Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Wheeeee! New-2-me Truckie ???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  7:44:41 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Flooper, okay, it's all Greek to me (the thread) but I'm getting the gist of it. I just called Seller and he doesn't know what the gear set is, he said he was sure it's in the 300s (well, most of the thread talks about 300s). Seller said only reason he was worried about hills was if I got a trailer without brakes (that ain't gonna happen). He said if trailer has brakes, hills shouldn't be a problem.

I asked him if it was anything you could call "gutless" and he said "No, it'll go, it'll move." (That's not the response I wanted to hear, LOL). I'll just have to wait until Tues. to find out what numbers are on the inside of glove compartment.

Okay, NOW I'm starting to see how all this starts, in terms of obsessions with bigger badder trucks. Oh, dear, what have I gotten myself into? ROFL!

Well, one step at a time.

Indiana, eh??
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  8:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW,
You'll be able to pull just fine. Remember, some of those guys on the forum would be afraid to pull a go cart with anything less than a diesel 1-ton dually...so you have to take what they say with grain of salt. When someone says a motor is "gutless" that can just mean it may have to slow down to 45 or so going up a hill...no big deal...it's not a race anyway. Remember, to some of the folks on that towing forum, a truck has to be able to accelerate going up a hill with a 12K trailer behind it or its worthless. This is your first truck for towing...it will teach you what you want and don't want...it won't be perfect, and you may soon wish for more power, etc...but the truck will tow your 2H bumper pull, I assure you. It probably will not be able to handle a gooseneck, because of higher pin weight, etc. As far as trailers, I'd still go for that aluminum one you were looking at...aluminum seems to last forever, and from what I've seen they hold their value longer.

Also, on the cross country, over 500 mile trips with your new old truck...I don't blame the guy. I would keep it closer to home myself with a truck that old and with that many miles...chances of a breakdown are higher, and better to be closer to home if you have a break down. With a truck that old, you just have to baby it a little bit...they do break easier. But if you take care of it and don't abuse it or try and drive it like a new truck, it should give you many good miles. Just take it easy on the old feller. PS: Any truck that has made it 195,000 miles and has a nickname has been a good truck...and with a little care will probably continue to be a good truck for a few more years...but nothing lasts forever.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  8:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW,
You'll be able to pull just fine. Remember, some of those guys on the forum would be afraid to pull a go cart with anything less than a diesel 1-ton dually...so you have to take what they say with grain of salt. When someone says a motor is "gutless" that can just mean it may have to slow down to 45 or so going up a hill...no big deal...it's not a race anyway. Remember, to some of the folks on that towing forum, a truck has to be able to accelerate going up a hill with a 12K trailer behind it or its worthless. This is your first truck for towing...it will teach you what you want and don't want...it won't be perfect, and you may soon wish for more power, etc...but the truck will tow your 2H bumper pull, I assure you. It probably will not be able to handle a gooseneck, because of higher pin weight, etc. As far as trailers, I'd still go for that aluminum one you were looking at...aluminum seems to last forever, and from what I've seen they hold their value longer.

Also, on the cross country, over 500 mile trips with your new old truck...I don't blame the guy. I would keep it closer to home myself with a truck that old and with that many miles...chances of a breakdown are higher, and better to be closer to home if you have a break down. With a truck that old, you just have to baby it a little bit...they do break easier. But if you take care of it and don't abuse it or try and drive it like a new truck, it should give you many good miles. Just take it easy on the old feller. PS: Any truck that has made it 195,000 miles and has a nickname has been a good truck...and with a little care will probably continue to be a good truck for a few more years...but nothing lasts forever.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  9:14:05 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

OTW,

Floop, I particularly liked your first sentence!

If those guys are truckie purists, then that's a relief. As long as Old Grey Mare will pull okay, then naw, I don't mind going 45 up hills, I'd probably be pretty inclined to never go over 65 and that's on a straight and flat with no bumps. Won't even go that fast until I'm pretty darned comfortable with live weight and whatever learning curves that presents.

As for taking it longer distance, I asked owner about that when I called to see if he knew gear set. He said his main reason was just because it's old. He said if I wanted to do that, what he'd strongly advise is taking it in to have it checked over "REAL GOOD" -- meaning belts, hoses, etc. and any other "etc." A clean bill of health type thing.

I'm not planning anything, just really having fun with the possibilities that were OUT of the question with Oddy.

ALUMINUM TRAILER: Alas, it got sold. "Snapped up" may be more like it. I now think it was probably quite a find. Now that I've looked at more ads, I believe it had almost no rust, it was definitely liteweight (I called manufacturer) and even tongue assembly had no rust on it from the pictures. He sold it for $3700. There's another like it about 2-1/4 hours away for $3500 but I'd have to check on it more in depth. Photos showed rust on tongue, but she said that was easy to scrape off and protect-paint. Maybe I will look at that alternative again.

But anything wrong with going with something like an 89 Valley? I figure It's probably steel, not aluminum. Any problem with that tho?

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  9:14:05 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by FLOOPER

OTW,

Floop, I particularly liked your first sentence!

If those guys are truckie purists, then that's a relief. As long as Old Grey Mare will pull okay, then naw, I don't mind going 45 up hills, I'd probably be pretty inclined to never go over 65 and that's on a straight and flat with no bumps. Won't even go that fast until I'm pretty darned comfortable with live weight and whatever learning curves that presents.

As for taking it longer distance, I asked owner about that when I called to see if he knew gear set. He said his main reason was just because it's old. He said if I wanted to do that, what he'd strongly advise is taking it in to have it checked over "REAL GOOD" -- meaning belts, hoses, etc. and any other "etc." A clean bill of health type thing.

I'm not planning anything, just really having fun with the possibilities that were OUT of the question with Oddy.

ALUMINUM TRAILER: Alas, it got sold. "Snapped up" may be more like it. I now think it was probably quite a find. Now that I've looked at more ads, I believe it had almost no rust, it was definitely liteweight (I called manufacturer) and even tongue assembly had no rust on it from the pictures. He sold it for $3700. There's another like it about 2-1/4 hours away for $3500 but I'd have to check on it more in depth. Photos showed rust on tongue, but she said that was easy to scrape off and protect-paint. Maybe I will look at that alternative again.

But anything wrong with going with something like an 89 Valley? I figure It's probably steel, not aluminum. Any problem with that tho?

Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  01:22:52 AM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
OTW I admire your research One more thing is to make sure you have the correct ball size for your trailer.

Prof. Flooper & ST are we still suffering from an overdose of eggnog.
The rectangular-hole thingamagiggie = the receiver
The insert = draw bar/ ball mount / hitch bar

OTW, I started with 96 explorer pulling 2h bp. Too much weight for SUV so I traded my Mustang(the car not a horse) in for a F150. Then it got to the point that we were hauling 1 horse and 2 ponies in the 2h bp. 11hh pony riding sideways in the front of the other 2. Now we have gone to a 92 F350 dually pulling a 3h slant load CM gooseneck with 4' short wall dressing room. Guess what. That 11hh pony rides double in the back area with another pony so we now have 4 riding in the 3h. Get the biggest and bestest you can the first time.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  01:22:52 AM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
OTW I admire your research One more thing is to make sure you have the correct ball size for your trailer.

Prof. Flooper & ST are we still suffering from an overdose of eggnog.
The rectangular-hole thingamagiggie = the receiver
The insert = draw bar/ ball mount / hitch bar

OTW, I started with 96 explorer pulling 2h bp. Too much weight for SUV so I traded my Mustang(the car not a horse) in for a F150. Then it got to the point that we were hauling 1 horse and 2 ponies in the 2h bp. 11hh pony riding sideways in the front of the other 2. Now we have gone to a 92 F350 dually pulling a 3h slant load CM gooseneck with 4' short wall dressing room. Guess what. That 11hh pony rides double in the back area with another pony so we now have 4 riding in the 3h. Get the biggest and bestest you can the first time.

Giddyup

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  06:03:30 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Giddyup, LOL! Now that's quite a progression! Actually, the most I would be pulling in my circumstances, no matter what (unless something gigantic changed in a huge way) would be 2 horses. Examples of ways that would happen would be I found a riding partner I just loved who had no trailer -OR- someone was giving away a perfectly sound, safe, no-vices, healthy, "beginner's horse" who needed nothing more than electric tape as fencing. (Fat chance of that.) Otherwise, I would not be pulling more than one horse.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  06:03:30 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Giddyup, LOL! Now that's quite a progression! Actually, the most I would be pulling in my circumstances, no matter what (unless something gigantic changed in a huge way) would be 2 horses. Examples of ways that would happen would be I found a riding partner I just loved who had no trailer -OR- someone was giving away a perfectly sound, safe, no-vices, healthy, "beginner's horse" who needed nothing more than electric tape as fencing. (Fat chance of that.) Otherwise, I would not be pulling more than one horse.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  06:13:51 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
FLOOPER OR ANYONE WHO KNOWS, when I was at owner's house doing transaction, in conversation, owner's wife referred to (as though she knew what she was talking about) "Class 2 hitch." I just automatically said, "It would have to be a Class 3 if you were pulling horses." She said maybe it was Class 3, she didn't know.

Later I re-played that. *IF* somehow they were using a Class 2 hitch (uh, pulling a 3H+ stock trailer), does that refer to the strength or type of the receiver part that attaches to the frame of the truck (square hole visibly) OR is that merely the ball assembly that I'm going to be buying anyway once I get trailer?

This is now driving me nuts because I forgot to ask seller when I called last night to see if he remembered what kind of gear set. I don't want to bother him again for question like that but it'll drive me nuts all day.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  06:13:51 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
FLOOPER OR ANYONE WHO KNOWS, when I was at owner's house doing transaction, in conversation, owner's wife referred to (as though she knew what she was talking about) "Class 2 hitch." I just automatically said, "It would have to be a Class 3 if you were pulling horses." She said maybe it was Class 3, she didn't know.

Later I re-played that. *IF* somehow they were using a Class 2 hitch (uh, pulling a 3H+ stock trailer), does that refer to the strength or type of the receiver part that attaches to the frame of the truck (square hole visibly) OR is that merely the ball assembly that I'm going to be buying anyway once I get trailer?

This is now driving me nuts because I forgot to ask seller when I called last night to see if he remembered what kind of gear set. I don't want to bother him again for question like that but it'll drive me nuts all day.
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  06:28:34 AM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
OTW, I found this pic I had on photo bucket of the kids ribbons but then I saw the trailer in the background.
Tis a 2h gooseneck with a small dressing room being pulled by shortbed chevy just like you bought. There so many options out there just keep looking.

You are right about the hitch. Just by looking at the size of the receiver on your truck I would say its at least Class III. Google reese hitch, lots of sites and info.

Giddyup

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  06:28:34 AM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
OTW, I found this pic I had on photo bucket of the kids ribbons but then I saw the trailer in the background.
Tis a 2h gooseneck with a small dressing room being pulled by shortbed chevy just like you bought. There so many options out there just keep looking.

You are right about the hitch. Just by looking at the size of the receiver on your truck I would say its at least Class III. Google reese hitch, lots of sites and info.

Giddyup

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  06:46:38 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Wow, that looks great. Floop mentioned he wasn't sure a gooseneck would work for my truck (???) Also, I need something that's easy to put on/take off if I'm alone. I have the line-up (Oddy-to-camper) down pretty pat, I can get it lined up without help within maybe 3 times getting out of my vehicle to look most of the time, but if gooseneck requires a lot of muscle (or expensive modification to truckie) then may not be a realistic possibility for me. As usual, I'm clueless, this is all new.

But more and more, a dressing room is appealing to me, still haven't seen one with, but if I could sleep in dressing room (camp mattress on floor) then that opens up lotsa possibilities.

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  06:46:38 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Wow, that looks great. Floop mentioned he wasn't sure a gooseneck would work for my truck (???) Also, I need something that's easy to put on/take off if I'm alone. I have the line-up (Oddy-to-camper) down pretty pat, I can get it lined up without help within maybe 3 times getting out of my vehicle to look most of the time, but if gooseneck requires a lot of muscle (or expensive modification to truckie) then may not be a realistic possibility for me. As usual, I'm clueless, this is all new.

But more and more, a dressing room is appealing to me, still haven't seen one with, but if I could sleep in dressing room (camp mattress on floor) then that opens up lotsa possibilities.

Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  06:59:00 AM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
You're almost there. Mattress will fit in the neck park. Have not done that yet with ours but might have to. Working rotating shifts and making all the shows they want to go to gets a little tuff without somewhere to take a nap.
Might get a little warm in the summer though without a/c but we won't go there right now.

Almost forgot no more muscle needed for gooseneck than bp. I'd say its a whole lot easier to line up because you can see the ball in the bed of the truck. Just backup under the pin and let-r-down.

The forum Flooper sent you to is on the Trailer World website. Lots and lots of trailers with a great search engine for new and used.
Good luck.

Giddyup

Morgan's riding log

Edited by - giddyupmorgan on 01/02/2006 07:06:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  06:59:00 AM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
You're almost there. Mattress will fit in the neck park. Have not done that yet with ours but might have to. Working rotating shifts and making all the shows they want to go to gets a little tuff without somewhere to take a nap.
Might get a little warm in the summer though without a/c but we won't go there right now.

Almost forgot no more muscle needed for gooseneck than bp. I'd say its a whole lot easier to line up because you can see the ball in the bed of the truck. Just backup under the pin and let-r-down.

The forum Flooper sent you to is on the Trailer World website. Lots and lots of trailers with a great search engine for new and used.
Good luck.

Giddyup

Morgan's riding log

Edited by - giddyupmorgan on 01/02/2006 07:06:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  09:50:30 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Hmmmm, interesting! Flooper said something about the point of weight being too high (pin weight? In a rush right now or would scroll back). But line-up convenience sounds great! My camper doesn't have A/C either, I use fans in there and that works. If it were too hot to sleep in trailer, I'd just tent and hope, lol. And keep a bucket of water nearby and wear a tee-shirt (keeps you cool if wet) and not come out without an overshirt, lol.

Going to look at a bare bones valley bp today on my way to seacoast, priced cheap (1989) -- I have a feeling it won't be for me, now thinking dressing room.

Do you know how expensive whatever hookup that's needed is in back of truck is for a gooseneck??
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  09:50:30 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Hmmmm, interesting! Flooper said something about the point of weight being too high (pin weight? In a rush right now or would scroll back). But line-up convenience sounds great! My camper doesn't have A/C either, I use fans in there and that works. If it were too hot to sleep in trailer, I'd just tent and hope, lol. And keep a bucket of water nearby and wear a tee-shirt (keeps you cool if wet) and not come out without an overshirt, lol.

Going to look at a bare bones valley bp today on my way to seacoast, priced cheap (1989) -- I have a feeling it won't be for me, now thinking dressing room.

Do you know how expensive whatever hookup that's needed is in back of truck is for a gooseneck??
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  09:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
I may have the opportunity to sell my two-horse, and if I do, I'm gonna shop for a two-horse with dressing room.....I'd prefer a gooseneck but will look at bumperpulls too.

Question for the trailer gurus:

When talking about horse trailers, we use the term "gooseneck", when talking about travel trailers, the term is "fifth wheel"....why the difference? Is "gooseneck" not an appreciated term when describing a $55,000 rig?? lol

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  09:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
I may have the opportunity to sell my two-horse, and if I do, I'm gonna shop for a two-horse with dressing room.....I'd prefer a gooseneck but will look at bumperpulls too.

Question for the trailer gurus:

When talking about horse trailers, we use the term "gooseneck", when talking about travel trailers, the term is "fifth wheel"....why the difference? Is "gooseneck" not an appreciated term when describing a $55,000 rig?? lol

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  10:09:49 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Saddletramp, this may sound like a really stupid question, but what are the uses people usually put to dressing rooms? Bear in mind up until now (and only in the last month) I was even thinking of getting a horse trailer. I assume, changing clothes, of course. At first I thought this was mainly for people showing horses -- drive there in comfies, then have a place to get "Brittish" looking or whatever. But what else do people use horse trailer "dressing rooms" for? Storage? Tack? Sleeping in if you're roughing it? Reconciliation conferences after a fight with non-horsey husbands? A place to beat the children or hide the mother-in-law or stash the cash or tiny computer station? I don't even know how big these are.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  10:09:49 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Saddletramp, this may sound like a really stupid question, but what are the uses people usually put to dressing rooms? Bear in mind up until now (and only in the last month) I was even thinking of getting a horse trailer. I assume, changing clothes, of course. At first I thought this was mainly for people showing horses -- drive there in comfies, then have a place to get "Brittish" looking or whatever. But what else do people use horse trailer "dressing rooms" for? Storage? Tack? Sleeping in if you're roughing it? Reconciliation conferences after a fight with non-horsey husbands? A place to beat the children or hide the mother-in-law or stash the cash or tiny computer station? I don't even know how big these are.
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  11:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
OTW-

Dressing rooms are used for all of the above!! You are 100% correct! lol

When looking at ads for trailers with dressing rooms, if it is a slant trailer, usually the seller will list two measurements....the "short" wall and the "long" wall which will give you an idea of the size. Have seen some DRs that were just big enough to turn around in, others had room for a mattress plus. For me, a dressing room is just gonna give me soooo much more space than a simple tack compartment, with better accessability.

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  11:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
OTW-

Dressing rooms are used for all of the above!! You are 100% correct! lol

When looking at ads for trailers with dressing rooms, if it is a slant trailer, usually the seller will list two measurements....the "short" wall and the "long" wall which will give you an idea of the size. Have seen some DRs that were just big enough to turn around in, others had room for a mattress plus. For me, a dressing room is just gonna give me soooo much more space than a simple tack compartment, with better accessability.

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000