Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Owning horses IS a Lifestyle -" DE HAA"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  3:05:42 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Since the President of HAA has requested that I post the pix of me in my cowboy outfit at the tender age of 3, here it is. They were taken in 1955.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 01/02/2006 3:06:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  8:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
How cute! I'm jealous! I didn't have an outfit like that when I was little! If I knew, I would have insisted on one. I think my family hid things like that and tried not to encourage my addiction. NO ONE else in my family even likes horses.....they are afraid of them. They always told me I was adopted or the stork dropped me at the wrong house. In the back of my mind, I always halfway believed them. Just where DID I come from??? I had plenty of play horses, but I had to get a full fledged job and buy a real one myself before I was satisfied. And my poor Non-horsy husband has tolerated all of this very well. My children don't even like to ride! They will ride if the horse is saddled and they can just get on and go. They never ask to go. Just where did I come from???
It doesn't matter. I now am the First Vice President of DE HAA. BTW...I visited some more stallions today, looking for the perfect match for my mare. I think maybe I found him. She is a Peppy San bred black & white paint. I looked at a very nice palomino paint Weiscamp bred horse. He is quite a stout fellow with a very sweet disposition. I am usually very leery of studs, as I know they are so unpredictable, but this guy won me over. Any comments or ideas?
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  8:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
How cute! I'm jealous! I didn't have an outfit like that when I was little! If I knew, I would have insisted on one. I think my family hid things like that and tried not to encourage my addiction. NO ONE else in my family even likes horses.....they are afraid of them. They always told me I was adopted or the stork dropped me at the wrong house. In the back of my mind, I always halfway believed them. Just where DID I come from??? I had plenty of play horses, but I had to get a full fledged job and buy a real one myself before I was satisfied. And my poor Non-horsy husband has tolerated all of this very well. My children don't even like to ride! They will ride if the horse is saddled and they can just get on and go. They never ask to go. Just where did I come from???
It doesn't matter. I now am the First Vice President of DE HAA. BTW...I visited some more stallions today, looking for the perfect match for my mare. I think maybe I found him. She is a Peppy San bred black & white paint. I looked at a very nice palomino paint Weiscamp bred horse. He is quite a stout fellow with a very sweet disposition. I am usually very leery of studs, as I know they are so unpredictable, but this guy won me over. Any comments or ideas?
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
Thanks Saddletramp. Yes, there is something strange going on with my husband. The other day when he was on vacation and I was at work he and my daughter went down to the barn just to "visit" the horse...."he" decided I need a new saddle pad. I am not an addict, I do not need more tack, but in the name of marital harmony I guess I have to go to the tack shop again (sigh).
So our barn moved yet again (this time back to the original location) and the previous occupants took all the fixtures, so now we need stall hooks, and all of a sudden my husband knows which store has which kind and how much, etc. Huh? How can you know that already? I haven't even signed into ebay yet?!!! I have to add that the move now makes the barn considerably closer to home, thus, less money spent on gas, and more money for.....other stuff (ahem).
Then the unthinkable happened - I was at my sewing machine fixing a horse blanket. He walks in (gasp!) and then sits down (double GASP!)which NEVER happens, ever! and he looks at the blanket and asks me "so, is it time we got you an industrial machine? I mean, you know, if you are going to be fixing these on a regular basis...." For those who may not know, an industrial machine takes up twice the room and makes about 10 times as much noise!

So thursday I get to test drive that older gelding finally (delayed by the move) Bless me Flooper for I am probably about to sin...
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:42:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
Thanks Saddletramp. Yes, there is something strange going on with my husband. The other day when he was on vacation and I was at work he and my daughter went down to the barn just to "visit" the horse...."he" decided I need a new saddle pad. I am not an addict, I do not need more tack, but in the name of marital harmony I guess I have to go to the tack shop again (sigh).
So our barn moved yet again (this time back to the original location) and the previous occupants took all the fixtures, so now we need stall hooks, and all of a sudden my husband knows which store has which kind and how much, etc. Huh? How can you know that already? I haven't even signed into ebay yet?!!! I have to add that the move now makes the barn considerably closer to home, thus, less money spent on gas, and more money for.....other stuff (ahem).
Then the unthinkable happened - I was at my sewing machine fixing a horse blanket. He walks in (gasp!) and then sits down (double GASP!)which NEVER happens, ever! and he looks at the blanket and asks me "so, is it time we got you an industrial machine? I mean, you know, if you are going to be fixing these on a regular basis...." For those who may not know, an industrial machine takes up twice the room and makes about 10 times as much noise!

So thursday I get to test drive that older gelding finally (delayed by the move) Bless me Flooper for I am probably about to sin...
Go to Top of Page

Live2dream
Beginning Rider

51 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  1:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Live2dream's Homepage Send Live2dream a Private Message
Ok ok well went to see said paint. No longer chomping at the bit as it has broke in half now(strong teeth who'd have guessed?). Sadly hubby headed me off at the pass and bought some memory ( i say some but it was a lot) for his computer. I am now in love with a horse I cannot have (unles i beat hubby to the bank next payday,...lol). Well i cannot have immediatly ..wahh.. ok where's our therapist i really need em. Hehe but if he's there on the 15th lol hubby is out of luck. I mean what can i say I am a sucker for blue eyes and this guy has 2 of em( not the hubby silly..the horse).Hubby has brwn eyes so the horse may win. Ya know I am not sure about the chocolate bars selling so how about horse treats to help recruit new members as well. Ohh wait the treats may be counterproductive but hey we could call it self support in place of dues. The chocolate bars may work but may limit recruiting. Hmmm paintgal restrain me for the sake of my marriage...oh wait nvm too late the hubby has already decided i will divorce him for a horse..lol. Not true but I may be seeing a horse on the side i like my cake and enjoy eating it. As for tack and no horse well lets put it this way sold my last one before moving to texas but have my saddle and other horse accesories sitting in its own room and dare the kids to play with em. ( they take the dare ...and have many times of being thrown from the saddle..i don't throw em just toss em a couple feet to the bed)..lol. Ok once again where's the therapist? and can we also add a hypnotist to the list? You know for the husbands sake so he can believe he loves the horses. Hehe well gotta go finangle finances for my blue eyed guy.
~Ree

~ A good farrier who is reliable,cheap, and good at their job is a mythical creature liken to a unicorn... I have never seen it and probably never will.
Go to Top of Page

Live2dream
Beginning Rider

51 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  1:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Live2dream's Homepage Send Live2dream a Private Message
Ok ok well went to see said paint. No longer chomping at the bit as it has broke in half now(strong teeth who'd have guessed?). Sadly hubby headed me off at the pass and bought some memory ( i say some but it was a lot) for his computer. I am now in love with a horse I cannot have (unles i beat hubby to the bank next payday,...lol). Well i cannot have immediatly ..wahh.. ok where's our therapist i really need em. Hehe but if he's there on the 15th lol hubby is out of luck. I mean what can i say I am a sucker for blue eyes and this guy has 2 of em( not the hubby silly..the horse).Hubby has brwn eyes so the horse may win. Ya know I am not sure about the chocolate bars selling so how about horse treats to help recruit new members as well. Ohh wait the treats may be counterproductive but hey we could call it self support in place of dues. The chocolate bars may work but may limit recruiting. Hmmm paintgal restrain me for the sake of my marriage...oh wait nvm too late the hubby has already decided i will divorce him for a horse..lol. Not true but I may be seeing a horse on the side i like my cake and enjoy eating it. As for tack and no horse well lets put it this way sold my last one before moving to texas but have my saddle and other horse accesories sitting in its own room and dare the kids to play with em. ( they take the dare ...and have many times of being thrown from the saddle..i don't throw em just toss em a couple feet to the bed)..lol. Ok once again where's the therapist? and can we also add a hypnotist to the list? You know for the husbands sake so he can believe he loves the horses. Hehe well gotta go finangle finances for my blue eyed guy.
~Ree

~ A good farrier who is reliable,cheap, and good at their job is a mythical creature liken to a unicorn... I have never seen it and probably never will.
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  11:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I nominate Giddyup for the position of "Director of Making Things Happen Fast." Of all the people on the board, he has moved the furthest the fastest...from no horses to six horses plus a big 3-horse slant gooseneck and a diesel dually with kids in every show in a six state area, all the while competing in barrels and poles himself and taking lessons. All in oh, about a 18 month span of time. Whew!!!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  11:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
I nominate Giddyup for the position of "Director of Making Things Happen Fast." Of all the people on the board, he has moved the furthest the fastest...from no horses to six horses plus a big 3-horse slant gooseneck and a diesel dually with kids in every show in a six state area, all the while competing in barrels and poles himself and taking lessons. All in oh, about a 18 month span of time. Whew!!!

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  11:52:00 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
L2D; I just noticed your byline. I hate to say it but my farrier is not a myth and alive & well. LOL!!!!!

Just joshin'.

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  11:52:00 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
L2D; I just noticed your byline. I hate to say it but my farrier is not a myth and alive & well. LOL!!!!!

Just joshin'.

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Live2dream
Beginning Rider

51 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  2:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Live2dream's Homepage Send Live2dream a Private Message
LoL send me a pic I have never seen it. Closest i have gotten is 2 out of three the hard part being reliable as in they come out on time and you don't have to wait and wait and wait for them to call 3 hours past time and say" sorry have to reschedule". I have switched farriers soo many time for this in the past. Now if its an emergency I understand but I also would understand a phonecall before i park my butt outside all day as well..hehe congrats on the farrier though you have one in a milliion.
~Ree

Go to Top of Page

Live2dream
Beginning Rider

51 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  2:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Live2dream's Homepage Send Live2dream a Private Message
LoL send me a pic I have never seen it. Closest i have gotten is 2 out of three the hard part being reliable as in they come out on time and you don't have to wait and wait and wait for them to call 3 hours past time and say" sorry have to reschedule". I have switched farriers soo many time for this in the past. Now if its an emergency I understand but I also would understand a phonecall before i park my butt outside all day as well..hehe congrats on the farrier though you have one in a milliion.
~Ree

Go to Top of Page

Live2dream
Beginning Rider

51 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  2:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Live2dream's Homepage Send Live2dream a Private Message
~Ree

Go to Top of Page

Live2dream
Beginning Rider

51 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  2:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Live2dream's Homepage Send Live2dream a Private Message
~Ree

Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  4:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Boy...I must really have it made! My farrier schedules me every 6-8 weeks and calls to confirm the night before. He took my mare from being scared (she had never had her feet trimmed before she came to Indiana) to shoeing easily and even burning her feet before nailing the shoes on. We had her trimmed the last time in about 5-10 minutes. He can shoe my walker perfect also. He's a great guy. I knew he was special when he called the first time the night before to confirm. He comes from about 45 minutes away and doesn't want to be inconvenienced either. Maybe I should have gotten him more than a box of chocolates for Christmas!
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  4:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Boy...I must really have it made! My farrier schedules me every 6-8 weeks and calls to confirm the night before. He took my mare from being scared (she had never had her feet trimmed before she came to Indiana) to shoeing easily and even burning her feet before nailing the shoes on. We had her trimmed the last time in about 5-10 minutes. He can shoe my walker perfect also. He's a great guy. I knew he was special when he called the first time the night before to confirm. He comes from about 45 minutes away and doesn't want to be inconvenienced either. Maybe I should have gotten him more than a box of chocolates for Christmas!
Go to Top of Page

Jacobs Buddy
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  8:59:03 PM  Show Profile Send Jacobs Buddy a Private Message
I must really have it made. My farrier sometimes comes when I am at work. Brings the horses in. Trims them in the cross ties, puts them back out in the pasture, and leaves me the bill on the bulliten board after sweeping up. I think I'll keep him.

I whisper but my horse don't listen.
Go to Top of Page

Jacobs Buddy
Advanced Rider

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  8:59:03 PM  Show Profile Send Jacobs Buddy a Private Message
I must really have it made. My farrier sometimes comes when I am at work. Brings the horses in. Trims them in the cross ties, puts them back out in the pasture, and leaves me the bill on the bulliten board after sweeping up. I think I'll keep him.

I whisper but my horse don't listen.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
With my horse habit I trim and shoe my own horses. We have a farrier who comes on schedule when called (and if he can't come usually gives a week's notice,) to shoe Dreams and Profit as they have very thin hoof walls and Fern won't let me do it. All of our horses are bare foot and only get shoes if they have excessive or uneven hoof wear or if we plan to hit show circuit quite heavy.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
With my horse habit I trim and shoe my own horses. We have a farrier who comes on schedule when called (and if he can't come usually gives a week's notice,) to shoe Dreams and Profit as they have very thin hoof walls and Fern won't let me do it. All of our horses are bare foot and only get shoes if they have excessive or uneven hoof wear or if we plan to hit show circuit quite heavy.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  03:59:03 AM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
Thanks for the nomination Floop.
Although some of the facts (not to mention building barn,putting up fence,painting house and putting in enough hours to keep checkbook from bouncing up to the moon)might not be exactly right, the timeline ain't that far off. My lessons kinda took a backseat during the past six months. I do get in a warmup ride on Missy every now and then or a little short trail ride up and down the driveway. Mrs Giddyup gets extremly nervous when she sees me in the saddle. Says something about having something to eat every night and a table to put it on.
Wish I could make this 12x8 get over with fast. Got 1 more night to go. Sat. is last day of deer season here in Va. Think I'll take Matt and go set in the woods and get out of the rat race for a day.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

giddyupmorgan
Trainer

846 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  03:59:03 AM  Show Profile Send giddyupmorgan a Private Message
Thanks for the nomination Floop.
Although some of the facts (not to mention building barn,putting up fence,painting house and putting in enough hours to keep checkbook from bouncing up to the moon)might not be exactly right, the timeline ain't that far off. My lessons kinda took a backseat during the past six months. I do get in a warmup ride on Missy every now and then or a little short trail ride up and down the driveway. Mrs Giddyup gets extremly nervous when she sees me in the saddle. Says something about having something to eat every night and a table to put it on.
Wish I could make this 12x8 get over with fast. Got 1 more night to go. Sat. is last day of deer season here in Va. Think I'll take Matt and go set in the woods and get out of the rat race for a day.

Keeping The Kids In a Saddle and Out of Trouble
Giddyup
"Holy Moly I'll Buy What They're Selling" LJD (Get A Little Mud On The Tires)

Morgan's riding log
Go to Top of Page

bigyellerdog
Groomer

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  09:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit bigyellerdog's Homepage Send bigyellerdog a Private Message
Threre is no cure for horse addiction, and in some cases, it is contagious and possibly hereitary. My dad fox hunted on horseback, farmed with those beautiful bay mules, and at three I got my first pony. Forty two years later, I'm still addicted, and so are my two kids. The first time I saw my colt Shadow, he was two days old, and I told his owner I hadd to have him. Nope, no hope, no cure.
Go to Top of Page

beccajane
Trainer

USA
985 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  11:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit beccajane's Homepage Send beccajane a Private Message
Then we must relax and enjoy it and feel sorry for those who are not afflicted!! :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000