Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Types
 Trail Saddle - multiple uses?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jrm21
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  6:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jrm21's Homepage Send jrm21 a Private Message
I am looking at buying a saddle. The different brands and types are quite confusing.

It seems that short of buying an expensive ($2k+) custom made saddle, the Circle Y brand is one of the "best" out there. This is fine by me, since I really like their styling, and it does seem like they provide value for the cost.

Right now I am leaning towards one of their "Trail" saddles. Something like the Carlsbad (2376) or Brass Tunnel (1660).

I like the trail saddle because of the deeper seat and the fact that trail riding is what I plan to do the most.

However, I would also like to "try" some barrel racing, roping, reining, penning, etc. Not necessarily at a competitive level. Just to take some classes and try it out. Is a "trail" saddle going to pose a problem? Should I be looking at a different type of saddle that is more "all purpose?" Will a flex-tree be able to stand up to some "beginner" roping activities?

Any direction you all can provide would be welcome. Would also like to know any differences that can be pointed between the two saddles mentioned above. Have read the "tunnel" description on the Circle Y website, but am not sure I understand it (or why I would need it.)

Thanks in advance.

--Joe

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  7:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
Joe,

A flex tree saddle will absolutely not work for any type of roping or any work that would put stress on the horn. Kind of like pulling a loaded 4 stall horse trailer with a mini van (ask Flooper). I would recommend an all around saddle for the multiple activities that would require a strengthened tree.

I really don't know what the advantage of the tunnel skirting is... I know I've asked Circle Y before, and have gotten an answer. It must not have rated very high on my "must have" list.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  7:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
Joe,

A flex tree saddle will absolutely not work for any type of roping or any work that would put stress on the horn. Kind of like pulling a loaded 4 stall horse trailer with a mini van (ask Flooper). I would recommend an all around saddle for the multiple activities that would require a strengthened tree.

I really don't know what the advantage of the tunnel skirting is... I know I've asked Circle Y before, and have gotten an answer. It must not have rated very high on my "must have" list.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

jrm21
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  9:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jrm21's Homepage Send jrm21 a Private Message
Chuck,

Thanks for the quick response.

About the only activity I can think of that would put stress on the horn is roping. Aside from that, would a flex tree be OK? (barrels, reining, penning, etc.)?

Either way (flex tree or not) what type of saddle would you consider an all-around saddle? Would a "ranch" saddle qualify? Is there a downside to getting a roping saddle?

The Circle Y ranch saddles (1260 - Mesa Wade is nice) are above my budget. :) What other brands are comparable quality? How do the Billy Cook and Reinsman compare/what are the differences?

Thanks,

--Joe
Go to Top of Page

jrm21
Tenderfoot

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  9:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit jrm21's Homepage Send jrm21 a Private Message
Chuck,

Thanks for the quick response.

About the only activity I can think of that would put stress on the horn is roping. Aside from that, would a flex tree be OK? (barrels, reining, penning, etc.)?

Either way (flex tree or not) what type of saddle would you consider an all-around saddle? Would a "ranch" saddle qualify? Is there a downside to getting a roping saddle?

The Circle Y ranch saddles (1260 - Mesa Wade is nice) are above my budget. :) What other brands are comparable quality? How do the Billy Cook and Reinsman compare/what are the differences?

Thanks,

--Joe
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  9:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
Circle Y does make a flex reining saddle at http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/circle-y-reiner-saddle.html which I would recommend as an all-around type saddle that will not be used with stress on the horn.

The difference between an all around and flex is the strength of the tree. With the strength will come about 10 more lbs to the weight of the saddle. I think Reinsman makes a very good product, but it just isn't very popular. We love the Billy Cook saddle, especially their ranch saddles and reining saddles. I would look into a reining saddle for all around purposes such as those at http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/reiningsaddles.html

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  9:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
Circle Y does make a flex reining saddle at http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/circle-y-reiner-saddle.html which I would recommend as an all-around type saddle that will not be used with stress on the horn.

The difference between an all around and flex is the strength of the tree. With the strength will come about 10 more lbs to the weight of the saddle. I think Reinsman makes a very good product, but it just isn't very popular. We love the Billy Cook saddle, especially their ranch saddles and reining saddles. I would look into a reining saddle for all around purposes such as those at http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/reiningsaddles.html

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  10:05:03 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Hi Joe, and welcome to.

I don't know how good a barrel saddle would be for roping or reining, but I trail ride in mine all the time (I had the barrel saddle before I started doing serious trail riding). Most barrel saddles have a deep seat and hold you well when traveling up or down hills. The only thing I changed on mine were the stirrups. I have bad knees and replaced the narrow laced stirrups that came with my saddle with those nice extra wide trail stirrups like the ones you see on most Tucker brand saddles. It sure helped my knees.

Chuck knows saddles, and he won't steer you wrong, but I just had to get in my 2 cents worth.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  10:05:03 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Hi Joe, and welcome to.

I don't know how good a barrel saddle would be for roping or reining, but I trail ride in mine all the time (I had the barrel saddle before I started doing serious trail riding). Most barrel saddles have a deep seat and hold you well when traveling up or down hills. The only thing I changed on mine were the stirrups. I have bad knees and replaced the narrow laced stirrups that came with my saddle with those nice extra wide trail stirrups like the ones you see on most Tucker brand saddles. It sure helped my knees.

Chuck knows saddles, and he won't steer you wrong, but I just had to get in my 2 cents worth.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000