Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Types
 On the Right Track?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blue Eye Lassie
Tenderfoot

4 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  12:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blue Eye Lassie's Homepage Send Blue Eye Lassie a Private Message
I tried 2 different Big Horn cordura saddles, I think the bars fit, but it gets snug at the shoulder. Today I tried the Circle Y 1554-flex tree, but all they had was a 16" flex wide tree. After I lunged her I took the saddle off and the sheet had a dry area down the middle along the spine about 4 inches wide. Nothing was touching along the spine area, this was just dry because of no contact with sweaty horse? I am assuming this is because the gullet was so wide? The front seemed to tilt down just a little bit without a pad on, but was still able to get 3-4 fingers between wither and saddle. The saddle wanted to slip back 3-5" or so when very loosely girthed and walked. I am hoping that the regular tree will be a good match?? I very lightly tried stepping into the stirrup and it started to roll a little bit.
None of the tack stores here have arabian saddles in stock. Someone suggested I try an endurance saddle, that the trees are made differently? Can anyone give me information on how those are built?
I currently have 3 saddles that need to be returned tomorrow..........would love any thoughts or theories! I think a saddle that is about 24" long is a good length as there is still an inch or two before it would hit her hips.

Kerry

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  08:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
The dry area along the spine does indicate that there is no contact by the saddle....which is a GOOD thing! You do not want your weight and the saddle's weight to be carried directly on the spine of the horse....that is what the tree and bars are for, to distribute the weight and keep it off the spine.

It sounds like you had the girth loose, correct (when you mention it slipping), and then when you said that you stepped into the stirrup, the saddle rolled....had you cinched the saddle tighter before stepping up? If not, any saddle will slide. If yes, I'd check the fit again.

If the loose saddle tried to slip back a few inches, I would wonder if you maybe had it place a little too far forward to begin with....and it was kind of "seeking" it's own spot. Maybe??

Anyway, perhaps Chuck will chime in with some expert help for you!! (I'm just a wannabe...) lol

-Saddletramp

"She never moved the stars from their courses,
but she loved a good man and she rode good horses"

~~~~~~

When you work here, you can name your own salary. I named mine, "Louie".

~~~~~~

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  08:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
The dry area along the spine does indicate that there is no contact by the saddle....which is a GOOD thing! You do not want your weight and the saddle's weight to be carried directly on the spine of the horse....that is what the tree and bars are for, to distribute the weight and keep it off the spine.

It sounds like you had the girth loose, correct (when you mention it slipping), and then when you said that you stepped into the stirrup, the saddle rolled....had you cinched the saddle tighter before stepping up? If not, any saddle will slide. If yes, I'd check the fit again.

If the loose saddle tried to slip back a few inches, I would wonder if you maybe had it place a little too far forward to begin with....and it was kind of "seeking" it's own spot. Maybe??

Anyway, perhaps Chuck will chime in with some expert help for you!! (I'm just a wannabe...) lol

-Saddletramp

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

Go to Top of Page

Blue Eye Lassie
Tenderfoot

4 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blue Eye Lassie's Homepage Send Blue Eye Lassie a Private Message
Hi, thanks for the quick reply!
At first I just had it barely snug when I was just walking her around with saddle and sheet and no pad. That was when it slipped back. Even the trainer that I asked saw that it had slipped back and she pulled it back to where it 'should' sit. The stirrup was way too far back if that is where it wants to sit naturally. She said maybe I would need a breastcollar... or it is more of a fit thing?
I use a Diamond 1" thick wool pad.
Also I had snugged up the saddle quite a bit before lunging her, as she had started to puff up after the old saddle problems last year. (She definitely felt comfortable enough to pull her antics of bucking a few times when I round penned her...we are going through who is #1 and #2...since my accident) and has to relearn we don't do that!
I did check it again before I tried stepping into the stirrup and it still seemed snug. WIll retry it again today if I can to make sure.
Thanks!!

Kerry
Go to Top of Page

Blue Eye Lassie
Tenderfoot

4 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blue Eye Lassie's Homepage Send Blue Eye Lassie a Private Message
Hi, thanks for the quick reply!
At first I just had it barely snug when I was just walking her around with saddle and sheet and no pad. That was when it slipped back. Even the trainer that I asked saw that it had slipped back and she pulled it back to where it 'should' sit. The stirrup was way too far back if that is where it wants to sit naturally. She said maybe I would need a breastcollar... or it is more of a fit thing?
I use a Diamond 1" thick wool pad.
Also I had snugged up the saddle quite a bit before lunging her, as she had started to puff up after the old saddle problems last year. (She definitely felt comfortable enough to pull her antics of bucking a few times when I round penned her...we are going through who is #1 and #2...since my accident) and has to relearn we don't do that!
I did check it again before I tried stepping into the stirrup and it still seemed snug. WIll retry it again today if I can to make sure.
Thanks!!

Kerry
Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
My saddle will roll (slide to the side) when I use it on a horse that has no withers, and is kind of round-shaped...even tho it seems to fit her everywhere...

I'm considering getting a non-slip pad or a non-slip underpad.

-Saddletramp

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

Go to Top of Page

Saddletramp
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2546 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saddletramp's Homepage Send Saddletramp a Private Message
My saddle will roll (slide to the side) when I use it on a horse that has no withers, and is kind of round-shaped...even tho it seems to fit her everywhere...

I'm considering getting a non-slip pad or a non-slip underpad.

-Saddletramp

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000