Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 Grooming and Health
 Report on Woody Pet -vs- Shavings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  06:57:17 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
EZ, I agree. It hasn't been long enough for me to have a great tap on it yet, but everything I see about it, I prefer over shavings BIIIIIGGGG TIME!!!!

HM, your post got lost under the enthusiasm and/or shock of costs. Here's what the grain store guy told me (he has always had horses, currently TBs he's retired, but prior, a fair number of race horses). However, he's a "shavings man" and has very specific ideas about everything so here's what he said and then we have to decide whether he's right or just stubborn.

He said Woody Pet *OR* shavings, not to mix them. Now I have no idea why, but I have a feeling that if your sawdust is moist, you could mix them in with the WP when you put the WP down. On the other hand, if you WP is already into what I call "Stage Two," meaning that they are already broken down from the benefit of having moisture added in ORDER to break them down, that's when you want to stop adding moisture.

The WP, once broken down, I believe, is quite similar to sawdust in some ways. Except the way I remember sawdust, I recall it being a lot finer. Broken down WP has some body to it which is what I like about it. Also not the dust factor that I imagine sawdust would have.

In order to use or try WP, I'd sure see nothing wrong with mixing it with damp sawdust, because voila, there's the moisture it needs. It would definitely suck the moisture out of the sawdust, it's initially like a sponge from how I understand it. But then once it's done, I wouldn't add more damp sawdust to it.

As for volume (a key part of your post) -- I THINK that WP triples in volume, from pellet stage to final expanded stage. The reason is that the bag says that after it's volumized and you now REMOVE wet spots instead of mixing them in, to replace what you've taken out with one third the volume of new WP.

Hope that helps. I have a feeling this stuff is pretty amazing IF it is handled right. And despite its cost, I have a feeling it's going to last a whole lot longer so the relative cost diminishes quite a bit. But over and above that, as EZ says, it sure makes stall mucking a whole lot easier. Like... a TON easier!!! And in my case (and I imagine others as well) a biggie at any time (let alone in snow conditions blocking my manure pile access) -- the lessened volume that gets thrown out is going to be worth its weight in gold.

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  11:05:01 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

I get about 36 bags of shavings for around $120 including delivery to my barn. A bag will easily bed a 10 x 14 foot stall (That's the measurements for my stalls). Since my horses are out as much as weather will allow, this will last me darn near a year... maybe 9 months or so with 2 horses.

I'm having a heart attack reading both ends of this spectrum. RH, what size bags are these where one will easily bed a 10x14 ft. stall? That's 140 sq. ft. Bedding my 11 x 11 stall and 12 x 19 indoor pen, I've gone through 9 bags of shavings in about a month. The stall (which she doesn't use that much) is still "okay" but the indoor pen was toast and getting bad. That's where I went to the Woody Pet for.

Sheeeesh!

LOL!!! I get wood shavings from a guy that has a contract to get them from where my husband Steve works. It's mostly bass wood and very fluffy... not sawdust. They're delivered in trash bags and when full stand about 3 1/2 feet tall and are about 2 to 3 feet in diameter. They aren't packed hard like bagged shavings you'd get at TSC and other places. Actually, the bags I get feel more like after you have filled up a leaf bag after raking your yard. I've long lost track of how much I'm charged per bag without the delivery charge, but I think it's around $4.25 a bag... and like I said; my horses are out as much as they can be barring bad weather.

Also, I can't use straw to bed Dove. He has heaves and straw & hay are big no-no's for him. And before anyone asks, I feed him Golden Pride from Kent feeds. It's a complete feed that has everything already in it including the hay. But since I still feed Terra hay, I have to bring her in at feeding time so Dove doesn't get her hay. So, most of the time, Dove doesn't need a bedded stall but Terra does.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 12/01/2005 11:11:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  11:05:01 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by OnTheWay

quote:
Originally posted by Red Hawk

I get about 36 bags of shavings for around $120 including delivery to my barn. A bag will easily bed a 10 x 14 foot stall (That's the measurements for my stalls). Since my horses are out as much as weather will allow, this will last me darn near a year... maybe 9 months or so with 2 horses.

I'm having a heart attack reading both ends of this spectrum. RH, what size bags are these where one will easily bed a 10x14 ft. stall? That's 140 sq. ft. Bedding my 11 x 11 stall and 12 x 19 indoor pen, I've gone through 9 bags of shavings in about a month. The stall (which she doesn't use that much) is still "okay" but the indoor pen was toast and getting bad. That's where I went to the Woody Pet for.

Sheeeesh!

LOL!!! I get wood shavings from a guy that has a contract to get them from where my husband Steve works. It's mostly bass wood and very fluffy... not sawdust. They're delivered in trash bags and when full stand about 3 1/2 feet tall and are about 2 to 3 feet in diameter. They aren't packed hard like bagged shavings you'd get at TSC and other places. Actually, the bags I get feel more like after you have filled up a leaf bag after raking your yard. I've long lost track of how much I'm charged per bag without the delivery charge, but I think it's around $4.25 a bag... and like I said; my horses are out as much as they can be barring bad weather.

Also, I can't use straw to bed Dove. He has heaves and straw & hay are big no-no's for him. And before anyone asks, I feed him Golden Pride from Kent feeds. It's a complete feed that has everything already in it including the hay. But since I still feed Terra hay, I have to bring her in at feeding time so Dove doesn't get her hay. So, most of the time, Dove doesn't need a bedded stall but Terra does.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown

Edited by - Red Hawk on 12/01/2005 11:11:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  12:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Me...New York City???? Get a rope!!! OTW, live in Southern Cal...costs probably worse!! $120/month is conservative figure...summer costs. Worse in winter...and I am only doing 2 stalls 12x16 and a small outdoor area for the pony! Since they all think shavings= "the loo" I am semi chincy too! 10 cubic feet is 6.95+ tax. And they are not gold plated

I remember finding a supplier, had to take a few pallets so think was 100+ bags and thinking big$$$...I should probably reconsider it. Storage would be an issue though..had a $3.95/bag deal from neighbor but they weren't compacted, full of fine dust and figured health and $ wise was the same for higher quality. I may have to do some checking...though neighbors pretty much in the same boat here.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  12:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Me...New York City???? Get a rope!!! OTW, live in Southern Cal...costs probably worse!! $120/month is conservative figure...summer costs. Worse in winter...and I am only doing 2 stalls 12x16 and a small outdoor area for the pony! Since they all think shavings= "the loo" I am semi chincy too! 10 cubic feet is 6.95+ tax. And they are not gold plated

I remember finding a supplier, had to take a few pallets so think was 100+ bags and thinking big$$$...I should probably reconsider it. Storage would be an issue though..had a $3.95/bag deal from neighbor but they weren't compacted, full of fine dust and figured health and $ wise was the same for higher quality. I may have to do some checking...though neighbors pretty much in the same boat here.
Go to Top of Page

ttyndale
Trainer

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  3:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit ttyndale's Homepage Send ttyndale a Private Message
This is good stuff but you "guys" got to narrow the long post down. I am getting a headache trying to read all of it. :)
Go to Top of Page

ttyndale
Trainer

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  3:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit ttyndale's Homepage Send ttyndale a Private Message
This is good stuff but you "guys" got to narrow the long post down. I am getting a headache trying to read all of it. :)
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  10:06:10 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

Bones, I'm from So. California and at this time of year (actually the cold starts dropping tomorrow) I'm missing the weather!!! New Hampshire is a definite difference!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  10:06:10 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by fracturedbones

Bones, I'm from So. California and at this time of year (actually the cold starts dropping tomorrow) I'm missing the weather!!! New Hampshire is a definite difference!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  10:09:14 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ttyndale

tt, yer right. I'm a guilty one. Sometimes we just gotta go into detail, but this thread... what can I say, I got carried away with trivia.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  10:09:14 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ttyndale

tt, yer right. I'm a guilty one. Sometimes we just gotta go into detail, but this thread... what can I say, I got carried away with trivia.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  1:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
OTW...got mixed up. Are you in Acton? Was wondering where you get shavings, etc. There are some dealers in Temecula...but trucking from there heavy gas/time costs probably added...not to mention freeway chases and car hijackers on the 15..probably make the costs go up to equal local charges?

Always keeping ears open for better pricing....
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  1:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
OTW...got mixed up. Are you in Acton? Was wondering where you get shavings, etc. There are some dealers in Temecula...but trucking from there heavy gas/time costs probably added...not to mention freeway chases and car hijackers on the 15..probably make the costs go up to equal local charges?

Always keeping ears open for better pricing....
Go to Top of Page

Mudder
Advanced Rider

296 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  12:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudder's Homepage Send Mudder a Private Message
I pay 3 dollars a bag for shavings. We have a shavings plant here in my town. I get the large shavings not the saw dust kind. I don't really go thru a lot of shavings tho. I find it easy to clean out the manure and the urine spots. The urine spots come out in clumps. However, I'm thinking it might be easier for me, because my barn is not heated. Do you think a heated vrs non heated barn determines how much bedding you use?
Go to Top of Page

Mudder
Advanced Rider

296 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  12:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudder's Homepage Send Mudder a Private Message
I pay 3 dollars a bag for shavings. We have a shavings plant here in my town. I get the large shavings not the saw dust kind. I don't really go thru a lot of shavings tho. I find it easy to clean out the manure and the urine spots. The urine spots come out in clumps. However, I'm thinking it might be easier for me, because my barn is not heated. Do you think a heated vrs non heated barn determines how much bedding you use?
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  3:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Speaking of heated vs. non-heated barns.....had one drawback, besides the price, to the WP that I had trouble with when my boarder used. In severely cold weather, it would clump up, or freeze up something fierce! So bad that I worried about the horse moving around in the stall! There were huge balls/clumps (about half the size of a bowling ball and up) of WP all over the stall, you'd about twist you ankle walking in the stuff. Two of us would take heavy shovels and beat the clumps into submission, but it's definitely not something that I've experienced with shavings. I have also never heard of anyone else having this problem, so no idea what the reason was, but I blame the terribly cold weather, and the already-moistened WP.....maybe the horse had a unique way of moving the WP around while it was freezing, like building a snowman. ????

(Was that short enough for you Troy???)

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"

Edited by - Saddletramp on 12/03/2005 3:03:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  3:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
Speaking of heated vs. non-heated barns.....had one drawback, besides the price, to the WP that I had trouble with when my boarder used. In severely cold weather, it would clump up, or freeze up something fierce! So bad that I worried about the horse moving around in the stall! There were huge balls/clumps (about half the size of a bowling ball and up) of WP all over the stall, you'd about twist you ankle walking in the stuff. Two of us would take heavy shovels and beat the clumps into submission, but it's definitely not something that I've experienced with shavings. I have also never heard of anyone else having this problem, so no idea what the reason was, but I blame the terribly cold weather, and the already-moistened WP.....maybe the horse had a unique way of moving the WP around while it was freezing, like building a snowman. ????

(Was that short enough for you Troy???)

-Saddletramp

Edited by - Saddletramp on 12/03/2005 3:03:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mudder
Advanced Rider

296 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  5:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudder's Homepage Send Mudder a Private Message
I find with the shavings that the wet spots stays pancake like. Doesn't ball up at all. Can't you just see those horses rolling that around? tee hee.
Go to Top of Page

Mudder
Advanced Rider

296 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  5:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudder's Homepage Send Mudder a Private Message
I find with the shavings that the wet spots stays pancake like. Doesn't ball up at all. Can't you just see those horses rolling that around? tee hee.
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  5:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
And who doesn't like lifting those *wonderful* FROZEN pancakes out of the stall??!!! Gosh, I LOVE winter! <teasing> At least the "apples" are frozen solid and they are easier to sift!! (Okay, I've put waaayyyy to much thought into this!)

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  5:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
And who doesn't like lifting those *wonderful* FROZEN pancakes out of the stall??!!! Gosh, I LOVE winter! <teasing> At least the "apples" are frozen solid and they are easier to sift!! (Okay, I've put waaayyyy to much thought into this!)

-Saddletramp

Go to Top of Page

ttyndale
Trainer

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  8:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit ttyndale's Homepage Send ttyndale a Private Message
We had a post about this product a while back.
I meant to mention that I like the woody pet also, fact is that I don't do self board presently so I don't have to worry about bedding anymore. I kind of miss scooping the poop and keeping stall clean cause it made me feel more connected with my horse (go figure that one.) :)

I was really impressed with the results of this woody pet and will use this product when I have to clean my own stall again. Which reminds me that I have a fine tine woody pet pitch fork that I purchased specifically for woody pet that is somewhere left at the barn. Someone probably took it so there's $20 out the window. :)
Go to Top of Page

ttyndale
Trainer

USA
744 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  8:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit ttyndale's Homepage Send ttyndale a Private Message
We had a post about this product a while back.
I meant to mention that I like the woody pet also, fact is that I don't do self board presently so I don't have to worry about bedding anymore. I kind of miss scooping the poop and keeping stall clean cause it made me feel more connected with my horse (go figure that one.) :)

I was really impressed with the results of this woody pet and will use this product when I have to clean my own stall again. Which reminds me that I have a fine tine woody pet pitch fork that I purchased specifically for woody pet that is somewhere left at the barn. Someone probably took it so there's $20 out the window. :)
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  9:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Ha when its cold enough to freeze the horse apples that saves you on wear on your pitch fork because you can just toss them out the door. If someone just happens to be walking past...well that helps you aim at the door so it doesn't miss and bounce back to hit you.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  9:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Ha when its cold enough to freeze the horse apples that saves you on wear on your pitch fork because you can just toss them out the door. If someone just happens to be walking past...well that helps you aim at the door so it doesn't miss and bounce back to hit you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000