Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Tack Questions and Comments
 Mecate Reins
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  10:10:35 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Okay, first I want to thank everyone for being so generous with answering my questions. Please let me know if I ask too many!! Here is one regarding Mecate Reins.

What are they used for and how do they work??? I see you have a long rope attached to one side of the bit (via slobber straps), then that goes around the horse's neck to form your rein, and it ties to the other slobber strap at the bit. Then it is either looped or ?? so that it continues, now, up to your saddle horn where it is looped.

I assume that this longer looped length of rope must be used for leading? If so, you are leading by the bit, yes? So is leading by the bit a problem (seems to be) and if so, what is that problem? And if it's a problem, then what the heck else do you use that long length of rope for?

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  09:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
I found Mecate reins to be too much of a hassle, and quit using them...

However, to answer your question, yes, the long length of rope is used for both leading and tying. And, think about it, even with regular reins, there are probably many times that you do "lead by the bit", as you are calling it. For example, after I've saddled and bridled my horse, I lead her out of the barn by the bridle reins to the mounting block. I do not lead her out there with a halter & rope, get on, and then somehow bridle her from upon her back. There might be some people who could do this, but I've never seen it done!

So, with Mecate reins, you would use the long rope to, for example, lead your horse out of the barn, instead of the loop that forms the reins.

You CAN tie (and lead, if for a distance or the horse is acting up) a horse with Mecate reins in a way that puts NO pressure on the bit. It involves looping the rein around the horse's neck twice and using the "long length of rope" to create a half-hitch knot. Believe I have mentioned this before, but the process is illustrated in Parelli's book, Natural Horse-Man-Ship, on pages 144-145 (in the older copy I have, anyway; might be on different pages in the later reprints). Think it is also shown in some of his tapes, but I don't currently have any.

Again, my feeling is that Mecate reins are a pain, and I'd just as soon keep a halter and lead with me, instead. Have to admit they do look very "cowboy", though!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  09:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
I found Mecate reins to be too much of a hassle, and quit using them...

However, to answer your question, yes, the long length of rope is used for both leading and tying. And, think about it, even with regular reins, there are probably many times that you do "lead by the bit", as you are calling it. For example, after I've saddled and bridled my horse, I lead her out of the barn by the bridle reins to the mounting block. I do not lead her out there with a halter & rope, get on, and then somehow bridle her from upon her back. There might be some people who could do this, but I've never seen it done!

So, with Mecate reins, you would use the long rope to, for example, lead your horse out of the barn, instead of the loop that forms the reins.

You CAN tie (and lead, if for a distance or the horse is acting up) a horse with Mecate reins in a way that puts NO pressure on the bit. It involves looping the rein around the horse's neck twice and using the "long length of rope" to create a half-hitch knot. Believe I have mentioned this before, but the process is illustrated in Parelli's book, Natural Horse-Man-Ship, on pages 144-145 (in the older copy I have, anyway; might be on different pages in the later reprints). Think it is also shown in some of his tapes, but I don't currently have any.

Again, my feeling is that Mecate reins are a pain, and I'd just as soon keep a halter and lead with me, instead. Have to admit they do look very "cowboy", though!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  09:44:38 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
LOL, yeah, they do look "cowboy." Kinda neat, actually. I don't have Parelli's book, but I'd like to see how the lead line is rigged up just to know. Now that I have the rope halter, it actually makes sense to just carry a lead rope if leading (from afar) is called for. Sounds like that would work just as well.

Have you found Parelli's book to be one worth having just for general things? I'd have to order it, my local B&N doesn't have it in stock to look at unfortunately. I've heard of many (this one included) and can't afford to buy them all, but if one stands out I'd like to know about it.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  09:44:38 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
LOL, yeah, they do look "cowboy." Kinda neat, actually. I don't have Parelli's book, but I'd like to see how the lead line is rigged up just to know. Now that I have the rope halter, it actually makes sense to just carry a lead rope if leading (from afar) is called for. Sounds like that would work just as well.

Have you found Parelli's book to be one worth having just for general things? I'd have to order it, my local B&N doesn't have it in stock to look at unfortunately. I've heard of many (this one included) and can't afford to buy them all, but if one stands out I'd like to know about it.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  10:05:40 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
You might want to look at "Lyons on Horses" by John Lyons, too. Lots of good info in there from the beginner to the experienced horse person. He has an excellent section on how to train a horse to load in a trailer. It will also work for retraining a horse that's hard to load. It covers a wide selection of general horse training, and I've found it a very useful reference.

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  10:05:40 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
You might want to look at "Lyons on Horses" by John Lyons, too. Lots of good info in there from the beginner to the experienced horse person. He has an excellent section on how to train a horse to load in a trailer. It will also work for retraining a horse that's hard to load. It covers a wide selection of general horse training, and I've found it a very useful reference.

--Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  7:39:51 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Thanks RH. I'm going to check with a larger town's library to see if I can find some of these books to look through before buying. A lot of them run $30 each, and it wouldn't take more than a couple to start racking up a big expense. Just recently bought "Centered Riding" (Swift) and "Cross Training Your Horse" which is a dressage approach that fits all other disciplines also. Oh, for a good horsie library!!!
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  7:39:51 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Thanks RH. I'm going to check with a larger town's library to see if I can find some of these books to look through before buying. A lot of them run $30 each, and it wouldn't take more than a couple to start racking up a big expense. Just recently bought "Centered Riding" (Swift) and "Cross Training Your Horse" which is a dressage approach that fits all other disciplines also. Oh, for a good horsie library!!!
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  8:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Parelli's book is a large paperback; I've had mine for around 10 years, and still use it for reference occasionally. It is available through Western Horseman, for less than $20, I think.

As RH says, Lyons on horses is also good (have that one, too).

Great that you have Centered Riding; I am currently reading Centered Riding 2, though I haven't put any of it into practice yet.

Ended up with so many horse books, that I took lots of them to a sale about 2 years ago! It doesn't take long to amass quite a collection!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  8:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Parelli's book is a large paperback; I've had mine for around 10 years, and still use it for reference occasionally. It is available through Western Horseman, for less than $20, I think.

As RH says, Lyons on horses is also good (have that one, too).

Great that you have Centered Riding; I am currently reading Centered Riding 2, though I haven't put any of it into practice yet.

Ended up with so many horse books, that I took lots of them to a sale about 2 years ago! It doesn't take long to amass quite a collection!

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  10:54:29 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
EZ, Arrrrrgh! If you have anymore that you're going to "take to a sale," <jumping up and down, waving arms in air>

It's too bad we don't have a "Classified" folder on this forum. I bet there are things some people have and don't use that other people are looking for. :-(
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  10:54:29 PM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
EZ, Arrrrrgh! If you have anymore that you're going to "take to a sale," <jumping up and down, waving arms in air>

It's too bad we don't have a "Classified" folder on this forum. I bet there are things some people have and don't use that other people are looking for. :-(
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  06:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Chuck actually does have a classified section for horse items for sale, but don't think he had it at the time! I have cut way down on buying books, but if I do want to get rid of any in the future, I will definitely let you know! I think I sold the whole John Lyons Perfect Horse series for something like $14, and the books had cost me around $20 each.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

EZ2SPOT
Clinician

USA
3785 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  06:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit EZ2SPOT's Homepage Send EZ2SPOT a Private Message
Chuck actually does have a classified section for horse items for sale, but don't think he had it at the time! I have cut way down on buying books, but if I do want to get rid of any in the future, I will definitely let you know! I think I sold the whole John Lyons Perfect Horse series for something like $14, and the books had cost me around $20 each.

EZ2SPOT
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by EZ2SPOT

EZ2SPOT

Thanks. I didn't see any classifieds on this board, but maybe they'll come back. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by EZ2SPOT

EZ2SPOT

Thanks. I didn't see any classifieds on this board, but maybe they'll come back. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
quote:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "FREE Equine Related Classifieds" There is also a banner that rotates occasionally that advertises the free classifieds.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:11:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
quote:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "FREE Equine Related Classifieds" There is also a banner that rotates occasionally that advertises the free classifieds.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:15:47 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Believe it or not, I have the "Centered Riding" book by Sally Swift, and couldn't get into it at all. I'm not the type for all that visualization stuff. I'm more the step-by-step straight forward type instruction. "Centered Riding" has sat on my book shelf for several years, now, untouched. It's not that it isn't a good book but rather it just didn't work for me as it might for someone else.

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:15:47 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Believe it or not, I have the "Centered Riding" book by Sally Swift, and couldn't get into it at all. I'm not the type for all that visualization stuff. I'm more the step-by-step straight forward type instruction. "Centered Riding" has sat on my book shelf for several years, now, untouched. It's not that it isn't a good book but rather it just didn't work for me as it might for someone else.

--Robert Browning

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.
-- Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Hawk

Don't feel bad about it. Everyone(and every horse) learns differently. If that wasn't true we wouldn't have nearly as many texts, videos and big name trainers as we do. It isn't so much that one style is better then the others but that each style fits a different horse/rider learning style.
Go to Top of Page

Stormie
Clinician

1630 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  11:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stormie's Homepage Send Stormie a Private Message
Hawk

Don't feel bad about it. Everyone(and every horse) learns differently. If that wasn't true we wouldn't have nearly as many texts, videos and big name trainers as we do. It isn't so much that one style is better then the others but that each style fits a different horse/rider learning style.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  07:46:40 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Amen Stormie/Redhawk -- I haven't had the time to really get into Centered Riding. Also bought Cross Train Your Horse (Savoie) so can't evaluate either yet, but the visuals of a video penetrate my brain better. And people on this board have been extremely helpful because you can ask questions where something is escaping you.
Go to Top of Page

OnTheWay
Clinician

1433 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  07:46:40 AM  Show Profile Send OnTheWay a Private Message
Amen Stormie/Redhawk -- I haven't had the time to really get into Centered Riding. Also bought Cross Train Your Horse (Savoie) so can't evaluate either yet, but the visuals of a video penetrate my brain better. And people on this board have been extremely helpful because you can ask questions where something is escaping you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000