Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussions
 General Information
 Why is she doing this?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trottinonby
Tenderfoot

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  9:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit trottinonby's Homepage Send trottinonby a Private Message
I just recently purchased my first horse. We bought her from a person who we trust and know personally. She is a 12 year old, Quarter Horse mare. I have had her for a little over a week. For the first week she was really good, no problems. She would follow me around the pen like a dog. However yesterday I was picking out her hooves and she tried bite me on the back, although it only turned out to be a scrape. Then she bolted off and by the time she came in reach to punish my three seconds were up, however I did smack her on the shoulder anyways, because I was so angry. Wish I didn't do that. I had ran out clutching my back. It only took her five seconds to come back since she came back before I got back into the pen. So I don't know if it was play or not. Then today I was just out there petting her when she tried to air bite me, so I smacked her and yelled within the three seconds. Every time she was disiplined I would go back in and pet her a few times. She also had one day in particular where she was chewing wood, for some reason or another. I would assume this was because she didn't have any pasture since when she went out to pasture she quit. I thought I heard somewhere that they could bite or be teething (or something like that) after chewing wood. After about thrity minutes it started thundering out, so could have that made a difference in her behavior? Although I doubt that. She has been putting her ears back for, as far as I can tell, no apparent reason. Could she be in heat? Did her air bite have anything to do with my smacking her late the day before? Thanks in advance.

Charlies mom
Beginning Rider

67 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  12:06:06 AM  Show Profile Send Charlies mom a Private Message
Your new mare may be trying to be the alfa mare over YOU! Id make sure you have a halter and lead on her when working around her so you can swiftly stop her behavior. Lyons says the only time he really gets MEAN is when a horse bites. Make her think you are out for blood. Also teaching her your safe zone/space will help and keep you safe. I have a gelding that pins his ears when I feed, and has for years but Ive taught him Im in control, and he must wait til I say its ok and his ears go up before he gets to chow down. Lots of ground work I think helps too. I follow Clint Anderson alot and like his ground work lessons to help teach respect. Good luck and keep me posted (You can pull C. Anderson up on line and he also has alot of stuff on RFD) Im interested on how it turns out.
Go to Top of Page

Charlies mom
Beginning Rider

67 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  12:06:06 AM  Show Profile Send Charlies mom a Private Message
Your new mare may be trying to be the alfa mare over YOU! Id make sure you have a halter and lead on her when working around her so you can swiftly stop her behavior. Lyons says the only time he really gets MEAN is when a horse bites. Make her think you are out for blood. Also teaching her your safe zone/space will help and keep you safe. I have a gelding that pins his ears when I feed, and has for years but Ive taught him Im in control, and he must wait til I say its ok and his ears go up before he gets to chow down. Lots of ground work I think helps too. I follow Clint Anderson alot and like his ground work lessons to help teach respect. Good luck and keep me posted (You can pull C. Anderson up on line and he also has alot of stuff on RFD) Im interested on how it turns out.
Go to Top of Page

galadriel
Beginning Rider

53 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  01:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit galadriel's Homepage Send galadriel a Private Message
Doooon't smack a horse for biting, not a smack. There is a horse game where one horse bites, and the other horse bites back. If a horse bites at you, and you smack him, you are *playing the game*.

If you are going to correct a horse for biting, make absolutely sure that he knows it's a correction. Even better, be totally "unaware" of the bite, and let him punish *himself*: stick your elbow out so he runs his nose into it, or otherwise let him smack himself into things. Cherry Hill has a couple of good articles about biting:
http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_behavior/biting.htm
http://www.horsekeeping.com/Horse_Newsletter/October_2000.htm#biting
Go to Top of Page

galadriel
Beginning Rider

53 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  01:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit galadriel's Homepage Send galadriel a Private Message
Doooon't smack a horse for biting, not a smack. There is a horse game where one horse bites, and the other horse bites back. If a horse bites at you, and you smack him, you are *playing the game*.

If you are going to correct a horse for biting, make absolutely sure that he knows it's a correction. Even better, be totally "unaware" of the bite, and let him punish *himself*: stick your elbow out so he runs his nose into it, or otherwise let him smack himself into things. Cherry Hill has a couple of good articles about biting:
http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_behavior/biting.htm
http://www.horsekeeping.com/Horse_Newsletter/October_2000.htm#biting
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  08:29:35 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I think there's a period when a new horse will try to test an owner. You're probably handling her differently than her previous owner did.... maybe giving her treats, petting her, loving on her, perhaps just not as confident around her and she's reacting. It could also be that she's coming in heat.

Stop petting her & "googooing" over her if you have been. Act with confidence around her. Make her stay out of your space unless you invite her in. Tie her if you're cleaning her hooves.

Are you doing anything differently than her original owner as far as feed & exercise?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe 6 y/o Paint
Paoli, IN USA

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  08:29:35 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
I think there's a period when a new horse will try to test an owner. You're probably handling her differently than her previous owner did.... maybe giving her treats, petting her, loving on her, perhaps just not as confident around her and she's reacting. It could also be that she's coming in heat.

Stop petting her & "googooing" over her if you have been. Act with confidence around her. Make her stay out of your space unless you invite her in. Tie her if you're cleaning her hooves.

Are you doing anything differently than her original owner as far as feed & exercise?

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe 6 y/o Paint
Paoli, IN USA

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

trottinonby
Tenderfoot

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  8:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit trottinonby's Homepage Send trottinonby a Private Message
Yes. I am doing things much different than the other owner, at least for the past two and a half months. During that period she was just out on pasture with no exercise at all, so she is out of shape. Now she is getting a pound of grain at night and four flakes of orchard grass hay. The person who I bought it from told me to do this. As for exercise I have been riding her as much as I can. Only three days in a row (not including her time to get used to the place) she was not riden and the day she had bitten me was the second day I didn't ride her, if that is even relevant. On the third day she tried to air bite me. The first two days I was sick and the third I ran out of time by the time I was finished with everything. Usually I will warm her up for a few minutes and for 1-2 hours I will do walking and trotting on and off. It may be possible that I am treating her differently, all I know is that the owner would "baby" her, however had confidence at the same time, if that makes any sense. Although I didn't pay too much attention to how he handled her other than he did it all with confidence. I do go out and pet her a lot so it sounds like I need to stop doing that. Also thank you for the links I will deffinately read them and try some of the techniques (I wanted to replay first). I will also look up Clint Anderson and John Lyon. I'll try some of their techniques as well. I will be keeping a lead on her when working around her. I had talked to the person who we bought it from (she does the whole horse commission thing) and she told me to smack her on the nose but I would prefer not to. Since it would seem to make a game out of it since I don't like to smack my animals. This is all very new to me. Thank you for your replies.
Go to Top of Page

trottinonby
Tenderfoot

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  8:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit trottinonby's Homepage Send trottinonby a Private Message
Yes. I am doing things much different than the other owner, at least for the past two and a half months. During that period she was just out on pasture with no exercise at all, so she is out of shape. Now she is getting a pound of grain at night and four flakes of orchard grass hay. The person who I bought it from told me to do this. As for exercise I have been riding her as much as I can. Only three days in a row (not including her time to get used to the place) she was not riden and the day she had bitten me was the second day I didn't ride her, if that is even relevant. On the third day she tried to air bite me. The first two days I was sick and the third I ran out of time by the time I was finished with everything. Usually I will warm her up for a few minutes and for 1-2 hours I will do walking and trotting on and off. It may be possible that I am treating her differently, all I know is that the owner would "baby" her, however had confidence at the same time, if that makes any sense. Although I didn't pay too much attention to how he handled her other than he did it all with confidence. I do go out and pet her a lot so it sounds like I need to stop doing that. Also thank you for the links I will deffinately read them and try some of the techniques (I wanted to replay first). I will also look up Clint Anderson and John Lyon. I'll try some of their techniques as well. I will be keeping a lead on her when working around her. I had talked to the person who we bought it from (she does the whole horse commission thing) and she told me to smack her on the nose but I would prefer not to. Since it would seem to make a game out of it since I don't like to smack my animals. This is all very new to me. Thank you for your replies.
Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  8:14:47 PM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message
This is what happened to some of the horses I first met.
What they are doing is challenging you, She knows that you don't really know what to do or prevent whatever she does to you and she will get away with it.Yes she is trying to be the Alhpa of you.
You should be the one in charge not the other way around.
When I had this problem I usually kept a stick near me to flash around when she was getting into my space. Before hand I was thinking if I should wear these cacti pants so when she tried to bite it would bite back LOL.So what I did is made friends with her by ingnoring bad behavoir and rewarding good.Or I would flash her the stick.We got along really well after I had started the Parelli Natural Horse.Man.Ship program.She was a problem horse and the ground games from level one in the program got us off at a great start and now shes like a perfect angel for ground manners/grooming.
I can now go right up to her ( without a halter on or her eating anything and pick her hooves right there and she won't travel anywhere!

*if theres no horses in heaven then i ain't goin!*

Golf courses are just a waste of good pastureland!

you can lead a horse to water,but if you can make him float on his back then you;ve got something!

i'd rather be riding

i whisper,but my horse doesn't listen!

Go to Top of Page

Horsecrazygirl
Clinician

USA
2132 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  8:14:47 PM  Show Profile Send Horsecrazygirl a Private Message
This is what happened to some of the horses I first met.
What they are doing is challenging you, She knows that you don't really know what to do or prevent whatever she does to you and she will get away with it.Yes she is trying to be the Alhpa of you.
You should be the one in charge not the other way around.
When I had this problem I usually kept a stick near me to flash around when she was getting into my space. Before hand I was thinking if I should wear these cacti pants so when she tried to bite it would bite back LOL.So what I did is made friends with her by ingnoring bad behavoir and rewarding good.Or I would flash her the stick.We got along really well after I had started the Parelli Natural Horse.Man.Ship program.She was a problem horse and the ground games from level one in the program got us off at a great start and now shes like a perfect angel for ground manners/grooming.
I can now go right up to her ( without a halter on or her eating anything and pick her hooves right there and she won't travel anywhere!

*if theres no horses in heaven then i ain't goin!*

Golf courses are just a waste of good pastureland!

you can lead a horse to water,but if you can make him float on his back then you;ve got something!

i'd rather be riding

i whisper,but my horse doesn't listen!

Go to Top of Page

trottinonby
Tenderfoot

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  10:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit trottinonby's Homepage Send trottinonby a Private Message
Just as an update. She hasn't tried anything since the time she tried to air bite me. Actually, now she is doing better at riding, since she's pretty much stopped testing me as far as riding goes. So everything has been working out. Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it!
Go to Top of Page

trottinonby
Tenderfoot

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  10:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit trottinonby's Homepage Send trottinonby a Private Message
Just as an update. She hasn't tried anything since the time she tried to air bite me. Actually, now she is doing better at riding, since she's pretty much stopped testing me as far as riding goes. So everything has been working out. Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000