Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Toe Stoppers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  11:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Hey Ree, love your name! ;o)

Rode in them again today, and I am very impressed with them. I would highly suggest these for anyone that has kids riding... and I would suggest them for oldies like me to use them also. There are a lot of rent-a-horse trail rides around this area, if I was in charge of one of those, I certainly would have this required on all the saddles. Tourists show up there in flip-flops, yikes!
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  12:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
ree7

I thought you where talking about tapaderos which is what I have dealt with. You didn't say they where something special.

When I worked as a guide at a rent a horse place you wouldn't believe the people that would try to jam their feet under the edge of the tapaderos to lock the foot in no matter how many times they where told not to. I was not being condescending or impling that any one on this board would do anything like that. The walmart thing was a joke, you read the condescendingness(lol) into it. Work at one of those rent a horse places and you do start to wonder about the safety of some people on even walmart horses. It was the people that I met working as a guide and some parents in 4H and showing that I was talking about not you. I could tell you horror stories. Parents wanting to tie their kids to the horses. One woman brought her own rope and said that the place they normally go to lets her tie her 6 yr old son on to the horse. She would not take no for an answer and my boss had to come tell her that they couldn't ride if the kid was to be tied on. That if she feel it was that unsafe for her son then she shouldn't be putting him on the horse. Some people have no respect for the horses or the guides and do very unsafe things no matter what you tell them. People that cannot follow basic safety rules when riding and have no plans of learning or listening should not be on a live horse in a case where they are indangering the lives of everyone on the ride. I have one guy that it took 10 min. to get him on the horse at the start of the ride decide half way through that he need to get off to get a 'whip' because his horse was so slow. It took another 20 minutes for me to catch his horse and get him back on it again and he still wanted a 'whip' and was tell me that he was going to get off again. That was the only adult I ended up leading because he refused to listen to me and stay on the horse he was scared to get on. Don't get me wrong I loved the job and would do it again but it sure does make you wonder about some people.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  12:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
ree7

I thought you where talking about tapaderos which is what I have dealt with. You didn't say they where something special.

When I worked as a guide at a rent a horse place you wouldn't believe the people that would try to jam their feet under the edge of the tapaderos to lock the foot in no matter how many times they where told not to. I was not being condescending or impling that any one on this board would do anything like that. The walmart thing was a joke, you read the condescendingness(lol) into it. Work at one of those rent a horse places and you do start to wonder about the safety of some people on even walmart horses. It was the people that I met working as a guide and some parents in 4H and showing that I was talking about not you. I could tell you horror stories. Parents wanting to tie their kids to the horses. One woman brought her own rope and said that the place they normally go to lets her tie her 6 yr old son on to the horse. She would not take no for an answer and my boss had to come tell her that they couldn't ride if the kid was to be tied on. That if she feel it was that unsafe for her son then she shouldn't be putting him on the horse. Some people have no respect for the horses or the guides and do very unsafe things no matter what you tell them. People that cannot follow basic safety rules when riding and have no plans of learning or listening should not be on a live horse in a case where they are indangering the lives of everyone on the ride. I have one guy that it took 10 min. to get him on the horse at the start of the ride decide half way through that he need to get off to get a 'whip' because his horse was so slow. It took another 20 minutes for me to catch his horse and get him back on it again and he still wanted a 'whip' and was tell me that he was going to get off again. That was the only adult I ended up leading because he refused to listen to me and stay on the horse he was scared to get on. Don't get me wrong I loved the job and would do it again but it sure does make you wonder about some people.
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  08:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

The only thing I can see that may differ from riding in everyday street shoes (sneakers, tennies, or otherwise) and boots made specifically for riding is the safety of when you are not on your horse.

Really? You don't see the possibility/probability of a foot in a tennis shoe slipping forward in the stirrup?? The heel on a boot serves a time-tested purpose....to STOP the foot from slipping forward during a fall, an accident or a balance issue. The tapered toe allows the boot to slip backwards easily and not get hung up in the stirrup if something should happen.

We don't wear boots for looks or fashion....we wear them for their safety factor, RH. I never ride in athletic shoes, or any shoe NOT intended for riding.

I'm with PG...I LOVE LOVE my Ariat Terrains! I also found a great price on a pair of 3/4 Kiltie Ropers....very similar to Ariats, and equally as comfie...slightly more "dressy" appearing, with the kiltie and great laces.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  08:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
quote:

The only thing I can see that may differ from riding in everyday street shoes (sneakers, tennies, or otherwise) and boots made specifically for riding is the safety of when you are not on your horse.

Really? You don't see the possibility/probability of a foot in a tennis shoe slipping forward in the stirrup?? The heel on a boot serves a time-tested purpose....to STOP the foot from slipping forward during a fall, an accident or a balance issue. The tapered toe allows the boot to slip backwards easily and not get hung up in the stirrup if something should happen.

We don't wear boots for looks or fashion....we wear them for their safety factor, RH. I never ride in athletic shoes, or any shoe NOT intended for riding.

I'm with PG...I LOVE LOVE my Ariat Terrains! I also found a great price on a pair of 3/4 Kiltie Ropers....very similar to Ariats, and equally as comfie...slightly more "dressy" appearing, with the kiltie and great laces.

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  09:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Hook...I had already bought the breakaway stirrups for my daughter's barrel saddle (she doesn't actually run barrels yet...that will come) before I found the toe stoppers. The toe stoppers are a lot cheaper!!!
But...the breakaways are amazing, and they do look a lot nicer than the toe-stoppers, which, quite honestly, aren't the best looking things in the world!!

The thing I really like about toe stoppers is I can use them on any saddle I have, and can easily put them on when I have friends who don't ride much come out for rides.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 12/23/2005 09:38:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  09:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Hook...I had already bought the breakaway stirrups for my daughter's barrel saddle (she doesn't actually run barrels yet...that will come) before I found the toe stoppers. The toe stoppers are a lot cheaper!!!
But...the breakaways are amazing, and they do look a lot nicer than the toe-stoppers, which, quite honestly, aren't the best looking things in the world!!

The thing I really like about toe stoppers is I can use them on any saddle I have, and can easily put them on when I have friends who don't ride much come out for rides.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 12/23/2005 09:38:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  11:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
First ride was on one of those Walmart type horses for a nickel....maybe that's what began the craze! Used to spend my allowance on them!

I am too lazy to deal with laces...got those Ariat zip ups and love them, around 90-100$...last a couple of years and boy, do I wear them doing everything around here!

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  11:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
First ride was on one of those Walmart type horses for a nickel....maybe that's what began the craze! Used to spend my allowance on them!

I am too lazy to deal with laces...got those Ariat zip ups and love them, around 90-100$...last a couple of years and boy, do I wear them doing everything around here!

Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  11:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I love my Ariat Terrains. They had that broken feeling the second you put them on. I normally use even lace up boots because it lets me make the one tighter for more support or looser so I can wrap the ankle on bad days. What horse people will do to still ride a horse! But like tennies they don't protect the toes enough on the ground. More then tennies but not as much as my steel toe boots!
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  11:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I love my Ariat Terrains. They had that broken feeling the second you put them on. I normally use even lace up boots because it lets me make the one tighter for more support or looser so I can wrap the ankle on bad days. What horse people will do to still ride a horse! But like tennies they don't protect the toes enough on the ground. More then tennies but not as much as my steel toe boots!
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  12:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
I agree, Stormie....still gotta watch out for the tootsies when on the ground. I don't think that any boot, other than steel toes or metatarsels will protect the toes from a good stomping.

The old guy seems to always know where his feet are in relation to where mine are...the mare could care less! lol That's when she learns NOT to invade my space!

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  12:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
I agree, Stormie....still gotta watch out for the tootsies when on the ground. I don't think that any boot, other than steel toes or metatarsels will protect the toes from a good stomping.

The old guy seems to always know where his feet are in relation to where mine are...the mare could care less! lol That's when she learns NOT to invade my space!

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  1:12:18 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletramp

quote:

LOL! Boy, did you ever read that line wrong, Saddle. I'm totally on your side. In that statement, I was talking about wearing boots when working around your horse is the 'safety factor'... not everyday footwear. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't realize it would be misread. If you read further on in my post, I think it explains itself: "It just seems to me that your foot would survive better wearing a riding boot than a sneaker... less impact to the foot... YOUR foot. JMO" In this instance, I was referring to getting stepped on by a horse's foot.

And I insist on all my students to wear proper footwear when riding... and that means riding boots... for the very reason you state: A good, solid heel to keep the foot from slipping through the stirrup.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  1:12:18 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletramp

quote:

LOL! Boy, did you ever read that line wrong, Saddle. I'm totally on your side. In that statement, I was talking about wearing boots when working around your horse is the 'safety factor'... not everyday footwear. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't realize it would be misread. If you read further on in my post, I think it explains itself: "It just seems to me that your foot would survive better wearing a riding boot than a sneaker... less impact to the foot... YOUR foot. JMO" In this instance, I was referring to getting stepped on by a horse's foot.

And I insist on all my students to wear proper footwear when riding... and that means riding boots... for the very reason you state: A good, solid heel to keep the foot from slipping through the stirrup.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  3:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Something to keep in mind about lace-ups...a trainer I know warns people not to wear them, because they won't come off if by some chance your foot DOES become caught in a stirrup during a fall. He learned this from experience! If you are wearing a roper-type boot and get hung up, there is a good chance that your foot will simply work free of the boot...likely saving your life in the process. Now, I can't say for sure that this is so, but it seems reasonable to me, so I wear pull-on ropers when I ride.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  3:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Something to keep in mind about lace-ups...a trainer I know warns people not to wear them, because they won't come off if by some chance your foot DOES become caught in a stirrup during a fall. He learned this from experience! If you are wearing a roper-type boot and get hung up, there is a good chance that your foot will simply work free of the boot...likely saving your life in the process. Now, I can't say for sure that this is so, but it seems reasonable to me, so I wear pull-on ropers when I ride.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  6:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Yeppers, EZ, that IS something that I consider with lace-ups....and also the idea that if the horse falls and is laying on you, you can't slip your foot out of the boot.

RH- Yep, I DID read your post wrong...I got it now!

-Saddletramp

Edited by - Saddletramp on 12/23/2005 6:10:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  6:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Yeppers, EZ, that IS something that I consider with lace-ups....and also the idea that if the horse falls and is laying on you, you can't slip your foot out of the boot.

RH- Yep, I DID read your post wrong...I got it now!

-Saddletramp

Edited by - Saddletramp on 12/23/2005 6:10:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  7:09:33 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Personally I love the ropers, on a scary note my daughter's horse fell on top of her while she was riding last week. She was on the horse, correcting her as another horse passed (Beauty was being marish!) by spinning her in a circle and Beauty's hind legs went out from under her. No injurys except a sprain but it sure was nice to have a boot that slipped off!

I have seen people dragged and I've seen the ropers come off. Can't see that a lace up would do the same.....

The last stable we were at used stirrups that had elastics on the outside side. They release when a rider fell. Saw these work too all the time really (maybe even released a little TOO much! Cheap though. see below
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_X1%2D0711_A_Peacock+Fillis+Safety+Stirrups_E_

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  7:09:33 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Personally I love the ropers, on a scary note my daughter's horse fell on top of her while she was riding last week. She was on the horse, correcting her as another horse passed (Beauty was being marish!) by spinning her in a circle and Beauty's hind legs went out from under her. No injurys except a sprain but it sure was nice to have a boot that slipped off!

I have seen people dragged and I've seen the ropers come off. Can't see that a lace up would do the same.....

The last stable we were at used stirrups that had elastics on the outside side. They release when a rider fell. Saw these work too all the time really (maybe even released a little TOO much! Cheap though. see below
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_X1%2D0711_A_Peacock+Fillis+Safety+Stirrups_E_

<'\__~
_(( // ====

Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  8:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Glad your daughter & her horse escaped serious injury, Sbower! Must have been pretty scary for all of you!

Although I've never tried those safety stirrups with the elastic bands, a few people have told me that it takes very little pressure to release them, making that almost a hazard in itself. Has anybody on the DE tried them?

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  8:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Glad your daughter & her horse escaped serious injury, Sbower! Must have been pretty scary for all of you!

Although I've never tried those safety stirrups with the elastic bands, a few people have told me that it takes very little pressure to release them, making that almost a hazard in itself. Has anybody on the DE tried them?

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  8:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Concerning the Peacock sturrips, I read several different places on the net, people talking about how they aren't all that great.

I don't care if the Toestoppers look goofy, they work.... but just like riding helmets, there will be a lot of people that will refuse to try them.
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  8:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Concerning the Peacock sturrips, I read several different places on the net, people talking about how they aren't all that great.

I don't care if the Toestoppers look goofy, they work.... but just like riding helmets, there will be a lot of people that will refuse to try them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000