have gotten off and walked in a few places myself I am not too fond of steep drop offs and heights either.

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April
Go to Top of Page

Charlies mom
Beginning Rider

67 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  8:15:22 PM  Show Profile Send Charlies mom a Private Message
Ive always wanted to go there but hated the long drive. June is a busy month at work and not sure if I can take off but will definitely consider it. Is it safe for my kids 8 and 13 yr olds.? They have their own horses and do pretty good? Theyd be out of school and I would have a hard time going without them. Does anyone else have kids they would bring or is this an adult kinda thing?
Charlies mom
Go to Top of Page

Jacobs Buddy
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  9:15:59 PM  Show Profile Send Jacobs Buddy a Private Message
Oh gee wizz I wish I could go! That sounds like such a good time. But I am not much on hauling long distance. Aren't there any DE members in Wisconsin that we could organized a ride.

I whisper but my horse don't listen.
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  08:41:24 AM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
How rocky are the trails? the reason I ask this is I would hate to find myself on a trail system much like that I found myself in in VA. Trails there were so rocky that it was too dangerous to ride on (in my opinion). This was in the Mt. Rogers Recreational area. The trails were nothing but rocks; you couldn't see a speck of dirt anywhere.

Appygirl

The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,

Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  10:42:14 AM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
ohhhh sorry appygirl. Now I get it. Sometimes I am so slow on the up take. The VA rocks must be kinda like the PA rocks we encountered. In spite of the wonderful food at that camp and one of the funest (is that a word?) river crossings, we will not be going back. Just too much of a struggle.

If anyone else on the board has been to Shawnee NF please speak up and let us know what you thought of the place.

Jill
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000