Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 my horse doesn't like apples?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MullberryMae
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  03:17:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit MullberryMae's Homepage Send MullberryMae a Private Message
I have a new horse, he's 3 1/2 Appaloosa gelding extremely mellow and friendly and willing...the confusing thing is I've never met a horse who doesn't like apples, carrots, the list could go on forever....
Apache doesn't like any of it...is this strange....he was neglected and maybe has never had veggies, but he needs the weight and vitamins...any way to get a horse to eat his veggies?
Terion
and
Apache

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  08:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Welcome to the forum. Just put the apples in with his grain and he will learn that they are not some poison that you are trying to get him to eat. Horses really do not need veggies. Look at the topic regarding April to find dome good feeding / worming hints.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  08:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Welcome to the forum. Just put the apples in with his grain and he will learn that they are not some poison that you are trying to get him to eat. Horses really do not need veggies. Look at the topic regarding April to find dome good feeding / worming hints.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  08:57:53 AM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
Welcome MullberryMae.
Hooks ideas are always sound. Apache'll be chompping those apples down with gusto soon. I bought a horse once that did not know what an apple, carrot, or horsey treat was. He had always been given peppermints!

Since Apache was a neglect case it is proable he has never had any kind of treats and little kindness.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

Parrothead
Trainer

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  08:57:53 AM  Show Profile Send Parrothead a Private Message
Welcome MullberryMae.
Hooks ideas are always sound. Apache'll be chompping those apples down with gusto soon. I bought a horse once that did not know what an apple, carrot, or horsey treat was. He had always been given peppermints!

Since Apache was a neglect case it is proable he has never had any kind of treats and little kindness.

Jill
Life is too short to ride bad horses.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  10:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message

Agree with above...think he never had treats before. My fjord wouldn't eat apples or carrots when I first got him...turned up his nose like foreign objects! All changed in a matter of months....
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  10:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message

Agree with above...think he never had treats before. My fjord wouldn't eat apples or carrots when I first got him...turned up his nose like foreign objects! All changed in a matter of months....
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  1:48:08 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I know Terra doesn't like whole apples. She doesn't know how to go about eating one and just spits it out. So, I have to cut it up into smaller pieces, and she'll eat it no problem at all.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  1:48:08 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I know Terra doesn't like whole apples. She doesn't know how to go about eating one and just spits it out. So, I have to cut it up into smaller pieces, and she'll eat it no problem at all.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  2:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I just chop up the new stuff fine and mix a little in with the grain for a couple days and build up to larger sized pieces and more of it over time. Normally they get a taste for it but not aways. I have tried this 3 or 4 times on Coal with Carrots, for weeks on end but after they get to a certin size or amount will eat around them or not eat her grain at all. She just does not like carrots at all.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  2:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I just chop up the new stuff fine and mix a little in with the grain for a couple days and build up to larger sized pieces and more of it over time. Normally they get a taste for it but not aways. I have tried this 3 or 4 times on Coal with Carrots, for weeks on end but after they get to a certin size or amount will eat around them or not eat her grain at all. She just does not like carrots at all.
Go to Top of Page

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  3:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message
My quarter horse mare wouldn't eat carrots or apples when i first got her. She acted as though she had never seen them before--and maybe she hadn't. She gobbles them up now. I just continued to offer them to her when I gave some to the others and it wasn't long before she tried them and liked them

Dorthy Brown
Go to Top of Page

dodib
Trainer

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  3:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit dodib's Homepage Send dodib a Private Message
My quarter horse mare wouldn't eat carrots or apples when i first got her. She acted as though she had never seen them before--and maybe she hadn't. She gobbles them up now. I just continued to offer them to her when I gave some to the others and it wasn't long before she tried them and liked them

Dorthy Brown
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  3:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Had a QH gelding who REALLY hadn't had anything besides his ration and hay before I got him...he nearly choked on the first piece of apple that I fed him! He came out of a WI show barn and had missed out on lots of normal horse activities and was raised in a strict show environment. He hadn't been outside until he came to my place either! He adapted quite quickly to how things go around here, your's will too.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  3:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Had a QH gelding who REALLY hadn't had anything besides his ration and hay before I got him...he nearly choked on the first piece of apple that I fed him! He came out of a WI show barn and had missed out on lots of normal horse activities and was raised in a strict show environment. He hadn't been outside until he came to my place either! He adapted quite quickly to how things go around here, your's will too.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  6:35:23 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Hi-Grey loves apples, but despises carrotts (I think he learned that from me.....lol).

When feeding apples it is best to quarter them. Feeding them in halves or whole may cause your horse to choke, and let me tell ya, that's not a pretty site.

It is interesting how some horses need to be taught that they are, indeed, a horse. I know that off-the-track thoroughbreds have to be slowly accustomed to being a horse. Mares have a harder time adjusting it seems. Several farms have different techiniques on how they introduce the OTT horse, most generally, they will keep them sequestered for a few days allowing their body to come down off the steroids (if the trainer used them). Then the will buddy them up with an 'older' horse for a proportionate time period, increasing it gradually, before introducing them to the 'herd' in a larger pasture.

Appygirl

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

appygirl
Clinician

USA
3211 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  6:35:23 PM  Show Profile Send appygirl a Private Message
Hi-Grey loves apples, but despises carrotts (I think he learned that from me.....lol).

When feeding apples it is best to quarter them. Feeding them in halves or whole may cause your horse to choke, and let me tell ya, that's not a pretty site.

It is interesting how some horses need to be taught that they are, indeed, a horse. I know that off-the-track thoroughbreds have to be slowly accustomed to being a horse. Mares have a harder time adjusting it seems. Several farms have different techiniques on how they introduce the OTT horse, most generally, they will keep them sequestered for a few days allowing their body to come down off the steroids (if the trainer used them). Then the will buddy them up with an 'older' horse for a proportionate time period, increasing it gradually, before introducing them to the 'herd' in a larger pasture.

Appygirl

Appygirl

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.
- Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader

Go to Top of Page

MullberryMae
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  10:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit MullberryMae's Homepage Send MullberryMae a Private Message
thanks for all the advice I'll continue to try the treats, I think he's just so happy to have some pasture now he doesn't want to stop to eat apples!
Terion
Go to Top of Page

MullberryMae
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  10:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit MullberryMae's Homepage Send MullberryMae a Private Message
thanks for all the advice I'll continue to try the treats, I think he's just so happy to have some pasture now he doesn't want to stop to eat apples!
Terion
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  12:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
The last horse I leased ate carrots like no tomorrow, but did not like apples. I gave her a slice of apple once and she sort took it hesitantly, she ate it, but I swear she made a face like a child swallowing medicine. I thought maybe it was sour and tried a piece myself but it was perfectly fine. I offered her another piece but she sniffed it and turned her head away. I guess horses just have different tastes. I know several horses that came off ranches etc and they are not treat eaters at all. Its not that unusual.
I always slice apples too, I saw a horse choke on an apple once and it was quite disturbing. That was over 25 years ago and I have not given a horse a whole apple since, although I've seen plenty of people do it without incident.
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  12:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
The last horse I leased ate carrots like no tomorrow, but did not like apples. I gave her a slice of apple once and she sort took it hesitantly, she ate it, but I swear she made a face like a child swallowing medicine. I thought maybe it was sour and tried a piece myself but it was perfectly fine. I offered her another piece but she sniffed it and turned her head away. I guess horses just have different tastes. I know several horses that came off ranches etc and they are not treat eaters at all. Its not that unusual.
I always slice apples too, I saw a horse choke on an apple once and it was quite disturbing. That was over 25 years ago and I have not given a horse a whole apple since, although I've seen plenty of people do it without incident.
Go to Top of Page

MullberryMae
Tenderfoot

8 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  09:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit MullberryMae's Homepage Send MullberryMae a Private Message
Apache finally decided to try an apple and ate 3 for good measure! He's coming along so well, picking up some weight etc. Thanks for all the advice, these forums are great!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000