Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 Trails
 Wheeeee! New-2-me Truckie ???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  9:15:57 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Okay, you guys, you all made your points about towing a lightweight 2-horse trailer with ONE horse in it with my "well-equipped-for-towing Odyssey where the numbers worked," but you were worried anyway...

and I LISTENED. So don't ever say your advice didn't matter.

I do believe I bought a truckie! I think an oldie but goodie, too.

Female War story: To make a long story short, after I drove 1-1/2 hours each way to go see it, it couldn't be driven because a brake line was broke and not yet fixed; and also it had no registration or plates. (Awwwwwk??)

Well, that zaps getting to take it to a mechanic, and I know zip about trucks. So my opinion from "looking AT it" or "listening TO it" was worthless. Meanwhile, I figured if it was worth having, it would be sold at that price by the time the owner put in the brake line.

So this morning I figured if I can't drive it to mechanic, maybe I can just have it TOWED there.

Well, the owner was "uhhh, okaaay" to that. "But how much is that going to cost you?" I said I was considering it an insurance policy. If it turns out I didn't need it, that's good. So he said okay.

I called the mechanic, who said he couldn't look at it today in terms of getting it on the rack, but would "look it over." He said anything glaring would be obvious. But as it turned out, when I actually towed it to his place, I think he figured that was a lot of trouble and so he ought to just work out putting it up on the rack. So he worked it out.

Upshot is, mechanic cheerfully said...
"Chassis is big, strong, solid and in wicked good shape." (That's New England Speak for "excellent.")
Rear axle solid and in very good shape. Front brakes good shape, brake line not a problem to fix. Tail gate handle missing. Lights in back aren't working, not difficult to fix. Reese hitch is a top line honker and in very good shape. Idler arm is a little weak, but not a big deal. Suspension is good. Whole front end is fine. Tires excellent all the way around. Surprisingly little rust (wheel well I knew about, which will probably have to be dealt with to get it to pass inspection). In short, he said, "My advice? BUY IT." He said it's "an oldie but goodie" and he thought it was solid.

So here it is. If anyone gasps in horror, now would sure be a good time to say, "Carol, XY or Z could be a big problem."

Its name is "Old Grey Mare," (looks white but it's grey) and it would be keeping that name. It's a 4x4, automatic, V8, 5.7L engine (GMC crate engine, 70K miles on it); rebuilt tranny (20K miles on it), and the rubber around the windows is chewed up and missing in chunky places. Total mileage (not counting rebuilt parts but a lot of it has been replaced) is 195K miles. "Almost new" tires all the way around. Wired for trailer, but needs brake controller box. (Owner had bought a cheap one and it lived up to its name, he said, so I need to get one.)

Here goes... With brake line and back lights fixed, I'll be into it for $1200. Brake controller and whatever I have to do about wheel wells is on top of that.

The hood closes and locks down, it just wasn't when owner's wife took the pictures.

No air conditioning, heater works great, manual windows, door locks. Power steering and brakes. Rubber sketchy around the windows and obviously needs a good vacuuming.

And last but not least, this is what the rear wheel wells look like. I understand that if the rust is jagged they won't pass it on inspection because people can cut themselves. If I cover that with wheel well shields, the rust will still be there but not abrasive.

That's it. Any comments welcome. I was obviously unable to test drive it, but owner seems to be telling me stuff that's wrong, and said it doesn't pull, shimmey, shake, rattle or roll. He keeps it at 65mph because he said it eats gas (10mpg) and he doesn't want to make the oil companies any richer. I'll probably drive it the same way, and for sure if towing I wouldn't go any faster than that.

Edited by - OnTheWay on 12/30/2005 9:22:22 PM

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  9:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message

Hurrah!!!! Yippee!!! I don't think that you'll be sorry! And it looks like ya got a heck of a good truck for the $$!! Good deal!

(Your inspections sound stricter than ours....ours are only emissions testing, which is a joke cuz we drive every day in the shadows of steel mills, oil refineries and a couple of coal-fired energy plants....the cars have to be tested, but are the plants really truly tested?)

Congratulations on acquiring the Old Gray Mare!

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  9:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message

Hurrah!!!! Yippee!!! I don't think that you'll be sorry! And it looks like ya got a heck of a good truck for the $$!! Good deal!

(Your inspections sound stricter than ours....ours are only emissions testing, which is a joke cuz we drive every day in the shadows of steel mills, oil refineries and a couple of coal-fired energy plants....the cars have to be tested, but are the plants really truly tested?)

Congratulations on acquiring the Old Gray Mare!

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  10:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I think you have done well. $1200 for peace of miind is a good deal. You will love the 4X4 when the roads are greasy or snowy. I think you will find a lot of other uses for the truck and if the mileage doesn't drive you crazy you can become addicted to trucks. Good Luck with the "Old Grey Mare"

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  10:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
I think you have done well. $1200 for peace of miind is a good deal. You will love the 4X4 when the roads are greasy or snowy. I think you will find a lot of other uses for the truck and if the mileage doesn't drive you crazy you can become addicted to trucks. Good Luck with the "Old Grey Mare"

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  12:08:24 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Thanks. Yes, it will be peace of mind. The interesting thing is, the truckie is rated (as I understand it) to carry (not pull, but carry) 1,000 lbs (1/2 ton). Whereas my Odyssey is rated to carry 1150 lbs, and since I don't have the seats in, make that 1250. I can't figure out how it is that something that's considered kosh for towing can't carry as much weight as my Oddy. Seems weird.

I really have a feeling that chances are I'd have been fine with very lightweight trailer and oddy. At least for the real close trails, 7 miles max away. However! (Big however). I would not have wanted to stress the oddy. I would not have wanted to take any chances of the hitch ripping out if something got jerked. Not only for my auto, but obviously also for the horse I'm taking responsibility for.

And the thing I LIKE about all this is that I'm not any longer limited to a lightweight aluminum trailer apparently. Not going to look for the heaviest honker around, but at least I have leeway, which opens me up to more used trailers. I was reeeeeally limited before. And yippeeeee, I don't have to worry about taking her to the state parks which are NOT seven miles away.

So thanks all, for chomping through this decision with me so patiently and thoroughly. I know several of you really put some thought into it and also time to write those thoughts in detail. The more you were concerned, the less I felt quite so sure. Some of the "fer instances" really got to me. Low probabilities, true. But the big "IF" hung looming. Couldn't afford a serious truck at this point, and there's no way I can or would trade in my Oddy for a truck as my only vehicle. But then suddenly this ad appeared, and it was mis-filed. Posted in the wrong place. Just interesting, that's all.

Hope it turns out to be okay.

Meanwhile, ST, apparently they're a whole lot stricter here than I knew also. I never thought rust that far from the cab would matter. But it's because ragged edges on rust could cut someone. It's all safety issues. And emissions, of course. I'm hoping (and pretty sure) that mechanic did check that, because that's a biggie.

Thanks all again. I feel very much among friends and caring people as well as fun ones!
Carol

Carol
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  12:08:24 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Thanks. Yes, it will be peace of mind. The interesting thing is, the truckie is rated (as I understand it) to carry (not pull, but carry) 1,000 lbs (1/2 ton). Whereas my Odyssey is rated to carry 1150 lbs, and since I don't have the seats in, make that 1250. I can't figure out how it is that something that's considered kosh for towing can't carry as much weight as my Oddy. Seems weird.

I really have a feeling that chances are I'd have been fine with very lightweight trailer and oddy. At least for the real close trails, 7 miles max away. However! (Big however). I would not have wanted to stress the oddy. I would not have wanted to take any chances of the hitch ripping out if something got jerked. Not only for my auto, but obviously also for the horse I'm taking responsibility for.

And the thing I LIKE about all this is that I'm not any longer limited to a lightweight aluminum trailer apparently. Not going to look for the heaviest honker around, but at least I have leeway, which opens me up to more used trailers. I was reeeeeally limited before. And yippeeeee, I don't have to worry about taking her to the state parks which are NOT seven miles away.

So thanks all, for chomping through this decision with me so patiently and thoroughly. I know several of you really put some thought into it and also time to write those thoughts in detail. The more you were concerned, the less I felt quite so sure. Some of the "fer instances" really got to me. Low probabilities, true. But the big "IF" hung looming. Couldn't afford a serious truck at this point, and there's no way I can or would trade in my Oddy for a truck as my only vehicle. But then suddenly this ad appeared, and it was mis-filed. Posted in the wrong place. Just interesting, that's all.

Hope it turns out to be okay.

Meanwhile, ST, apparently they're a whole lot stricter here than I knew also. I never thought rust that far from the cab would matter. But it's because ragged edges on rust could cut someone. It's all safety issues. And emissions, of course. I'm hoping (and pretty sure) that mechanic did check that, because that's a biggie.

Thanks all again. I feel very much among friends and caring people as well as fun ones!
Carol

Carol
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  12:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Congratulations and I hope you have the same good luck finding a trailer! Looks like a pretty good deal! Way to go!!
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  12:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Congratulations and I hope you have the same good luck finding a trailer! Looks like a pretty good deal! Way to go!!
Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  01:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
Congrats on the new truckie!! Hope I have the same good fortune when I start looking for mine. I will be getting an "oldie but goodie" in the next couple months, AND a trailer just like you.

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April
Go to Top of Page

Dixiesmom
Beginning Rider

145 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  01:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dixiesmom's Homepage Send Dixiesmom a Private Message
Congrats on the new truckie!! Hope I have the same good fortune when I start looking for mine. I will be getting an "oldie but goodie" in the next couple months, AND a trailer just like you.

Melissa

Dixie--black & white paint mare, 3yrs in April
Pete--roan missouri foxtrotter gelding, 21yrs in April
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  06:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Sounds like you've found a good buy! Now, got to warn you, filling up the gas tank the first time is gonna be a BIG shock!!!

My truck gets TERRIBLE gas mileage...but since I only use it to tow, and have a small car that I drive to work & such, it is not a big issue with me.

Dixiesmom, hope you also have good luck in finding the right truck!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  06:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Sounds like you've found a good buy! Now, got to warn you, filling up the gas tank the first time is gonna be a BIG shock!!!

My truck gets TERRIBLE gas mileage...but since I only use it to tow, and have a small car that I drive to work & such, it is not a big issue with me.

Dixiesmom, hope you also have good luck in finding the right truck!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  08:09:04 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
EZ, the owner warned me, lol. He brought it up several times. He also stressed though, "Just don't let it sit!" He said he's had it for 5 years and all he used it for was hay, the dump and hauling wife's horses, and he said all that sitting is what caused him to have to replace so many things. Things aren't moving, and they tend to freeze and seize, and condensation works on them in the same spots. Moving it, everything spins, turns, whirrs and chugs, so there's movement. Makes a lot of sense. He said just take it to the market or whatever once or twice a week, but do it every week. So that makes some sense.

I still haven't driven the thing, not even up and down a short driveway. I may get a big surprise when I bring it home (1-1/2 hours on highway). So I'm sure not feeling too smug yet!

Edited by - OnTheWay on 12/31/2005 5:22:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  08:09:04 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
EZ, the owner warned me, lol. He brought it up several times. He also stressed though, "Just don't let it sit!" He said he's had it for 5 years and all he used it for was hay, the dump and hauling wife's horses, and he said all that sitting is what caused him to have to replace so many things. Things aren't moving, and they tend to freeze and seize, and condensation works on them in the same spots. Moving it, everything spins, turns, whirrs and chugs, so there's movement. Makes a lot of sense. He said just take it to the market or whatever once or twice a week, but do it every week. So that makes some sense.

I still haven't driven the thing, not even up and down a short driveway. I may get a big surprise when I bring it home (1-1/2 hours on highway). So I'm sure not feeling too smug yet!

Edited by - OnTheWay on 12/31/2005 5:22:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  08:16:15 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Does anyone have any idea the TOWING limit for 1/2 ton Chevy truck 1988?
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  08:16:15 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Does anyone have any idea the TOWING limit for 1/2 ton Chevy truck 1988?
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  09:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
I guess Flooper would have the anwer to that!

OTW, I found my truck from an ad in the local paper; just happened to see it, & mentioned it to my dad. Was greatly in need of a bigger truck, but didn't feel financially able to get another one at that time. He asked me if I wanted him to go look at it, and I told him no, and that I couldn't afford it at this time. Well, he went and looked at it anyway, and told me, "You HAVE to buy this truck!" Sent my uncle (mechanic) and son-in-law (does body work) to look at it, and they said it was a great deal for the price. So...money has been very tight around here since I bought it, but when you find a good one, that is the time to buy!

Believe it or not, I haven't driven the truck since August...but my dad takes it out for regular spins to keep it "exercised"!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  09:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
I guess Flooper would have the anwer to that!

OTW, I found my truck from an ad in the local paper; just happened to see it, & mentioned it to my dad. Was greatly in need of a bigger truck, but didn't feel financially able to get another one at that time. He asked me if I wanted him to go look at it, and I told him no, and that I couldn't afford it at this time. Well, he went and looked at it anyway, and told me, "You HAVE to buy this truck!" Sent my uncle (mechanic) and son-in-law (does body work) to look at it, and they said it was a great deal for the price. So...money has been very tight around here since I bought it, but when you find a good one, that is the time to buy!

Believe it or not, I haven't driven the truck since August...but my dad takes it out for regular spins to keep it "exercised"!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  09:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
That's a good deal! Around here any running truck will bring more than that. You'll like the 4X4, I wouldn't be without it.

Budman
Go to Top of Page

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  09:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
That's a good deal! Around here any running truck will bring more than that. You'll like the 4X4, I wouldn't be without it.

Budman
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  10:03:50 AM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
quote:
But then suddenly this ad appeared, and it was mis-filed. Posted in the wrong place. Just interesting, that's all.

When it is meant to be, it is meant to be.
I know that truck will take you many happy miles and to many happy trails.

Congratulations

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  10:03:50 AM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
quote:
But then suddenly this ad appeared, and it was mis-filed. Posted in the wrong place. Just interesting, that's all.

When it is meant to be, it is meant to be.
I know that truck will take you many happy miles and to many happy trails.

Congratulations

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  10:42:37 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Well, from what I hear (Hook and others) once you get a truck you don't want to be without one. Minivan (in which I never keep middle seats) has been a lifesaver more than once just because of its cargo/hauling space, but there are already things I'm thinking this truck would be worth its weight for.

What I don't understand is, it has a full bed liner. That's supposed to keep down rust, yes? Well underneath it there were wet leaves or whatever, and it was pretty gross. Doesn't that trapped water just sit there and rust the bed floor? Didn't seem to be in bad shape but the liner is sort of stuck on/in the bed and not something you can easily lift up more than a couple of feet in the back.

Parrot, I'm sure hoping it will. Can't wait for spring and trail rides. I have ZERO clue how Cloud is with other horses (e.g., trail rides) but hopefully by then I can connect with a person or two for buddy rides. I've been reading trail etiquite and sure hope I won't have to buy any red tail ribbons, lol.

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  10:42:37 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Well, from what I hear (Hook and others) once you get a truck you don't want to be without one. Minivan (in which I never keep middle seats) has been a lifesaver more than once just because of its cargo/hauling space, but there are already things I'm thinking this truck would be worth its weight for.

What I don't understand is, it has a full bed liner. That's supposed to keep down rust, yes? Well underneath it there were wet leaves or whatever, and it was pretty gross. Doesn't that trapped water just sit there and rust the bed floor? Didn't seem to be in bad shape but the liner is sort of stuck on/in the bed and not something you can easily lift up more than a couple of feet in the back.

Parrot, I'm sure hoping it will. Can't wait for spring and trail rides. I have ZERO clue how Cloud is with other horses (e.g., trail rides) but hopefully by then I can connect with a person or two for buddy rides. I've been reading trail etiquite and sure hope I won't have to buy any red tail ribbons, lol.

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  10:46:06 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parrot, maybe the odyssey gods were telling me to listen to Flooper and everyone.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000