Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Wheeeee! New-2-me Truckie ???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  10:46:06 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But then suddenly this ad appeared, and it was mis-filed. Posted in the wrong place. Just interesting, that's all.

Parrot, maybe the odyssey gods were telling me to listen to Flooper and everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  10:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
My job here as director of acquisitions is almost finished....OnTheWay...when are you picking up that second horse? You know...Cloud's buddy...?

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  10:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
My job here as director of acquisitions is almost finished....OnTheWay...when are you picking up that second horse? You know...Cloud's buddy...?

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  11:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW,

Hey, for $1200, you got a heck of a deal I think. On a truck that old, you have to expect a few rusted out spots, some rotted rubber around the windows, etc. You'll quickly start wondering how you ever owned a horse without a truck. Anyway, I think you made a good decision, and the mechanic checked a lot of the important things. I would have the guy pay for the brake line being fixed, though. Also...drop-in bedliners tend to rub paint off, and that can start to cause rust. If it's just surface rust, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is eating a hole through the bed, that's another story. I'll look around on the net to see if I can find your towing capacity. But I'm pretty sure you won't have any trouble pulling a 2H bumper pull.

PS: DON'T use the bumper hitch ball for hauling your horse trailer ((I saw it in the picture). Make sure you use the frame-mounted receiver. But you probably already knew that!!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  11:04:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW,

Hey, for $1200, you got a heck of a deal I think. On a truck that old, you have to expect a few rusted out spots, some rotted rubber around the windows, etc. You'll quickly start wondering how you ever owned a horse without a truck. Anyway, I think you made a good decision, and the mechanic checked a lot of the important things. I would have the guy pay for the brake line being fixed, though. Also...drop-in bedliners tend to rub paint off, and that can start to cause rust. If it's just surface rust, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is eating a hole through the bed, that's another story. I'll look around on the net to see if I can find your towing capacity. But I'm pretty sure you won't have any trouble pulling a 2H bumper pull.

PS: DON'T use the bumper hitch ball for hauling your horse trailer ((I saw it in the picture). Make sure you use the frame-mounted receiver. But you probably already knew that!!

Flooper

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  11:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW,

Here is a link I found on the towing forum I belong to that has some info about your truck that will be helpful. Also, it seems that your truck is basically the same truck as all Chevys up through 1999, when they changed styles. Same body, frame, etc....with different improvements each year. So your towing capacity will be very similar to any truck going up to the 1999 model year. Also, do you know the rear gears on the truck? Are they 3.73 (good for towing) or 3.42 (not so good for towing). I believe those were the most common rears on that year of Chevy. Anyway, read this thread, and it will tell you down in one of the posts how to find your gears. Hope this helps.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16043448.cfm

Just reading the thread, I got this out of it...your truck can probably pull about 6500 to 7000 lbs, and the 350 is supposedly a bullet-proof motor that you have to work hard to kill!!

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 12/31/2005 11:54:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  11:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
OTW,

Here is a link I found on the towing forum I belong to that has some info about your truck that will be helpful. Also, it seems that your truck is basically the same truck as all Chevys up through 1999, when they changed styles. Same body, frame, etc....with different improvements each year. So your towing capacity will be very similar to any truck going up to the 1999 model year. Also, do you know the rear gears on the truck? Are they 3.73 (good for towing) or 3.42 (not so good for towing). I believe those were the most common rears on that year of Chevy. Anyway, read this thread, and it will tell you down in one of the posts how to find your gears. Hope this helps.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16043448.cfm

Just reading the thread, I got this out of it...your truck can probably pull about 6500 to 7000 lbs, and the 350 is supposedly a bullet-proof motor that you have to work hard to kill!!

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 12/31/2005 11:54:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  12:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Sounds like you got a great deal (except for the gas mileage, lucky you don't live in S. Cal and pay our gas prices!!) Congrats!!
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  12:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Sounds like you got a great deal (except for the gas mileage, lucky you don't live in S. Cal and pay our gas prices!!) Congrats!!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  1:22:34 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Ooo, I've never heard anything about 3.73 or 3.42 on rear wheels, I'll see if I can find that out.

Flooper, 6500 lbs. would be great, except I don't know that my motor is a 350 anything. All I know is the ad said it was a GMC crate engine. How would I tell if it's a 350? Now with a truck I don't have to be as worried about trailer weight. I was looking at only things around 2000 lbs (and adding for floor mats, spare tire or any rolls of TP I'd have added) when considering pulling with the Oddy. There are a whole lot more used trailers that exceed that so I can now look at those, say maybe up to 3,000 lbs.? (Still think the lighter the better.) If I add my horse (Calling her 1100 lbs. but I suspect she's closer to 1000) then that 6500 lbs. if it tows that, should be plenti-good.

I'll go over to that website and see what I can find, except if the engine's been replaced then I'm not sure if the original figures would apply? Wish I knew more about these things.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  1:22:34 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Ooo, I've never heard anything about 3.73 or 3.42 on rear wheels, I'll see if I can find that out.

Flooper, 6500 lbs. would be great, except I don't know that my motor is a 350 anything. All I know is the ad said it was a GMC crate engine. How would I tell if it's a 350? Now with a truck I don't have to be as worried about trailer weight. I was looking at only things around 2000 lbs (and adding for floor mats, spare tire or any rolls of TP I'd have added) when considering pulling with the Oddy. There are a whole lot more used trailers that exceed that so I can now look at those, say maybe up to 3,000 lbs.? (Still think the lighter the better.) If I add my horse (Calling her 1100 lbs. but I suspect she's closer to 1000) then that 6500 lbs. if it tows that, should be plenti-good.

I'll go over to that website and see what I can find, except if the engine's been replaced then I'm not sure if the original figures would apply? Wish I knew more about these things.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  1:27:51 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
OTW; The last truck I had was an '89 Silverado half ton with a 305 V8. It wasn't a 4x4, but it got excellent gas mileage... around 15 mpg. I pulled my 2-horse bumper hitch with a 4 foot dressing room with no problem. That's with the dressing room loaded with camping equipment and hauling 2 horses. We hauled a horse from Huntington IN to Oklahoma City & back twice with no problems and not a space to spare in the trailer or the truck from everything we took with us including a 2 wheeled bench seat horse drawn jog cart. That's about a 1000 mile trip one way.

Anyway, this might give you an idea what to expect on what you can haul with your new toy.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 12/31/2005 1:30:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  1:27:51 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
OTW; The last truck I had was an '89 Silverado half ton with a 305 V8. It wasn't a 4x4, but it got excellent gas mileage... around 15 mpg. I pulled my 2-horse bumper hitch with a 4 foot dressing room with no problem. That's with the dressing room loaded with camping equipment and hauling 2 horses. We hauled a horse from Huntington IN to Oklahoma City & back twice with no problems and not a space to spare in the trailer or the truck from everything we took with us including a 2 wheeled bench seat horse drawn jog cart. That's about a 1000 mile trip one way.

Anyway, this might give you an idea what to expect on what you can haul with your new toy.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 12/31/2005 1:30:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  1:36:22 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Ah, sorry, ad said GMC crate engine, then 5.7 liter and V-8. Also just noticed part about codes in glove box, which I can look up, (for rear gears?) but wouldn't that have changed because it has rebuilt tranny as well? Or are the rear gears part of the rebuilt tranny, or just work along with it?

LOL, we're talking "ignorant" here when it comes to trucks, cars or anything else on wheels. But I'm a great cook! ;-D

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  1:36:22 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Ah, sorry, ad said GMC crate engine, then 5.7 liter and V-8. Also just noticed part about codes in glove box, which I can look up, (for rear gears?) but wouldn't that have changed because it has rebuilt tranny as well? Or are the rear gears part of the rebuilt tranny, or just work along with it?

LOL, we're talking "ignorant" here when it comes to trucks, cars or anything else on wheels. But I'm a great cook! ;-D

Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  2:19:59 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
Speaking of acquisitions......if ya got a two horse gooseneck with a 4-6' short wall instead of a 2 horse bumper pull, you could take up camping and join us for the next DE ride.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  2:19:59 PM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
Speaking of acquisitions......if ya got a two horse gooseneck with a 4-6' short wall instead of a 2 horse bumper pull, you could take up camping and join us for the next DE ride.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  3:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Ooops...shoulda mentioned...a 5.7L IS a 350...5.7 liters of displacement AKA 350 cubic inches of displacement...just liters vs metric. Sorry...shoulda mentioned that...so yeah, you got a 350 V8. Here is a thread I started over on the towing forum about your truck, and some of the answers I got. Find out what your gears are in the rear, and it will answer a lot of questions. Just remember when you're reading this thread that these guys are like super, super into tow vehicles, and you can get bogged down in their minutia really fast. Bottom line...you'll be able to tow your bumper pull just fine...even with the 3.08s the one guy said were horrible...you'll just be able to tow a lot more with the 3.73s. Anyway, read this thread.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16779418.cfm

PS: rears are not part of the tranny...but they may have been changed or replaced due to 195,000 miles...(probably dang near everything has been replaced)..., but most likely would have been replaced with same or lower gears (higher number, like 4:10) since truck was used fot towing. Chances are, they are same as came on the truck. Let me know what the glove box code is.

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 12/31/2005 3:08:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  3:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Ooops...shoulda mentioned...a 5.7L IS a 350...5.7 liters of displacement AKA 350 cubic inches of displacement...just liters vs metric. Sorry...shoulda mentioned that...so yeah, you got a 350 V8. Here is a thread I started over on the towing forum about your truck, and some of the answers I got. Find out what your gears are in the rear, and it will answer a lot of questions. Just remember when you're reading this thread that these guys are like super, super into tow vehicles, and you can get bogged down in their minutia really fast. Bottom line...you'll be able to tow your bumper pull just fine...even with the 3.08s the one guy said were horrible...you'll just be able to tow a lot more with the 3.73s. Anyway, read this thread.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/16779418.cfm

PS: rears are not part of the tranny...but they may have been changed or replaced due to 195,000 miles...(probably dang near everything has been replaced)..., but most likely would have been replaced with same or lower gears (higher number, like 4:10) since truck was used fot towing. Chances are, they are same as came on the truck. Let me know what the glove box code is.

Flooper

Edited by - FLOOPER on 12/31/2005 3:08:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  5:44:19 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Flooper, mechanic said there are various things that will have to be done, I only told the seller about the stuff that shoulda been right based on ad's claims, not the rest of stuff that was mentioned. By the time I pay for those things that should have been right, we're at seller's asking price, so that's fine, and seller said he'd rather deduct the brake line part and have mechanic do it so he wouldn't have to deal with it.

FLOOP, your PS is not understood. Are you talking about the Reese hitch? The shiny one mounted so it's most noticeable? That's exactly what I was planning on using, you're saying not to?? What other hitch are you talking about? There's a rectangular hole under that just like on my Oddy and a hitch assembly w/ball slides into that, a bar goes through it, and then a pin keeps the bar in place. Mine is also a Reese hitch. I'm now confused, and I didn't already know that.

Please advise!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  5:44:19 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Flooper, mechanic said there are various things that will have to be done, I only told the seller about the stuff that shoulda been right based on ad's claims, not the rest of stuff that was mentioned. By the time I pay for those things that should have been right, we're at seller's asking price, so that's fine, and seller said he'd rather deduct the brake line part and have mechanic do it so he wouldn't have to deal with it.

FLOOP, your PS is not understood. Are you talking about the Reese hitch? The shiny one mounted so it's most noticeable? That's exactly what I was planning on using, you're saying not to?? What other hitch are you talking about? There's a rectangular hole under that just like on my Oddy and a hitch assembly w/ball slides into that, a bar goes through it, and then a pin keeps the bar in place. Mine is also a Reese hitch. I'm now confused, and I didn't already know that.

Please advise!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  6:08:46 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Forgot to mention, when it rains it pours. A friend called me about another truck, at xlnt. price after I made the deal on this one. I didn't get into it, I'd already made the deal and I've sure invested time into this one, but guess the Oddy Gods are really serious about not using one of their babies for this purpose, lol.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  6:08:46 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Forgot to mention, when it rains it pours. A friend called me about another truck, at xlnt. price after I made the deal on this one. I didn't get into it, I'd already made the deal and I've sure invested time into this one, but guess the Oddy Gods are really serious about not using one of their babies for this purpose, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  6:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
"There's a rectangular hole under that just like on my Oddy and a hitch assembly w/ball slides into that, a bar goes through it, and then a pin keeps the bar in place. Mine is also a Reese hitch. I'm now confused, and I didn't already know that."

Yep...use that thar rectangular hole-thingamagiggie....do NOT use the shiny ball-thing. lol

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  6:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
"There's a rectangular hole under that just like on my Oddy and a hitch assembly w/ball slides into that, a bar goes through it, and then a pin keeps the bar in place. Mine is also a Reese hitch. I'm now confused, and I didn't already know that."

Yep...use that thar rectangular hole-thingamagiggie....do NOT use the shiny ball-thing. lol

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000