Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Report on Woody Pet -vs- Shavings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  09:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ttyndale

fork that I purchased specifically for woody pet that is somewhere left at the barn. Someone probably took it so there's $20 out the window.

You aren't in the Christmas spirit yet, are you Troy?? To put a psuedo-Christian spin on it....perhaps someone needed it worse than you....Or perhaps it's sitting right where it was left.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  09:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ttyndale

fork that I purchased specifically for woody pet that is somewhere left at the barn. Someone probably took it so there's $20 out the window.

You aren't in the Christmas spirit yet, are you Troy?? To put a psuedo-Christian spin on it....perhaps someone needed it worse than you....Or perhaps it's sitting right where it was left.

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

dougko
Beginning Rider

76 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  09:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit dougko's Homepage Send dougko a Private Message
We used both pellets and shaving through 2005 and didnít see any real difference in cost of the product, but did find huge reduction in labor with the pellets, stall cleaning was cut in half, and less trips out to the field with the spreader. This could translate into huge savings in labor cost for a boarding or training barn with employees. The draw back is the dust, all of my horses developed a dry cough after using the pellets for the summer, we would dampen the pellets after daily cleaning but it didnít seem to help, when we switch back to shaving cough disappeared almost over night.

Dougko

Why post when you can coast
ride a Tennessee Walking Horses
Go to Top of Page

dougko
Beginning Rider

76 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  09:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit dougko's Homepage Send dougko a Private Message
We used both pellets and shaving through 2005 and didnít see any real difference in cost of the product, but did find huge reduction in labor with the pellets, stall cleaning was cut in half, and less trips out to the field with the spreader. This could translate into huge savings in labor cost for a boarding or training barn with employees. The draw back is the dust, all of my horses developed a dry cough after using the pellets for the summer, we would dampen the pellets after daily cleaning but it didnít seem to help, when we switch back to shaving cough disappeared almost over night.

Dougko

Why post when you can coast
ride a Tennessee Walking Horses
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  10:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
I did have one stall get really dusty (didn't seem to bother the horse, but I wasn't happy with it). I finally totally stripped the stall & started over, & that took care of the problem.

My theory is: because the pelleted products keep the stall dryer, you don't have to strip the stalls as often. BUT...the older material breaks down, over time, to the point that it gets to be overly dusty.

One thing that is apparent from this forum, the pelleted bedding seems to work differently for different people! Why did it freeze into big balls for Saddletramp, and this did not happen to the rest of us? Lots of mysteries here, but, all in all, I really prefer this type of bedding.

EZ2SPOT

Edited by - EZ2SPOT on 12/04/2005 11:52:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  10:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
I did have one stall get really dusty (didn't seem to bother the horse, but I wasn't happy with it). I finally totally stripped the stall & started over, & that took care of the problem.

My theory is: because the pelleted products keep the stall dryer, you don't have to strip the stalls as often. BUT...the older material breaks down, over time, to the point that it gets to be overly dusty.

One thing that is apparent from this forum, the pelleted bedding seems to work differently for different people! Why did it freeze into big balls for Saddletramp, and this did not happen to the rest of us? Lots of mysteries here, but, all in all, I really prefer this type of bedding.

EZ2SPOT

Edited by - EZ2SPOT on 12/04/2005 11:52:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  11:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message
We prefer shavings but use straw for the cost

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Hook
Trail Boss (Moderator)

Canada
6115 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  11:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hook's Homepage Send Hook a Private Message

Hook(ed)......on Horses

"The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life. " Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  2:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I had a mare who could eat an entire stall of straw overnight!!! lol It was never in there long enough to do any good! Silly horse.

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  2:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I had a mare who could eat an entire stall of straw overnight!!! lol It was never in there long enough to do any good! Silly horse.

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  11:19:20 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Dang, I just replied to the above and somehow it got lost in cyberspace.

The idea was, I haven't noticed dust, but it's been higher humidity content in the air. Maybe in summer (since the product is sensitive to moisture) the lack of it on a hot, dry spell, could create dust. As for clumps, all I've noticed were a couple that I thought were maybe 2 apples getting squished together. If that's urine that froze the product, then all the better because it's that much easier to find, lol.

So far after about 8-9 days, however, I'm still liking this stuff.

Where did you find a FINE TINED fork specifically for WP? I'm using a standard plastic fork and it's working well because the WP falls through it so nicely, but there are small pieces of apple that have been broken up that I'd love to be able to get, just to keep things really pristine.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  11:19:20 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Dang, I just replied to the above and somehow it got lost in cyberspace.

The idea was, I haven't noticed dust, but it's been higher humidity content in the air. Maybe in summer (since the product is sensitive to moisture) the lack of it on a hot, dry spell, could create dust. As for clumps, all I've noticed were a couple that I thought were maybe 2 apples getting squished together. If that's urine that froze the product, then all the better because it's that much easier to find, lol.

So far after about 8-9 days, however, I'm still liking this stuff.

Where did you find a FINE TINED fork specifically for WP? I'm using a standard plastic fork and it's working well because the WP falls through it so nicely, but there are small pieces of apple that have been broken up that I'd love to be able to get, just to keep things really pristine.
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  4:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
I used a basket-type fork....like the Wonder fork (or Super Fork) or something and it worked great. You can order just the basket at most places and put it on your own handle. Less pricey this way, and cheaper shipping if it has to be sent to you.
I think that TSC actually carries a Woody Pet fork, or had advertised that they did once upon a time....

And as always....check with Chuck!!

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  4:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
I used a basket-type fork....like the Wonder fork (or Super Fork) or something and it worked great. You can order just the basket at most places and put it on your own handle. Less pricey this way, and cheaper shipping if it has to be sent to you.
I think that TSC actually carries a Woody Pet fork, or had advertised that they did once upon a time....

And as always....check with Chuck!!

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  7:33:07 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
I'm going to have to check out that Chuck's site, stem to stern. We have three supply stores (two tack and one farm supply) nearby, but if I have to order something I'd rather do it through Chuck than otherwise.

I have seen the basket type fork. It kind of looked to me like you'd have to bend it forward far enough so what's in the basket would fall out. If not, it looked like it had some neat features. Will look at one again, either on his site or next time I go to grain store.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  7:33:07 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
I'm going to have to check out that Chuck's site, stem to stern. We have three supply stores (two tack and one farm supply) nearby, but if I have to order something I'd rather do it through Chuck than otherwise.

I have seen the basket type fork. It kind of looked to me like you'd have to bend it forward far enough so what's in the basket would fall out. If not, it looked like it had some neat features. Will look at one again, either on his site or next time I go to grain store.
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  8:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
Sorry, but we don't have any forks online. Dale has some in his store, I believe they are the basket with the forks on the end.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  8:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
Sorry, but we don't have any forks online. Dale has some in his store, I believe they are the basket with the forks on the end.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
OTW- The basket fork DOES take some getting used to...my trainer won't use them. They can be a bit heavier when empty than a traditional composite fork, and they also hold more so they will be heavier when loaded also. I really like mine, and most times use it one-handed. I don't drop nearly as much with the basket (because of the sides) as with the small fork.

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
OTW- The basket fork DOES take some getting used to...my trainer won't use them. They can be a bit heavier when empty than a traditional composite fork, and they also hold more so they will be heavier when loaded also. I really like mine, and most times use it one-handed. I don't drop nearly as much with the basket (because of the sides) as with the small fork.

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  07:13:35 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  07:13:35 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  02:09:04 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Update:

Well, I've had the WP down for a couple of weeks now, and so far so good EXCEPT... today I went out to clean because I didn't this morning (waaaay too cold that early). Lots of chunks. Some of them appeared to be apples covered in WP (they were separated all over the place). But it seemed like there were way more than there'd be likely to be apples. Some of them, when smashed, were what I thought. But some of them are balled up WP. (???) Hard to tell the difference, and the choice is either scrape all of them up and lose a buncha otherwise good WP or painstakingly step on them all, lol, to see if they are just WP.

Also some of them are wide round flat hunks that appear got into hooves, then popped out. Could be snow packs that came loose in the pen, got covered (or absorbed by) WP. Weird, those are frozen little disks. Hard to know what to do with them.

Anyone have any experience with those kinds of things -- the balls of WP or the disks??
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  02:09:04 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Update:

Well, I've had the WP down for a couple of weeks now, and so far so good EXCEPT... today I went out to clean because I didn't this morning (waaaay too cold that early). Lots of chunks. Some of them appeared to be apples covered in WP (they were separated all over the place). But it seemed like there were way more than there'd be likely to be apples. Some of them, when smashed, were what I thought. But some of them are balled up WP. (???) Hard to tell the difference, and the choice is either scrape all of them up and lose a buncha otherwise good WP or painstakingly step on them all, lol, to see if they are just WP.

Also some of them are wide round flat hunks that appear got into hooves, then popped out. Could be snow packs that came loose in the pen, got covered (or absorbed by) WP. Weird, those are frozen little disks. Hard to know what to do with them.

Anyone have any experience with those kinds of things -- the balls of WP or the disks??
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  12:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Thoses aren't what you think they are! WP is not a man made product and those are the little space ships that come back to earth trying to take back their technology. The cold air froze their fuel and left them stranded in Cloud's pen.

Okay the painkillers are affecting my brain but not the pain....now I'm rhyming, I'm really lost now!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000