Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Types
 Help me pick a saddle!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robert
Groomer

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  03:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage Send Robert a Private Message
I've been saving up for a saddle for some time and I've had my eye on several of the custom saddles at the Saddle Shop. It was suggested to me by my instructor and my farrier (an ex-rodeo cowboy) that I need a saddle with full quarter horse bars and a deep seat like a roper or a barrel racer to help me stay in the proper riding position (I'm still learning to ride). Looking at the pictures on the Saddle Shop, it seems like the barrel racers have the deepest seats. But since I'm a guy and I don't see any guys barrel racing, I've kinda ruled them out. Is that being silly or what?

Looking at the three cheapest custom ropers, they don't seem to have a seat any deeper than the golden brown trail saddle ($610). I really like the looks on the black trail saddle (also $610) but it seems to have a shallower seat and I'd prefer the slick seat of the golden brown saddle over the black saddle's suede seat.

I like the idea of having a ranch saddle ($642) but I read somewhere that the high cantles aren't necessarily a good thing. I just can't remember why. Any ideas out there???

Finally, here's a shot of Echo, the horse I'm leasing for at least a year. Echo is a grade QH grulla and the saddle must look good on him:

That's his owner in the saddle. This was taken in January when his winter coat was its shaggiest. Yeah, he's looks like a tramp but so do I.

Your advice and suggestions are much appreciated!

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  07:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
quote:
it seems like the barrel racers have the deepest seats. But since I'm a guy and I don't see any guys barrel racing, I've kinda ruled them out. Is that being silly or what?

A barrel saddle should have the pocket seat you are looking for. We sell many barrel saddles for people looking to trail ride - not sure of the % for males or females though. The barrel saddles usually have smaller skirts and have the thinner horns. Not a real macho saddle if that is what you are looking for.

quote:
Looking at the three cheapest custom ropers, they don't seem to have a seat any deeper than the golden brown trail saddle ($610). I really like the looks on the black trail saddle (also $610) but it seems to have a shallower seat and I'd prefer the slick seat of the golden brown saddle over the black saddle's suede seat.

Our roping saddles do not have a pocket seat - they have a suede seat to help keep you from sliding but the seat is pretty flat - it is a macho saddle though. The custom trail saddles are a happy medium. They do have more of a pocket than the roper, have suede seats to keep from squirming and although not as macho as the roper are hefty enough for a man.

Most of the custom/Dakota saddles can be ordered in FQHB by calling 1-866-880-2121

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  07:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
quote:
it seems like the barrel racers have the deepest seats. But since I'm a guy and I don't see any guys barrel racing, I've kinda ruled them out. Is that being silly or what?

A barrel saddle should have the pocket seat you are looking for. We sell many barrel saddles for people looking to trail ride - not sure of the % for males or females though. The barrel saddles usually have smaller skirts and have the thinner horns. Not a real macho saddle if that is what you are looking for.

quote:

Our roping saddles do not have a pocket seat - they have a suede seat to help keep you from sliding but the seat is pretty flat - it is a macho saddle though. The custom trail saddles are a happy medium. They do have more of a pocket than the roper, have suede seats to keep from squirming and although not as macho as the roper are hefty enough for a man.

Most of the custom/Dakota saddles can be ordered in FQHB by calling 1-866-880-2121

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  10:31:46 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
GUYS DON'T RIDE IN BARREL SADDLES ??????!!!!!!! Man, don't tell about a 100 or so of the guys that ride gaming horses around here . That's the saddle of choice when running barrels, poles, flags, dash-for-cash, or anything like that... and the majority of gamers around here are guys!!! ROFLOL!!

Just pullin' your chain a little, Robert. I love trail riding in my barrel saddle. I love that deep, secure seat, and the horn is just the right size to fit my hand if I need it when going up & down those steep hills... very handy .
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  10:31:46 AM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
GUYS DON'T RIDE IN BARREL SADDLES ??????!!!!!!! Man, don't tell about a 100 or so of the guys that ride gaming horses around here . That's the saddle of choice when running barrels, poles, flags, dash-for-cash, or anything like that... and the majority of gamers around here are guys!!! ROFLOL!!

Just pullin' your chain a little, Robert. I love trail riding in my barrel saddle. I love that deep, secure seat, and the horn is just the right size to fit my hand if I need it when going up & down those steep hills... very handy .
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  11:23:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Hmmm...I have never really thought of a barrel saddle as being "feminine"! I know several guys who ride them, and love 'em...and these are by no means effeminate guys! My next saddle will probably be a barrel saddle...I love the deep seat they have. I also love they way they look on the horse!

Flooper

"Daddy, can you buy me a horsie?" "Sure honey, they can't cost THAT much."
Go to Top of Page

FLOOPER
Trail Boss (Moderator)

USA
2493 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  11:23:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLOOPER's Homepage Send FLOOPER a Private Message
Hmmm...I have never really thought of a barrel saddle as being "feminine"! I know several guys who ride them, and love 'em...and these are by no means effeminate guys! My next saddle will probably be a barrel saddle...I love the deep seat they have. I also love they way they look on the horse!

Flooper

"Daddy, can you buy me a horsie?" "Sure honey, they can't cost THAT much."
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Groomer

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  10:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage Send Robert a Private Message
Just wanted to update y'all on what saddle I chose. I went with one of the 16" Custom roping saddle from the Saddle Shop in light oil with a black seat.

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/custom-roping-saddle.html

Should be here in 3-4 weeks because it's a custom jobby.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Go to Top of Page

Robert
Groomer

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  10:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Robert's Homepage Send Robert a Private Message
Just wanted to update y'all on what saddle I chose. I went with one of the 16" Custom roping saddle from the Saddle Shop in light oil with a black seat.

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/custom-roping-saddle.html

Should be here in 3-4 weeks because it's a custom jobby.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  09:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
You got a good saddle - incredible value - congratulations!!

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  09:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
You got a good saddle - incredible value - congratulations!!

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  11:03:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Hey, nice looking saddle!
Go to Top of Page

fracturedbones
Clinician

3424 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  11:03:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit fracturedbones's Homepage Send fracturedbones a Private Message
Hey, nice looking saddle!
Go to Top of Page

ClydeLover
Beginning Rider

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  3:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit ClydeLover's Homepage Send ClydeLover a Private Message
Feminine saddle? ROTFL! The only "Gal only" saddle I know of is the very strange "side Saddle". Amazingly, some women still use these! heres a couple URLs for some pics of the type.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3170&item=7155718167&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47295&item=7156577622&rd=1

Time is the best teacher, unfortunately, it kills all it's students!
Or, put another way...
We get too soon old, but too late smart!
Go to Top of Page

ClydeLover
Beginning Rider

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  3:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit ClydeLover's Homepage Send ClydeLover a Private Message
Feminine saddle? ROTFL! The only "Gal only" saddle I know of is the very strange "side Saddle". Amazingly, some women still use these! heres a couple URLs for some pics of the type.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3170&item=7155718167&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47295&item=7156577622&rd=1

Or, put another way...
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  7:33:25 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ClydeLover

Or, put another way...

I hate to tell you this, but the side saddle is experiencing a strong comeback among women riders, right now. They even have their own association and have put on demo's at the Hoosier Horse Fair for the past two or three years. They say you are actually more secure in a side saddle than sitting astride. They can be found for practically every riding discipline, too, including western, hunt seat, saddle seat, & dressage. And, no, I've never ridden in one... though I'd like to try it some time .
Go to Top of Page

Red Hawk
Clinician

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  7:33:25 PM  Show Profile Send Red Hawk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ClydeLover

Or, put another way...

I hate to tell you this, but the side saddle is experiencing a strong comeback among women riders, right now. They even have their own association and have put on demo's at the Hoosier Horse Fair for the past two or three years. They say you are actually more secure in a side saddle than sitting astride. They can be found for practically every riding discipline, too, including western, hunt seat, saddle seat, & dressage. And, no, I've never ridden in one... though I'd like to try it some time .
Go to Top of Page

ClydeLover
Beginning Rider

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  8:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit ClydeLover's Homepage Send ClydeLover a Private Message
At last years Feast of the Hunters Moon, in West Lafayette, IN... There were three ladys doing a demo of side saddle usage. All three were in 18th Century garb and were amazingly agile in those suckers

For those gals wearing dresses, it makes sense I suppose especially when doing a period impression. But I didn't realize any non-dress wearing folk still used such saddles... very interesting indeed.

Or, put another way...
Go to Top of Page

ClydeLover
Beginning Rider

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  8:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit ClydeLover's Homepage Send ClydeLover a Private Message
At last years Feast of the Hunters Moon, in West Lafayette, IN... There were three ladys doing a demo of side saddle usage. All three were in 18th Century garb and were amazingly agile in those suckers

For those gals wearing dresses, it makes sense I suppose especially when doing a period impression. But I didn't realize any non-dress wearing folk still used such saddles... very interesting indeed.

Or, put another way...
Go to Top of Page

Magic_Puzzle
Tenderfoot

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  12:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Magic_Puzzle's Homepage Send Magic_Puzzle a Private Message
You picked a great saddle, Robert. I also opted for this same saddle, not because I am a roper, but because I like the look and feel of it. I think that "roper" saddles are build stronger than a lot of other types because when you have 650 pounds of steer on the other end of the rope you don't want it to pull the saddle in two. I love my saddle evwen though I wasn't really crazy about the "light tan color", so I oiled it down with neatsfoot oil to darken it and then applied leather conditioners and preservatives. It darkened up very nicely and is now a deep brown color that I like very much.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000