Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Toe Stoppers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  5:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Heard of them?

They are added to sturrups to keep the foot from sliding forward too much, and keep a riders foot from getting hung up if they fall from the horse. The rider can even wear tennis shoes etc. safely.

I got a pair of them, tried them out on my sturrups today, and was really pleased with them. I have a lot of city-folk visit that always want to "ride the horsey" around the corral, but have always worried about a fall-and-drag situation, since usually visitors are wearing tennis shoes.

Anyone have an opinions or experience with these?

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  6:17:25 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Flooper has used them for his kids and has some pics posted somewhere. They really do keep the foot from sliding through the stirrup and if I had younguns riding, I'd invest in some too.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  6:17:25 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Flooper has used them for his kids and has some pics posted somewhere. They really do keep the foot from sliding through the stirrup and if I had younguns riding, I'd invest in some too.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  6:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Paintgal: I haven't seen flooper's pics of them, posted a long time ago?

Seems like with kids, they would be almost as important as wearing a helmet, but I'm surprised more adults aren't using them also.

My old boots are about shot, and in pricing a new pair, ouch! Seems I am always in tennis shoes, so this will certainly make a spur-of-the-moment ride easier, not having to go to the house to get riding heels on.
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2005 :  6:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Paintgal: I haven't seen flooper's pics of them, posted a long time ago?

Seems like with kids, they would be almost as important as wearing a helmet, but I'm surprised more adults aren't using them also.

My old boots are about shot, and in pricing a new pair, ouch! Seems I am always in tennis shoes, so this will certainly make a spur-of-the-moment ride easier, not having to go to the house to get riding heels on.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  12:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I know a lot of riders that won't use them because of having bigger feet and not being able to find good ones that allow them to have the room they need.

Personally for myself I don't care for them and one reason is that people then think it is okay to give up the safety of good riding shoes because they feel safe. Things can still go wrong. It's like not wearing a helmet because you have a protector vest on. The right foot wear for riding do more then keeping the foot from sliding through. Stopping that does not alter the other issues that can come up with improper foot wear. I have even seen a few cases of people still getting a foot hung up with them and a few of those times wouldn't have happened without them. I have even seen some green horns try to 'lock the foot' in the stirrup by jamming the toe under them!!! Some people should just not ride a living horse. Then again those wal-mart horses can be pretty dangerous too! lol
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  12:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
I know a lot of riders that won't use them because of having bigger feet and not being able to find good ones that allow them to have the room they need.

Personally for myself I don't care for them and one reason is that people then think it is okay to give up the safety of good riding shoes because they feel safe. Things can still go wrong. It's like not wearing a helmet because you have a protector vest on. The right foot wear for riding do more then keeping the foot from sliding through. Stopping that does not alter the other issues that can come up with improper foot wear. I have even seen a few cases of people still getting a foot hung up with them and a few of those times wouldn't have happened without them. I have even seen some green horns try to 'lock the foot' in the stirrup by jamming the toe under them!!! Some people should just not ride a living horse. Then again those wal-mart horses can be pretty dangerous too! lol
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  01:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Stormie:

Are we talking about the same thing here? These have the brand name of "Toe Stoppers", seem quite durable and come in all the sizes of the different stirrups. I can't imagine how anyone could get their foot jammed "under them".

I appreciate your input, but sometimes you come off as condescending, as I am sure I am one of those "should just not ride a living horse" wal-mart people you speak of.
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  01:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Stormie:

Are we talking about the same thing here? These have the brand name of "Toe Stoppers", seem quite durable and come in all the sizes of the different stirrups. I can't imagine how anyone could get their foot jammed "under them".

I appreciate your input, but sometimes you come off as condescending, as I am sure I am one of those "should just not ride a living horse" wal-mart people you speak of.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  05:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Ree:
Is toe stoppers a brand name. I don't ride or allow anyone to ride my hoses without the proper heeled footwear. Unless it'e bareback and Fern or I leading the horse.

Could you post a picture?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  05:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Ree:
Is toe stoppers a brand name. I don't ride or allow anyone to ride my hoses without the proper heeled footwear. Unless it'e bareback and Fern or I leading the horse.

Could you post a picture?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:20:00 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I think Flooper posted about them sometime last spring but I can't find the post.

Toe Stoppers come in different sizes to fit various stirrups. I don't see how anyone could hook their toe in it to "lock" themselves in. Perhaps other devices allow one to do so but not this brand.

I wear the Ariat Terrain lace ups when I ride & love them. There are comfy and have held up well through 2 years of riding but I'll probably invest in a new pair this spring. At around $80, they aren't too terribly expensive.

While there are different levels of riding and certainly some people shouldn't ride some horses,I feel that anyone that has the desire to ride CAN ride. Everyone has to start somewhere even if it's Wal-mart horses but can learn and enjoy riding. I don't know of any "experts" here on the forum since there is always something more to learn when it comes to horses. Like most topics, if you have a question or comment, you can be sure that there is someone else that have the same concerns.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:20:00 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I think Flooper posted about them sometime last spring but I can't find the post.

Toe Stoppers come in different sizes to fit various stirrups. I don't see how anyone could hook their toe in it to "lock" themselves in. Perhaps other devices allow one to do so but not this brand.

I wear the Ariat Terrain lace ups when I ride & love them. There are comfy and have held up well through 2 years of riding but I'll probably invest in a new pair this spring. At around $80, they aren't too terribly expensive.

While there are different levels of riding and certainly some people shouldn't ride some horses,I feel that anyone that has the desire to ride CAN ride. Everyone has to start somewhere even if it's Wal-mart horses but can learn and enjoy riding. I don't know of any "experts" here on the forum since there is always something more to learn when it comes to horses. Like most topics, if you have a question or comment, you can be sure that there is someone else that have the same concerns.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
hook: paintgal beat me to the punch with the link! ;o) Although I've only ridden with the Toe Stoppers once so far, I think I'm sold on them. They are easily removable if you don't like riding with them, and then pop them back on if a visitor comes over to ride and are not wearing good boots. Personally, I think I am going to leave them on all the time, they seem like a good saftey measure for everyday riding.

Paintgal: there are other types of "saftey sturrips", some that are curved outward away from the boot on the outside vertical, some have a type of rubber band as the outside vertical. I can see where those types would still cause a hang-up if the rider fell wrong. Perhaps those are what stormie was referring to. I dunno.

Although I have owned horses most of my life, I've seldom ridden until these last couple months. Most people on this forum are helpful and kind and I appreciate all input/suggestions/answers.... but.... lately I have refrained from asking, 'cause I don't want to be told I am too dumb to even think about riding a horse.
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
hook: paintgal beat me to the punch with the link! ;o) Although I've only ridden with the Toe Stoppers once so far, I think I'm sold on them. They are easily removable if you don't like riding with them, and then pop them back on if a visitor comes over to ride and are not wearing good boots. Personally, I think I am going to leave them on all the time, they seem like a good saftey measure for everyday riding.

Paintgal: there are other types of "saftey sturrips", some that are curved outward away from the boot on the outside vertical, some have a type of rubber band as the outside vertical. I can see where those types would still cause a hang-up if the rider fell wrong. Perhaps those are what stormie was referring to. I dunno.

Although I have owned horses most of my life, I've seldom ridden until these last couple months. Most people on this forum are helpful and kind and I appreciate all input/suggestions/answers.... but.... lately I have refrained from asking, 'cause I don't want to be told I am too dumb to even think about riding a horse.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:51:24 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
The only thing I can see that may differ from riding in everyday street shoes (sneakers, tennies, or otherwise) and boots made specifically for riding is the safety of when you are not on your horse.

I read in a horsemanship book (not Parelli) that you should wear a helmet anytime you are with a horse. The idea being that a horse can give you a head injury by just working around them from the ground. I can see this, but there would be times that I'd forget to grab my helmet everytime I go out to the barn to do chores around the horses.

So, what does this have to do with wearing proper footwear? More or less the same thing. The one part of your body that is more at risk than anything else when you are around your horse is getting your feet tromped on by a hoof. It just seems to me that your foot would survive better wearing a riding boot than a sneaker... less impact to the foot... YOUR foot. JMO

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:51:24 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
The only thing I can see that may differ from riding in everyday street shoes (sneakers, tennies, or otherwise) and boots made specifically for riding is the safety of when you are not on your horse.

I read in a horsemanship book (not Parelli) that you should wear a helmet anytime you are with a horse. The idea being that a horse can give you a head injury by just working around them from the ground. I can see this, but there would be times that I'd forget to grab my helmet everytime I go out to the barn to do chores around the horses.

So, what does this have to do with wearing proper footwear? More or less the same thing. The one part of your body that is more at risk than anything else when you are around your horse is getting your feet tromped on by a hoof. It just seems to me that your foot would survive better wearing a riding boot than a sneaker... less impact to the foot... YOUR foot. JMO

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Okay...I've got 'em, I love 'em, they ARE wonderful safety device. They are not a gimmick. I agree... they are not a substitute for good riding footwear with solid heels, good riding posture, etc. But Toestoppers are excellent at preventing feet from slipping through the stirrup and getting hung up, especially in an emergency or lost balance situation. There is no way you can stick your toes under them...those are more the tapadero thingies. Even the tallest of heels can slip through a stirrup, even the best of riders can hav a foot slip through and get hung up. Children are especially prone to this type of accident. They are easy to put on and take off, they leave plenty of room for your foot, even with big boots. They are NOT tapaderos, cages, foot positioners or anything like that. Their sole purpose is to keep feet from slipping through a stirrup and preventing a catastrophic dragging accident, and they do that exceptionally well at a very, very reasonable cost. I love 'em, and won't let my kids ride without them, except when my oldest daughter is riding her barrel saddle...and on that, I put breakaway stirrups.

The breakaway stirrups are fantastic, but boy are they expensive!!! Here's the link to them:
http://www.breakawaystirrups.com/

Yes, when it comes to my daughters, I guess I overdo it on the safety thing.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 12/22/2005 10:11:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  09:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Okay...I've got 'em, I love 'em, they ARE wonderful safety device. They are not a gimmick. I agree... they are not a substitute for good riding footwear with solid heels, good riding posture, etc. But Toestoppers are excellent at preventing feet from slipping through the stirrup and getting hung up, especially in an emergency or lost balance situation. There is no way you can stick your toes under them...those are more the tapadero thingies. Even the tallest of heels can slip through a stirrup, even the best of riders can hav a foot slip through and get hung up. Children are especially prone to this type of accident. They are easy to put on and take off, they leave plenty of room for your foot, even with big boots. They are NOT tapaderos, cages, foot positioners or anything like that. Their sole purpose is to keep feet from slipping through a stirrup and preventing a catastrophic dragging accident, and they do that exceptionally well at a very, very reasonable cost. I love 'em, and won't let my kids ride without them, except when my oldest daughter is riding her barrel saddle...and on that, I put breakaway stirrups.

The breakaway stirrups are fantastic, but boy are they expensive!!! Here's the link to them:
http://www.breakawaystirrups.com/

Yes, when it comes to my daughters, I guess I overdo it on the safety thing.

Flooper

"I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess."
The Man's Prayer from the Red Green Show

Edited by - FLOOPER on 12/22/2005 10:11:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  10:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Flooper: I don't think a person can ever over-do on safety when kids are involved. Sure wish they had these when my kids were riding, perhaps I wouldn't be so gray?

I did buy a pair, tried them out for the first time yesterday. I was surprised how much more relaxed I was in the saddle with them. With the good tread on them, my foot didn't slip around as much side to side and I could concentrate on other things that I need work on. Like not falling off. ;o)
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  10:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Flooper: I don't think a person can ever over-do on safety when kids are involved. Sure wish they had these when my kids were riding, perhaps I wouldn't be so gray?

I did buy a pair, tried them out for the first time yesterday. I was surprised how much more relaxed I was in the saddle with them. With the good tread on them, my foot didn't slip around as much side to side and I could concentrate on other things that I need work on. Like not falling off. ;o)
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  10:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Thanks Paintgal for the web site. Looks real handy. I like the breakaway stirrups too.Flooper, why the breakaway stirrups over the Toe Stoppers for running barrels?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Edited by - Hook on 12/22/2005 10:28:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  10:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Thanks Paintgal for the web site. Looks real handy. I like the breakaway stirrups too.Flooper, why the breakaway stirrups over the Toe Stoppers for running barrels?

Hook(ed)......on Horses

Edited by - Hook on 12/22/2005 10:28:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Live2dream
Beginning Rider

51 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  10:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Live2dream's Homepage Send Live2dream a Private Message
Personally this is the first time i have really heard of these but they look to be a great investment.LoL my kids have been wanting to learn to ride and i have been very hesitant because hey lets face it i have 14 more years for them to give me gray hairs and i was really wanting to wait because of the hang up thing but this may help me to let them. Honestly I do not see how a person could get their feet up uinder these or get their feet far enough in them to get hung up. Truthfully this would be a good thing for most of the hack barns i have seen. Anywho just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in. Thanks for the link without it I wouldn't hve had a clue about them. As for the proper footwear i agree its best to ride with a good boot and it does help on the ground as well. But umm i have to say in my younger days i was guilty of some mighty dumb stuff like riding barefoot and in canvas tennis shoes..lol. Not saying its something anyone should do but it does happen. Anywho thanks again fo r the link have a good one.
~Ree

~ A good farrier who is reliable,cheap, and good at their job is a mythical creature liken to a unicorn... I have never seen it and probably never will.
Go to Top of Page

Live2dream
Beginning Rider

51 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  10:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Live2dream's Homepage Send Live2dream a Private Message
Personally this is the first time i have really heard of these but they look to be a great investment.LoL my kids have been wanting to learn to ride and i have been very hesitant because hey lets face it i have 14 more years for them to give me gray hairs and i was really wanting to wait because of the hang up thing but this may help me to let them. Honestly I do not see how a person could get their feet up uinder these or get their feet far enough in them to get hung up. Truthfully this would be a good thing for most of the hack barns i have seen. Anywho just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in. Thanks for the link without it I wouldn't hve had a clue about them. As for the proper footwear i agree its best to ride with a good boot and it does help on the ground as well. But umm i have to say in my younger days i was guilty of some mighty dumb stuff like riding barefoot and in canvas tennis shoes..lol. Not saying its something anyone should do but it does happen. Anywho thanks again fo r the link have a good one.
~Ree

~ A good farrier who is reliable,cheap, and good at their job is a mythical creature liken to a unicorn... I have never seen it and probably never will.
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2005 :  11:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
Hey Ree, love your name! ;o)

Rode in them again today, and I am very impressed with them. I would highly suggest these for anyone that has kids riding... and I would suggest them for oldies like me to use them also. There are a lot of rent-a-horse trail rides around this area, if I was in charge of one of those, I certainly would have this required on all the saddles. Tourists show up there in flip-flops, yikes!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000