Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Your Best Cold Weather Riding Clothes??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  3:56:40 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Okay, here's a topic that's DEAR to my heart. New England "mild" weather can be discouraging for riding and I know we're not alone. Serious winter (assuming no deep snow) will be even worse.

I'm asking what nifty stuff people have discovered that really keeps you warm. One thing I'll offer up as a recommendation, for women anyway, is a type of long johns called "Thin Skins" also known as "Cuddle Duds." I find these amazing. My set is about 10 years old, and I hope they haven't changed them one bit because I want to order more. They're a thin fabric that looks like it wouldn't do beans. On the inside, cotton type surface. On the outside, nylon type surface which lets jeans, etc. slide over them like skin, not get bunchy. I find they add a LOT to keeping warm (amazing in fact), especially under chinos or jeans. Need to Google "Cuddle Duds" because they're sold still. The only place I'd found them when I got them was Vermont Country Store (mail order). VCS tends to carry stuff you can't find elsewhere but Cuddle Duds (assuming they're the same) are around here and there.

What I'm looking for (and I bet I'm not alone there either) is warm gloves!!! Ones that let you have dexterity but stand some chance of keeping your fingers warm. Ski gloves don't even keep my fingers warm. And forget leather, the leather gets cold and transmits it worse to your fingers. Any recommendations?? Somewhere I read something about deep sea diver wetsuit type fabric, but can't find a thing on it. Three initials stick in mind as a reference, but other than that...

Other recommendations anyone wants to share?? Long unders, gloves, a kind of socks you find warm enough... boots that don't freeze on your feet, lol. I hope other people post "sleepers" that they've found they like for hanging around outside in cold weather.

Edited by - OnTheWay on 12/03/2005 5:09:03 PM

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  9:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
15 years ago, my husband gave me a pair of insulated coveralls for Christmas, the one piece kind that you don't need to wear a coat with.... my city-sister (whose husband gave her a diamond necklace for Christmas) was appalled at my husband's lack of romance in choosing a gift.

I told her "But they are exactly what I asked for, and what more proof of love, than wanting me to keep warm at 2:00 AM when I am stuck out in the barn at lambing time?" ;o)

I still have those coveralls, and still use them. Easy to step into to head outside. Easy to toss in the washer and dryer when needed. Although I've never ridden in them, I don't think they would restrict movement too much.

I like wool, wool socks, wool hats and neck scarves. For gloves, I wear wool gloves with leather palms and have wool mittens that I can wear over those when the temps are really low. I have a problem with losing gloves, so I usually end up with mix-matched ones. Quite stylish!!!

Edited by - ree7 on 12/03/2005 9:45:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  9:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
15 years ago, my husband gave me a pair of insulated coveralls for Christmas, the one piece kind that you don't need to wear a coat with.... my city-sister (whose husband gave her a diamond necklace for Christmas) was appalled at my husband's lack of romance in choosing a gift.

I told her "But they are exactly what I asked for, and what more proof of love, than wanting me to keep warm at 2:00 AM when I am stuck out in the barn at lambing time?" ;o)

I still have those coveralls, and still use them. Easy to step into to head outside. Easy to toss in the washer and dryer when needed. Although I've never ridden in them, I don't think they would restrict movement too much.

I like wool, wool socks, wool hats and neck scarves. For gloves, I wear wool gloves with leather palms and have wool mittens that I can wear over those when the temps are really low. I have a problem with losing gloves, so I usually end up with mix-matched ones. Quite stylish!!!

Edited by - ree7 on 12/03/2005 9:45:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  11:38:38 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
LOL Ree. Actually, the one thing wrong with diamond necklaces is you can't ride them, eat them, cook in them or sleep with them. Everything else is secondary.

Wool, eh? Well, this may sound like a firm grasp of the obvious MISSED, but before Cloud, I didn't spend much time hanging around outside so I don't have much in the way of wool. It's probably the first thing I should have thought of. I may do some better looking at wool stuff, because you sure sound pretty happy with it, and it definitely makes sense.

A big "HMMMMM!" on the coveralls you mentioned! Is it like a jumpsuit? I've checked for waterproof overpants everywhere, and it's amazing how many rain or warm JACKETS there are out there but nothing for the bottom half! I mean, when it's pouring or snowing, the top of you may stay warm and dry but it's like clothing makers just turn a blind eye toward the bottom half. Are yours bulky (not bad if they are) or a gortex type thing?
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  11:38:38 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
LOL Ree. Actually, the one thing wrong with diamond necklaces is you can't ride them, eat them, cook in them or sleep with them. Everything else is secondary.

Wool, eh? Well, this may sound like a firm grasp of the obvious MISSED, but before Cloud, I didn't spend much time hanging around outside so I don't have much in the way of wool. It's probably the first thing I should have thought of. I may do some better looking at wool stuff, because you sure sound pretty happy with it, and it definitely makes sense.

A big "HMMMMM!" on the coveralls you mentioned! Is it like a jumpsuit? I've checked for waterproof overpants everywhere, and it's amazing how many rain or warm JACKETS there are out there but nothing for the bottom half! I mean, when it's pouring or snowing, the top of you may stay warm and dry but it's like clothing makers just turn a blind eye toward the bottom half. Are yours bulky (not bad if they are) or a gortex type thing?
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
The brand I have is Key, so you can google "key coveralls" and see some similar. I think they run around $35.00 or so. One piece, zipper front. Carhartt also make them, and they are great also.

I dunno if wool is the best, just what I'm used to, I suppose. Thinsulate is great stuff too.

edited to say: just be sure to look for insulated coveralls, not just the regular kind.

Edited by - ree7 on 12/04/2005 12:08:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
The brand I have is Key, so you can google "key coveralls" and see some similar. I think they run around $35.00 or so. One piece, zipper front. Carhartt also make them, and they are great also.

I dunno if wool is the best, just what I'm used to, I suppose. Thinsulate is great stuff too.

edited to say: just be sure to look for insulated coveralls, not just the regular kind.

Edited by - ree7 on 12/04/2005 12:08:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  01:45:29 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Okay, I'll definitely look into both Key and Carhartt. Actually an advertiser I'd like to get into the magazine sells Carhartt, that would kill 2 birds with one stone, LOL! As for wool, I have a feeling I've been overlooking it beyond what I should. So much of what you see is fleece, etc. that it's easy to forget about the tried and proven!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  01:45:29 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Okay, I'll definitely look into both Key and Carhartt. Actually an advertiser I'd like to get into the magazine sells Carhartt, that would kill 2 birds with one stone, LOL! As for wool, I have a feeling I've been overlooking it beyond what I should. So much of what you see is fleece, etc. that it's easy to forget about the tried and proven!
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  06:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
One thing I like is those "180" earmuffs or something similiar. They go behind the neck and the part covering the ears is flat, and a helmet fits over them nicely. Not that I ride much in really cold weather!!

I have Carhartt coat & overalls, and like them for working in the barn, but can't imagine riding in them, as they are so stiff & heavy. People tell me the DO ride in them, though...

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  06:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
One thing I like is those "180" earmuffs or something similiar. They go behind the neck and the part covering the ears is flat, and a helmet fits over them nicely. Not that I ride much in really cold weather!!

I have Carhartt coat & overalls, and like them for working in the barn, but can't imagine riding in them, as they are so stiff & heavy. People tell me the DO ride in them, though...

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  09:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
EZ2SPOT: I'll have to look for those earmuffs, was wondering what works with these helmets, thanks for the idea!

My insulated Key coveralls are very worn, and very "broke in" so not stiff, but I think even new, the Keys aren't as stiff as Carhartt? I think when purchasing coveralls for riding, it would be best to try on different kinds/sizes and actually do exercises in them, to see how pliable they are.
Go to Top of Page

ree7
Advanced Rider

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  09:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit ree7's Homepage Send ree7 a Private Message
EZ2SPOT: I'll have to look for those earmuffs, was wondering what works with these helmets, thanks for the idea!

My insulated Key coveralls are very worn, and very "broke in" so not stiff, but I think even new, the Keys aren't as stiff as Carhartt? I think when purchasing coveralls for riding, it would be best to try on different kinds/sizes and actually do exercises in them, to see how pliable they are.
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  10:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
My coveralls are also well broken in and not stiff at all. Many time thru the wash over the years have helped, and very comfie to ride in. My Carhartt coat is only a couple of years old and is still so stiff that I threaten to SLEEP in it to break it in. I do ride in my coat, with an thick hoodie under it so that I can leave the zipper open if I'm out of the wind.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  10:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
My coveralls are also well broken in and not stiff at all. Many time thru the wash over the years have helped, and very comfie to ride in. My Carhartt coat is only a couple of years old and is still so stiff that I threaten to SLEEP in it to break it in. I do ride in my coat, with an thick hoodie under it so that I can leave the zipper open if I'm out of the wind.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  11:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
Fern asks what you guys wear on your feet to keep them warm when riding.

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  11:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  11:40:55 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I bought my first Carhartt jacket this year and I just love it. On Thanksgiving Day we had temps around 17+ with icy cold winds gusting up to 40 mph. I imagine the wind chill had to be around zero that day. I thought the wind was going to blow me down, but I didn't feel a thing through that Carthartt jacket! It blocked the wind entirely, and I was comfortable the entire time I was outside. I've never had a jacket that could do that. I like the nice heavy metal zipper, too. It sure does the trick in freezing cold temps.

As for my legs, I wear long johns. It's been awhile since I looked at the name brand, but mine aren't bulky at all and fit nicely under my jeans.

I make my own ski cap with Red Heart yarn. I crochet and make it double thick & reversable. My head stays toasty the entire time I'm wearing it.

I had a pair of black gloves for years made by Thinsulate. They were the warmest gloves I ever had, but I can't find anything like them anywhere, now. I originally bought them at Wal*mart in the hunting section. I just wish I could find another pair like them, again.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  11:40:55 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
I bought my first Carhartt jacket this year and I just love it. On Thanksgiving Day we had temps around 17+ with icy cold winds gusting up to 40 mph. I imagine the wind chill had to be around zero that day. I thought the wind was going to blow me down, but I didn't feel a thing through that Carthartt jacket! It blocked the wind entirely, and I was comfortable the entire time I was outside. I've never had a jacket that could do that. I like the nice heavy metal zipper, too. It sure does the trick in freezing cold temps.

As for my legs, I wear long johns. It's been awhile since I looked at the name brand, but mine aren't bulky at all and fit nicely under my jeans.

I make my own ski cap with Red Heart yarn. I crochet and make it double thick & reversable. My head stays toasty the entire time I'm wearing it.

I had a pair of black gloves for years made by Thinsulate. They were the warmest gloves I ever had, but I can't find anything like them anywhere, now. I originally bought them at Wal*mart in the hunting section. I just wish I could find another pair like them, again.

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I have a pair of boots called "Tough Riders" that I got at a tack shop. They look somewhat like those L.L. Bean boots, and have velcro tab closures. They are pretty warm unless it gets extremely cold, in which case, I don't ride, anyway. They are not too bulky for the stirrups.

People have also told me that Mountain Horse boots, sold for riding, are also good.

I think the main thing is to allow enough room! Tight boots=cold feet. Also, you can use those little toe-heater thingys that come in a packet & warm up when exposed to air. They do work, but the cost can add up over the winter!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I have a pair of boots called "Tough Riders" that I got at a tack shop. They look somewhat like those L.L. Bean boots, and have velcro tab closures. They are pretty warm unless it gets extremely cold, in which case, I don't ride, anyway. They are not too bulky for the stirrups.

People have also told me that Mountain Horse boots, sold for riding, are also good.

I think the main thing is to allow enough room! Tight boots=cold feet. Also, you can use those little toe-heater thingys that come in a packet & warm up when exposed to air. They do work, but the cost can add up over the winter!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:27:55 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Hubby gave me a pair of insulated bibs made by Berne Apparel for Christmas last year. They're really warm and comfy to ride in. I also have a pair of insulated coveralls that I've had for probably 18 years that I use for chores. I've got to be able to unzip & get air when I get too warm so the bibs with an insulated Carhart jacket works well. I've also worn tights, long johns, jeans & chaps & stayed toasty too! My LJs are thin but warm and don't bunch up.

I have what looks like a hair band but is made for covering ears and fits under my helmet. I can also take out the velcro band in my helmet & wear a thin toboggan under the helmet. I have been known to put the toboggan OVER my helmet. ROFL!!

I wear insulated LL Bean boots and have some of those "toe warmer" packets of stuff that you shake and it heats up. I've not used them in the boots yet but have used the ones for hands & they're great. Someone mentioned to put the toe warmers on top of the foot instead of under it so when I do use them I'll try that. I think the secret to keeping feet warm is to have room in the boot to move your toes some.

I like to wear a thin stretchy glove found at Walmart for about $1/pair under another pair of gloves. I like the 2nd pair gloves to come up over my wrists.

I'm just hoping all those wintery clothes won't be necessary too often!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:27:55 PM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
Hubby gave me a pair of insulated bibs made by Berne Apparel for Christmas last year. They're really warm and comfy to ride in. I also have a pair of insulated coveralls that I've had for probably 18 years that I use for chores. I've got to be able to unzip & get air when I get too warm so the bibs with an insulated Carhart jacket works well. I've also worn tights, long johns, jeans & chaps & stayed toasty too! My LJs are thin but warm and don't bunch up.

I have what looks like a hair band but is made for covering ears and fits under my helmet. I can also take out the velcro band in my helmet & wear a thin toboggan under the helmet. I have been known to put the toboggan OVER my helmet. ROFL!!

I wear insulated LL Bean boots and have some of those "toe warmer" packets of stuff that you shake and it heats up. I've not used them in the boots yet but have used the ones for hands & they're great. Someone mentioned to put the toe warmers on top of the foot instead of under it so when I do use them I'll try that. I think the secret to keeping feet warm is to have room in the boot to move your toes some.

I like to wear a thin stretchy glove found at Walmart for about $1/pair under another pair of gloves. I like the 2nd pair gloves to come up over my wrists.

I'm just hoping all those wintery clothes won't be necessary too often!

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe Paint Gelding
Paoli, IN

"My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sun and neigh in the night."

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:58:06 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Hey Paint; You'll need your winter duds around here, today. We got about an inch or 2 of snow last night and this morning. It's going to be in the teens to low 20's for the better part of this week. They're calling for a high of 19+ on Wednesday. I do believe winter is here in northern IN.

When Donna & I rode SSF a week ago yesterday, I discovered my helmet would fit snuggly over the hood of my hooded sweatshirt. What was nice was the chin strap snugged the hood down right over my ears. If I ride when it's cold enough for my Carhartt jacket, I just might put that hooded sweatshirt on under it so I can wear my helmet and still keep my head & ears warm.

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  12:58:06 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Hey Paint; You'll need your winter duds around here, today. We got about an inch or 2 of snow last night and this morning. It's going to be in the teens to low 20's for the better part of this week. They're calling for a high of 19+ on Wednesday. I do believe winter is here in northern IN.

When Donna & I rode SSF a week ago yesterday, I discovered my helmet would fit snuggly over the hood of my hooded sweatshirt. What was nice was the chin strap snugged the hood down right over my ears. If I ride when it's cold enough for my Carhartt jacket, I just might put that hooded sweatshirt on under it so I can wear my helmet and still keep my head & ears warm.

--Robert Browning

-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Termite
Advanced Rider

369 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  1:08:08 PM  Show Profile Send Termite a Private Message
A pint of Jack Daniel's in your saddlebags will help keep you warm to.
Termite
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000