Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 How did you buy your first horse?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  7:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
Hi all,
As I get closer to making my long-time dream of owning a horse a reality, I am curious as to how others have gone about buying their first horse? If you went out and bought one (as opposed to being given one, marrying into one or otherwise inheriting one) I am really curious as to how many of you maybe bought a lesson horse you bonded with, answered an ad, took your chances at an auction, bought your friend's horse, etc. I would love to hear your stories! Thanks in advance.

sharon
Advanced Rider

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  9:03:39 PM  Show Profile Send sharon a Private Message
I did marry into horse ownership. My husband owned a beautiful saddlebred mare that had a reputation of being a witch but she loved me and took very good care of me. I loved her, too. She has since passed away. But the first horse we bought for ME was a TWH mare. My hubby loved her and thought I would, too. But she was a real spooky type and I was new to horses so that just didn't work out. The second horse that was bought for me was a AQHA gelding "Artie". He was small and fun and I rode him awhile then gave him to my son. My hubby then bought me a huge Appy Gelding, "Buck". He was over 16H and required a large everything. He proved to me that Appys ain't as rough ridin as people think. Ownership of Buck ended up in a legal dispute and I had to return him to the man I bought him from. I then bought (from an aquaintance) an AQHA mare named Sheeza Special Sport. She was a been there done that kind of horse. Had been used in Special Olympics and had extensive miles on her. She was great and I rode her for along time. She was no pet, but a wonderful riding partner. Then I decided I'd like to try a gaited horse and bought Smokey. 13.1H paso/morgan. Stubborn as a mule with several bad habits. But I enjoyed the smooth ride. Meanwhile, my son starts driving and chasing girls and Sheeza was not being used. I loved Sheeza and allowed her to be used as a lesson horse at a nearby farm. They were very pleased with her a purchased her. She was 19 yrs old. I believe she will always get the best of care and has a good home. Now as it goes, horses with bad habits don't usually stick around long if you can't correct the problems. Needless to say, Smokey was sold and believe it or not was replaced by an unbroke mule, Francis. We only had Francis a couple of weeks when I was offered an 8yr old rackin mare, Taylor. I could't afford the mare but was able to trade with the mule and a little cash to boot. Taylor and I get along just fine. She reminds me so much of Sheeza. She does not care for petting much but is all business under saddle and have wonderful gound mannors. She is not perfect but she suits me fine and I hope she will never give me a reason to want to sell her.
This is just MY horse story. My husband has one of his own that he could tell. We have owned Brandy, Georgia, Dancer, Scout, Buck, Partytime, Lace, Sheeza, Artie, Smokey, Katie, Francis, and Taylor. We still have Lace and Taylor. Most of what we bought were horse that we heard about through the grapvine of friends and relatives. Most of them where horses we had never seen until we inquired about them. Taylor was actually going to the auction when I bought her just before the auction started. I bought her from my neice, who is a "Horse Trader". By the way, she doubled her money on the mule.

"You never know til you know for sure and even then its hard to tell."

Edited by - sharon on 12/07/2005 9:07:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

sharon
Advanced Rider

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  9:03:39 PM  Show Profile Send sharon a Private Message
I did marry into horse ownership. My husband owned a beautiful saddlebred mare that had a reputation of being a witch but she loved me and took very good care of me. I loved her, too. She has since passed away. But the first horse we bought for ME was a TWH mare. My hubby loved her and thought I would, too. But she was a real spooky type and I was new to horses so that just didn't work out. The second horse that was bought for me was a AQHA gelding "Artie". He was small and fun and I rode him awhile then gave him to my son. My hubby then bought me a huge Appy Gelding, "Buck". He was over 16H and required a large everything. He proved to me that Appys ain't as rough ridin as people think. Ownership of Buck ended up in a legal dispute and I had to return him to the man I bought him from. I then bought (from an aquaintance) an AQHA mare named Sheeza Special Sport. She was a been there done that kind of horse. Had been used in Special Olympics and had extensive miles on her. She was great and I rode her for along time. She was no pet, but a wonderful riding partner. Then I decided I'd like to try a gaited horse and bought Smokey. 13.1H paso/morgan. Stubborn as a mule with several bad habits. But I enjoyed the smooth ride. Meanwhile, my son starts driving and chasing girls and Sheeza was not being used. I loved Sheeza and allowed her to be used as a lesson horse at a nearby farm. They were very pleased with her a purchased her. She was 19 yrs old. I believe she will always get the best of care and has a good home. Now as it goes, horses with bad habits don't usually stick around long if you can't correct the problems. Needless to say, Smokey was sold and believe it or not was replaced by an unbroke mule, Francis. We only had Francis a couple of weeks when I was offered an 8yr old rackin mare, Taylor. I could't afford the mare but was able to trade with the mule and a little cash to boot. Taylor and I get along just fine. She reminds me so much of Sheeza. She does not care for petting much but is all business under saddle and have wonderful gound mannors. She is not perfect but she suits me fine and I hope she will never give me a reason to want to sell her.
This is just MY horse story. My husband has one of his own that he could tell. We have owned Brandy, Georgia, Dancer, Scout, Buck, Partytime, Lace, Sheeza, Artie, Smokey, Katie, Francis, and Taylor. We still have Lace and Taylor. Most of what we bought were horse that we heard about through the grapvine of friends and relatives. Most of them where horses we had never seen until we inquired about them. Taylor was actually going to the auction when I bought her just before the auction started. I bought her from my neice, who is a "Horse Trader". By the way, she doubled her money on the mule.

"You never know til you know for sure and even then its hard to tell."

Edited by - sharon on 12/07/2005 9:07:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  9:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
.....cash... rofl

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  9:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
.....cash... rofl

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:17:19 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Ah yes... buying that first horse.

The very first horse my family had was a pony for us kids. I was only 11 at the time back in the early to mid 60's. It seemed a man nearby had a herd of pony brood mares and for years had been letting people give them a good home to be ridden by their children for the cost of caring for the pony. The mare was always in foal and the foals, once weaned belonged to him. The problem was, we fell in love with the colt Lady dropped. We bought him and returned Lady. That colt became a gelding about a year later and my pony Rocket. He was mine but my step-mom and my dad had the last say so as to what I could & couldn't do with him. Ahhh, the childhood memories I have of Rocket.

Once I turned 18 in 1970 and had a full time job, I went shopping for that first horse that would be 100% mine. It didn't matter that I didn't have a truck or a trailer. The first thing I bought with my hard earned money was going to be a horse.

There were lots of old time horse traders around back then, and I knew most of them from reputation. But all I wanted was a horse to ride. So, I drafted my dad to be my chauffuer and we spent all day going from one horse trader to another. Of course, if one came up empty, we'd ask if they knew of anyone who might have what we're looking for. And so it went all day long.

I was beginning to think we were going to come up empty handed when we stopped at a barn to look at two likely candidates... and that's where I found a registered palomino mare with the unlikely name of Miss Wimp. Once we had her home we found out in the next few weeks she had some bad habits... so bad that I ended up selling her about a month after I bought her. So, back to horse hunting, again. By now, I had an old GMC pickup truck so I didn't have to rely on Dad, but I came up empty handed. During that time I rode some real mavricks and came to realize what a gem Wimpy really was. About a month after I sold her, I traced her down and bought her back. I had her for the rest of her life, and there never was a better horse to teach me my early lessons about horses & riding. She was one great mare.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  11:17:19 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Ah yes... buying that first horse.

The very first horse my family had was a pony for us kids. I was only 11 at the time back in the early to mid 60's. It seemed a man nearby had a herd of pony brood mares and for years had been letting people give them a good home to be ridden by their children for the cost of caring for the pony. The mare was always in foal and the foals, once weaned belonged to him. The problem was, we fell in love with the colt Lady dropped. We bought him and returned Lady. That colt became a gelding about a year later and my pony Rocket. He was mine but my step-mom and my dad had the last say so as to what I could & couldn't do with him. Ahhh, the childhood memories I have of Rocket.

Once I turned 18 in 1970 and had a full time job, I went shopping for that first horse that would be 100% mine. It didn't matter that I didn't have a truck or a trailer. The first thing I bought with my hard earned money was going to be a horse.

There were lots of old time horse traders around back then, and I knew most of them from reputation. But all I wanted was a horse to ride. So, I drafted my dad to be my chauffuer and we spent all day going from one horse trader to another. Of course, if one came up empty, we'd ask if they knew of anyone who might have what we're looking for. And so it went all day long.

I was beginning to think we were going to come up empty handed when we stopped at a barn to look at two likely candidates... and that's where I found a registered palomino mare with the unlikely name of Miss Wimp. Once we had her home we found out in the next few weeks she had some bad habits... so bad that I ended up selling her about a month after I bought her. So, back to horse hunting, again. By now, I had an old GMC pickup truck so I didn't have to rely on Dad, but I came up empty handed. During that time I rode some real mavricks and came to realize what a gem Wimpy really was. About a month after I sold her, I traced her down and bought her back. I had her for the rest of her life, and there never was a better horse to teach me my early lessons about horses & riding. She was one great mare.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Phoodforhorses
Beginning Rider

Canada
83 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  12:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phoodforhorses's Homepage Send Phoodforhorses a Private Message
The first horse I bought was my old lesson horse. He was a 15 yr. old Arab gelding. What a sweetheart. He took me far but then developed bad arthritis. When he could no longer be ridden faster than a walk, I sent him out to my Aunt's farm for retirement. He lived out the rest of his years quite happy and in good company.

The second horse I bought was a huge mistake. It was recommended to me by my dressage trainer. An OTTB about 5 yr. old gelding. He had really nice movement but was a bit squirrelly (to say the least). He kept having these 'blow-ups' where he would be going totally fine and then suddenly jump off the ground with all four feet, squeal like a pig, and then take off in an uncontrolled gallop. I had my trainer ride him and he did the same thing with her but it was so unpredictable. You never knew when it would happen. The vet thought he was having some sort of seizures. I liked to trail ride and knew that I could never trust him off the property. I ended up selling him to a chariot racer of all things.

My third horse was my best. She was a 2 yr. old. green broke QH mare. I had her for 6 years. In that time I could trail ride her, jump her, won many ribbons in dressage and she was even used in a riding for the disabled program. I eventually had to sell her when I decided to start a family. She went to a good home with a 14 yr. old girl who wanted to use her for eventing. I must say that I looked at about 10 horses before I bought her and was definitely looking for something with a good personality. I rode her 3 times before I actually handed over the check. That way I was pretty sure that she was the same steady horse each time and I wouldn't have any surprises.

I am now looking at buying another horse this spring. I definitely want something that is a bit older this time (about 6 and up) that I can just take out on some trail rides and enjoy. I don't mind the younger ones but it takes lots of time and energy to get them to the stage where you know what you can expect from them in different situations. The younger ones also seem to go through a testing period as they mature and I don't really want to spend my time and effort on that as I have two little kids at home and just want to be able to jump on and have fun.

I have always had all my horses vet checked before I bought them and will do this again with the new one.

Good luck in your search.
Go to Top of Page

Phoodforhorses
Beginning Rider

Canada
83 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  12:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phoodforhorses's Homepage Send Phoodforhorses a Private Message
The first horse I bought was my old lesson horse. He was a 15 yr. old Arab gelding. What a sweetheart. He took me far but then developed bad arthritis. When he could no longer be ridden faster than a walk, I sent him out to my Aunt's farm for retirement. He lived out the rest of his years quite happy and in good company.

The second horse I bought was a huge mistake. It was recommended to me by my dressage trainer. An OTTB about 5 yr. old gelding. He had really nice movement but was a bit squirrelly (to say the least). He kept having these 'blow-ups' where he would be going totally fine and then suddenly jump off the ground with all four feet, squeal like a pig, and then take off in an uncontrolled gallop. I had my trainer ride him and he did the same thing with her but it was so unpredictable. You never knew when it would happen. The vet thought he was having some sort of seizures. I liked to trail ride and knew that I could never trust him off the property. I ended up selling him to a chariot racer of all things.

My third horse was my best. She was a 2 yr. old. green broke QH mare. I had her for 6 years. In that time I could trail ride her, jump her, won many ribbons in dressage and she was even used in a riding for the disabled program. I eventually had to sell her when I decided to start a family. She went to a good home with a 14 yr. old girl who wanted to use her for eventing. I must say that I looked at about 10 horses before I bought her and was definitely looking for something with a good personality. I rode her 3 times before I actually handed over the check. That way I was pretty sure that she was the same steady horse each time and I wouldn't have any surprises.

I am now looking at buying another horse this spring. I definitely want something that is a bit older this time (about 6 and up) that I can just take out on some trail rides and enjoy. I don't mind the younger ones but it takes lots of time and energy to get them to the stage where you know what you can expect from them in different situations. The younger ones also seem to go through a testing period as they mature and I don't really want to spend my time and effort on that as I have two little kids at home and just want to be able to jump on and have fun.

I have always had all my horses vet checked before I bought them and will do this again with the new one.

Good luck in your search.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  1:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Ex eventer 7 y/o TB not ridden in 2 yrs (except 1-2x/yr around the block) who just weaned foal for $1 and no slaughter/no showing clause, seller first right to have horse back for $1 if ever sold. Me, returnee in 40's to horses, never owned my own. Been retaking lessons for 1 1/2yrs and figured was ready for it... horse knew/knows a whole lot more than me, hyper,spooky,run you over type....what was I thinking??? Oh yeah, the $1 purchase price!! Has a click when she walks, and sensitive on back. Needed chiro and helped. Doesn't impair her for my trail toodling.

In way over my head, took it really slow and things working out...had her 4 yrs. now..and the one horse I have that I never shared a dirt sandwhich with....YET Have dismounted and cancelled rides wisely though...easy to read attitude!!
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  1:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Ex eventer 7 y/o TB not ridden in 2 yrs (except 1-2x/yr around the block) who just weaned foal for $1 and no slaughter/no showing clause, seller first right to have horse back for $1 if ever sold. Me, returnee in 40's to horses, never owned my own. Been retaking lessons for 1 1/2yrs and figured was ready for it... horse knew/knows a whole lot more than me, hyper,spooky,run you over type....what was I thinking??? Oh yeah, the $1 purchase price!! Has a click when she walks, and sensitive on back. Needed chiro and helped. Doesn't impair her for my trail toodling.

In way over my head, took it really slow and things working out...had her 4 yrs. now..and the one horse I have that I never shared a dirt sandwhich with....YET Have dismounted and cancelled rides wisely though...easy to read attitude!!
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  05:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
My first horse...wow. A real lesson in "how NOT to do things"! I was 13 and horse-crazy. My parents finally agreed to give me a horse for Christmas, but knew nothing themselves. We ended up buying an older mustang mare from a horse dealer. She seemed to be pretty quiet. But after I got her, everything changed. She freaked out when tied, saddled, or bridled. She spooked at everything and also put me in the hospital (no memory of what actually happened, but it seems she may have reared & fallen over on top of me). Looking back, I'm guessing she was drugged when I took my initial ride on her, and that we were just to dumb to know some horse dealers did things like that...

I had her for 2 years, and by the end of that time, anyone could ride her.

IMO, I think the best way to find a good horse is if you have a situation where you can ride & get to know the horse BEFORE you buy it. Unfortunately, that situation often isn't possible unless the prospect is owned by someone you know, or is a lesson horse, etc.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  05:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
My first horse...wow. A real lesson in "how NOT to do things"! I was 13 and horse-crazy. My parents finally agreed to give me a horse for Christmas, but knew nothing themselves. We ended up buying an older mustang mare from a horse dealer. She seemed to be pretty quiet. But after I got her, everything changed. She freaked out when tied, saddled, or bridled. She spooked at everything and also put me in the hospital (no memory of what actually happened, but it seems she may have reared & fallen over on top of me). Looking back, I'm guessing she was drugged when I took my initial ride on her, and that we were just to dumb to know some horse dealers did things like that...

I had her for 2 years, and by the end of that time, anyone could ride her.

IMO, I think the best way to find a good horse is if you have a situation where you can ride & get to know the horse BEFORE you buy it. Unfortunately, that situation often isn't possible unless the prospect is owned by someone you know, or is a lesson horse, etc.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

ttyndale
Trainer

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  07:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit ttyndale's Homepage Send ttyndale a Private Message
My first and only horse so far is Gabriel of whom I've had over 1 year now. I was fortunate that I had a horseman mentor who gave me direction at the time. Based solely on his word I brought Gabriel. He told me "that's a good horse get the horse." I said I will meet up with you tomorrow with the money, he said no get the money now before the guy changes his mind. I brought Gabriel in November which is a good time to buy because generally horses will be much cheaper in the winter time.

I never handled him or "test drove" him. We hit it off real well and we are a very good match. We both need some work though but were are doing well. :)
Go to Top of Page

ttyndale
Trainer

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  07:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit ttyndale's Homepage Send ttyndale a Private Message
My first and only horse so far is Gabriel of whom I've had over 1 year now. I was fortunate that I had a horseman mentor who gave me direction at the time. Based solely on his word I brought Gabriel. He told me "that's a good horse get the horse." I said I will meet up with you tomorrow with the money, he said no get the money now before the guy changes his mind. I brought Gabriel in November which is a good time to buy because generally horses will be much cheaper in the winter time.

I never handled him or "test drove" him. We hit it off real well and we are a very good match. We both need some work though but were are doing well. :)
Go to Top of Page

paintedbliss
Trainer

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:09:34 AM  Show Profile Send paintedbliss a Private Message
my first horse was one i leased from hubbys coworker. She was 24 they claimed she was the perfect horse..Wrong! I was so green, did not even know how to groom a horse. She loved to be groomed but hated to be ridden, when the owner was tacking her up for my daughter who was just 13 at the time she charged at her and knocked her down. I then was giving horseownership secondthoughts, quit the lease and decided to just take riding lesson with a lady i met at a qhcongress show.
She is one of my best buddies today. A couple years later I told hubby i was ready to buy a horse,who thought it would be great starting out with a baby. That was another wrong thought but i have had sweetie for the last 1-1/2 years and love her to death. She can be a brat at times but knew the farrier boarded horses so we boarded for the last year so so. She's home now, I just bought bliss, she's only been home for a few days but a true babydoll. I have not ridden her yet just trying to help her adjust, but so far no bad habits and she just adores sweetie. I have noticed sweetie is much better behaved since i brought her home and has bliss as a mate. The farrier gave good care but some of the horses were really aggressive with her and i think she is happier with me now.
Go to Top of Page

paintedbliss
Trainer

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:09:34 AM  Show Profile Send paintedbliss a Private Message
my first horse was one i leased from hubbys coworker. She was 24 they claimed she was the perfect horse..Wrong! I was so green, did not even know how to groom a horse. She loved to be groomed but hated to be ridden, when the owner was tacking her up for my daughter who was just 13 at the time she charged at her and knocked her down. I then was giving horseownership secondthoughts, quit the lease and decided to just take riding lesson with a lady i met at a qhcongress show.
She is one of my best buddies today. A couple years later I told hubby i was ready to buy a horse,who thought it would be great starting out with a baby. That was another wrong thought but i have had sweetie for the last 1-1/2 years and love her to death. She can be a brat at times but knew the farrier boarded horses so we boarded for the last year so so. She's home now, I just bought bliss, she's only been home for a few days but a true babydoll. I have not ridden her yet just trying to help her adjust, but so far no bad habits and she just adores sweetie. I have noticed sweetie is much better behaved since i brought her home and has bliss as a mate. The farrier gave good care but some of the horses were really aggressive with her and i think she is happier with me now.
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  11:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
Thanks everyone!
Phoodforhorses, I hear you - my riding time is somewhat limited also and I just want to be able to get on, ride, and enjoy myself, so I am looking for something with more mileage also. A green horse is not for me, I don't have the time, energy or experience to get it where it needs to be. Unfortunately, the green ones tend to be a whole lot cheaper!

Ez2spot, thats what I plan. I am lucky that where I ride, I can lease, or at least have an extended try-out period, before I buy. I have, as ttyndale put it, a "horseman mentor" also and he understands what I am capable of handling and what I am not.

Paintedbliss, I would have done the same thing. If a horse charged and knocked my daughter down, there would be no more discussion and no more lease, I would be on to the next horse!

Ttyndale, you are either very brave, very optimistic, or you really trust your mentor! I trust mine too but...horses seem to like to test me, and most of the time the horse wins. That's not to say all, though. Some I have developed good relationships with. Several were offered to me for sale, but I couldn't do it at the time. They are all owned by people in our circle of aquaintances though so who knows, they may resurface when word gets around that I am in the market...
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  11:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
Thanks everyone!
Phoodforhorses, I hear you - my riding time is somewhat limited also and I just want to be able to get on, ride, and enjoy myself, so I am looking for something with more mileage also. A green horse is not for me, I don't have the time, energy or experience to get it where it needs to be. Unfortunately, the green ones tend to be a whole lot cheaper!

Ez2spot, thats what I plan. I am lucky that where I ride, I can lease, or at least have an extended try-out period, before I buy. I have, as ttyndale put it, a "horseman mentor" also and he understands what I am capable of handling and what I am not.

Paintedbliss, I would have done the same thing. If a horse charged and knocked my daughter down, there would be no more discussion and no more lease, I would be on to the next horse!

Ttyndale, you are either very brave, very optimistic, or you really trust your mentor! I trust mine too but...horses seem to like to test me, and most of the time the horse wins. That's not to say all, though. Some I have developed good relationships with. Several were offered to me for sale, but I couldn't do it at the time. They are all owned by people in our circle of aquaintances though so who knows, they may resurface when word gets around that I am in the market...
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  12:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
sorry, I ended that post too soon. Sharon, its funny you should mention the horse was about to go to the auction. My mentor/instructor has been talking about this older been there-done that gelding that has been circulating around among some of our aquaintances for a few months. Well, now the owner decided that the horse has sat around too long doing nothing, so he will be going to the auction tomorrow. Anyway, the horse is well within my price range, but without ever having ridden him or being around him, it just doesn't seem a wise thing to do. I suppose its possible that he won't sell and he may eventually get circulated to our barn.
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  12:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
sorry, I ended that post too soon. Sharon, its funny you should mention the horse was about to go to the auction. My mentor/instructor has been talking about this older been there-done that gelding that has been circulating around among some of our aquaintances for a few months. Well, now the owner decided that the horse has sat around too long doing nothing, so he will be going to the auction tomorrow. Anyway, the horse is well within my price range, but without ever having ridden him or being around him, it just doesn't seem a wise thing to do. I suppose its possible that he won't sell and he may eventually get circulated to our barn.
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  11:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
My advice would be to take your time and not rush into anything. There are a lot of good horses out there. Leasing a horse from a lesson barn sounds ideal to me, because it would give you an opportunity to sample what it would be like to actually own the horse and be responsible for it on a day-to-day basis.

A truly perfect horse is rare (must be; I've had horses for 37 years, and haven't come across perfection yet!). It mostly boils down to the horse having the right personality and training for you, and being servicibly sound for the kind of riding you want to do.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  11:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
My advice would be to take your time and not rush into anything. There are a lot of good horses out there. Leasing a horse from a lesson barn sounds ideal to me, because it would give you an opportunity to sample what it would be like to actually own the horse and be responsible for it on a day-to-day basis.

A truly perfect horse is rare (must be; I've had horses for 37 years, and haven't come across perfection yet!). It mostly boils down to the horse having the right personality and training for you, and being servicibly sound for the kind of riding you want to do.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  12:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
Yes, I had to tell him no on the horse. It is my money that gets wasted and my old bones that hit the ground if it turns out he is not as great as they say, so I told him what he always tells me, "another good horse always comes along". He understood. I trust that he will find me another one eventually, without having to make a decision overnight. Ez2spot - believe me, I HATE parting with money, so you bet I will take my time and make sure the horse is as good a match as it can reasonably be. If I end up leasing and riding it 100 times before I buy thats ok with me. Since I have returned to riding I have seen lots of lesson people buy a horse right away and lots of them were big mistakes. There are some horse "quirks" I can deal with, with proper guidance, but some of these horses were just plain too much horse for the owners and that is NOT the route I want to take.
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  12:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
Yes, I had to tell him no on the horse. It is my money that gets wasted and my old bones that hit the ground if it turns out he is not as great as they say, so I told him what he always tells me, "another good horse always comes along". He understood. I trust that he will find me another one eventually, without having to make a decision overnight. Ez2spot - believe me, I HATE parting with money, so you bet I will take my time and make sure the horse is as good a match as it can reasonably be. If I end up leasing and riding it 100 times before I buy thats ok with me. Since I have returned to riding I have seen lots of lesson people buy a horse right away and lots of them were big mistakes. There are some horse "quirks" I can deal with, with proper guidance, but some of these horses were just plain too much horse for the owners and that is NOT the route I want to take.
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  09:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by elizNY

Yes, I had to tell him no on the horse. It is my money that gets wasted and my old bones that hit the ground if it turns out he is not as great as they say, so I told him what he always tells me, "another good horse always comes along".

WAY TO GO LIZ;
Buying a horse should not be a snap decision. YOU will KNOW when the fit is right. Remember the purchase price of the horse should not be a large factor when you look at the cost of keeping the horse over the next 10 to 15 years. Wait for the right horse.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000