Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Caring and Owning Horses
 The Beginning Rider
 Lesson Prices in Your Area?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

laskiblue
Tenderfoot

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  1:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit laskiblue's Homepage Send laskiblue a Private Message
I am curious as to what prices are for riding lessons in different areas. I have seen quite a range of prices here in southern California and want to get an idea of the "going rate" as a whole.

Thanks,

Laskiblue

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  2:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Laskiblue
In S. Cal too, varies depending on economic area, if show type barn, private or group, exp. of instructor. Group western range my area $25-40 depending on how many in group. Private (1-2 people) $40-60 (per lesson). Dressage even pricier esp. at upper levels. Lessons usually 45 mintues.
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  2:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Laskiblue
In S. Cal too, varies depending on economic area, if show type barn, private or group, exp. of instructor. Group western range my area $25-40 depending on how many in group. Private (1-2 people) $40-60 (per lesson). Dressage even pricier esp. at upper levels. Lessons usually 45 mintues.
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  11:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
Same here in western NY. $25 - $45 per lesson, some are an hour, some 30 minutes. Most places offer a "family" discount, or offer monthly or "package" deals for paying for a group of lessons in advance. There is one place around here that I believe is $60/hour (private lessons).
Go to Top of Page

elizNY
Beginning Rider

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  11:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit elizNY's Homepage Send elizNY a Private Message
Same here in western NY. $25 - $45 per lesson, some are an hour, some 30 minutes. Most places offer a "family" discount, or offer monthly or "package" deals for paying for a group of lessons in advance. There is one place around here that I believe is $60/hour (private lessons).
Go to Top of Page

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  07:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
In Burlington, KY I pay $20 for a one hour group lesson. First half hour is grooming, tacking etc, second half hour is riding. Sounds like it's a bargain!

Same price whether it's your horse or a school horse.

Bud
Go to Top of Page

Budman
Advanced Rider

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  07:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Budman's Homepage Send Budman a Private Message
In Burlington, KY I pay $20 for a one hour group lesson. First half hour is grooming, tacking etc, second half hour is riding. Sounds like it's a bargain!

Same price whether it's your horse or a school horse.

Bud
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  10:50:38 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
The only price I have in southern Indiana is $20/hour for group lessons and $35/hour for private.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe 6 y/o Paint
Paoli, IN USA

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

PaintGal
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
5300 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  10:50:38 AM  Show Profile Send PaintGal a Private Message
The only price I have in southern Indiana is $20/hour for group lessons and $35/hour for private.

Karen ~ Trails
&
Joe 6 y/o Paint
Paoli, IN USA

~~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  1:47:44 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Looks like I ought to start raising my prices .
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  1:47:44 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
Looks like I ought to start raising my prices .
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  6:12:37 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Here in NH, I currently pay $55 an hour for a private with an advanced instructor. In the past, I've paid as little as $40/hour for a high school kid, as much as $75/hour for a grand prix rider/instructor. This is using my own horse and basically you tack up as fast as possible to get as much ride time as you can in an hour. Group lessons aren't alot less and haven't been worth it in my experience.
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  6:12:37 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
Here in NH, I currently pay $55 an hour for a private with an advanced instructor. In the past, I've paid as little as $40/hour for a high school kid, as much as $75/hour for a grand prix rider/instructor. This is using my own horse and basically you tack up as fast as possible to get as much ride time as you can in an hour. Group lessons aren't alot less and haven't been worth it in my experience.
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  8:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sbower

This is using my own horse and basically you tack up as fast as possible to get as much ride time as you can in an hour.

If you got there a bit earlier and tacked up, you could be warming up and waiting for the instructor instead of the other way around, and NOT cutting into lesson time...or am I misunderstanding? I know that instuctors may not always be on time for a lesson, but it would bug me to give up lesson time if I didn't have to.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"

~~~~~~

When you work here, you can name your own salary. I named mine, "Louie".

~~~~~~

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  8:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sbower

This is using my own horse and basically you tack up as fast as possible to get as much ride time as you can in an hour.

If you got there a bit earlier and tacked up, you could be warming up and waiting for the instructor instead of the other way around, and NOT cutting into lesson time...or am I misunderstanding? I know that instuctors may not always be on time for a lesson, but it would bug me to give up lesson time if I didn't have to.

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"

~~~~~~

When you work here, you can name your own salary. I named mine, "Louie".

~~~~~~

Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  8:57:46 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
The instructors always seem take a break between lessons so I think you'd end up starting the lesson at a quarter past anyway. Especially in the winter when the instructor need to warm up between lessons. It just seems to be accepted practice that the tacking up is part of the lesson time. Maybe because the lessons are typically scheduled one right after another. Funny, I never really thought about it. The few times when I've shown up early and the lesson has started early, the lesson has also ended early!! Guess it's just the accepted practice. It's certainly been the case at more than one barn I've taken lessons at around here. At one barn, my daughter was taking group lessons and the other girl was SO SLOW at tacking up, my daughter would be sitting around and waiting. The kids weren't allowed to tack up without supervision and they required all legs to be wrapped, took forever....Used to burn me. We stopped that really fast and switched over to private.
Go to Top of Page

sbower
Clinician

1083 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  8:57:46 PM  Show Profile Send sbower a Private Message
The instructors always seem take a break between lessons so I think you'd end up starting the lesson at a quarter past anyway. Especially in the winter when the instructor need to warm up between lessons. It just seems to be accepted practice that the tacking up is part of the lesson time. Maybe because the lessons are typically scheduled one right after another. Funny, I never really thought about it. The few times when I've shown up early and the lesson has started early, the lesson has also ended early!! Guess it's just the accepted practice. It's certainly been the case at more than one barn I've taken lessons at around here. At one barn, my daughter was taking group lessons and the other girl was SO SLOW at tacking up, my daughter would be sitting around and waiting. The kids weren't allowed to tack up without supervision and they required all legs to be wrapped, took forever....Used to burn me. We stopped that really fast and switched over to private.
Go to Top of Page

goldie
Beginning Rider

133 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  10:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit goldie's Homepage Send goldie a Private Message
Chicago area - I've paid between $25.00-$40.00 (I ride western but started with an english instructor who charged $40.00/half hour + tack time. Then a western instructor who charged $40.00/full hour of riding and I didn't do much more than exercise her horse for her. I finally found a western instructor (Parelli based) who charges $25.00/half hour (turned into an hour) and it was chock full of info about ground work and riding instruction. I feel really lucky now and hope the quality instruction continues.
Go to Top of Page

goldie
Beginning Rider

133 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  10:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit goldie's Homepage Send goldie a Private Message
Chicago area - I've paid between $25.00-$40.00 (I ride western but started with an english instructor who charged $40.00/half hour + tack time. Then a western instructor who charged $40.00/full hour of riding and I didn't do much more than exercise her horse for her. I finally found a western instructor (Parelli based) who charges $25.00/half hour (turned into an hour) and it was chock full of info about ground work and riding instruction. I feel really lucky now and hope the quality instruction continues.
Go to Top of Page

jumpergrl
Tenderfoot

3 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  8:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jumpergrl's Homepage Send jumpergrl a Private Message
The going rate here in southwestern virginia for my farm is 35 dollar for a privet 30 for a semiprivet (2 ppl) and 20 dollars for a group (limit of 3-4) all are an hour long.
Go to Top of Page

jumpergrl
Tenderfoot

3 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  8:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jumpergrl's Homepage Send jumpergrl a Private Message
The going rate here in southwestern virginia for my farm is 35 dollar for a privet 30 for a semiprivet (2 ppl) and 20 dollars for a group (limit of 3-4) all are an hour long.
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  10:59:21 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
My apologies for those who have read this before, but I'm in northeastern IN and charge $15 for half an hour and $20 for an hour. Since I only have one lesson horse all the lessons I give are private. I also don't start counting the time until my student is in the saddle and start instructing at that time. It ends when the student is out of the saddle.

Like I said; Maybe I better start changing my tactics to meet the norm !

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Edited by - Red Hawk on 09/19/2005 11:00:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  10:59:21 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
My apologies for those who have read this before, but I'm in northeastern IN and charge $15 for half an hour and $20 for an hour. Since I only have one lesson horse all the lessons I give are private. I also don't start counting the time until my student is in the saddle and start instructing at that time. It ends when the student is out of the saddle.

Like I said; Maybe I better start changing my tactics to meet the norm !

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses"
--Robert Browning

Edited by - Red Hawk on 09/19/2005 11:00:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

lil bit
Groomer

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  09:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit lil bit's Homepage Send lil bit a Private Message
The cheapest rate i have found in south georgia for lessons is $20/half hour. And that is with your horse or a school horse. I believe that is for a group also. Because they book you 30 days in advance.

lil bit
Go to Top of Page

lil bit
Groomer

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  09:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit lil bit's Homepage Send lil bit a Private Message
The cheapest rate i have found in south georgia for lessons is $20/half hour. And that is with your horse or a school horse. I believe that is for a group also. Because they book you 30 days in advance.

lil bit
Go to Top of Page

Termite
Advanced Rider

369 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  10:13:33 AM  Show Profile Send Termite a Private Message
My instructor charges half a bale of hay per day.
Termite
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000