Daily Equine Forum Visit Horse Saddle Shop Read Horse Saddle Shops Blog Horse Saddle Shop Twitter Horse Saddle Shop Facebook Image Map
Daily Equine Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics |Recent Messages | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Saddle and Tack Topics
 Saddle Types
 Billy Cook saddle?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ClydeLover
Beginning Rider

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  04:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit ClydeLover's Homepage Send ClydeLover a Private Message
Saddle maker brands don't mean a whole lot to me, but a friend gave me this old 16" Western Saddle a couple years ago and said it was a Billy Cook saddle. The only makers mark on it is on the latigo carrier. It's marked Billy Cook, Greenville, Texas. I took it to a local saddle shop and the owner said it was likely a Billy Cook "type" saddle. He said Cook usually signs his saddles and numbers them, and the name on the latigo carrier is likely counterfit. Nevertheless it's a well made saddle.

Time is the best teacher, unfortunately, it kills all it's students!

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  08:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
If the saddle is only a few years old, then it was made by Simco-Longhorn. It is not a counterfeit because they legally own the name Billy Cook. The saddles made in Oklahoma by Mr. Billy Cook now carry the name "Billy Cook Classic Saddle" - we sell them as "Billy Cook" saddles though.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Chuck
Forum Admin

USA
1265 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  08:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chuck's Homepage Send Chuck a Private Message
If the saddle is only a few years old, then it was made by Simco-Longhorn. It is not a counterfeit because they legally own the name Billy Cook. The saddles made in Oklahoma by Mr. Billy Cook now carry the name "Billy Cook Classic Saddle" - we sell them as "Billy Cook" saddles though.

Chuck

Horse Saddle Shop

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com
Go to Top of Page

Bull Trainer
Tenderfoot

1 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  12:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bull Trainer's Homepage Send Bull Trainer a Private Message

Chuck,

I am new to this forum. I recently bought a used Billy Cook Roper.

It is in GREAT Shape. There is a # stamped in the Jockey on each side under the stirup straps followed by a space and the # 81.

Is the # 81 the year the saddle was made?

Thanks in advance,

Bull Trainer.

Go to Top of Page

Bull Trainer
Tenderfoot

1 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2005 :  12:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bull Trainer's Homepage Send Bull Trainer a Private Message

Chuck,

I am new to this forum. I recently bought a used Billy Cook Roper.

It is in GREAT Shape. There is a # stamped in the Jockey on each side under the stirup straps followed by a space and the # 81.

Is the # 81 the year the saddle was made?

Thanks in advance,

Bull Trainer.

Go to Top of Page

Kyhorsechic
Tenderfoot

9 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  08:35:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyhorsechic's Homepage Send Kyhorsechic a Private Message
To my understanding, Billy Cook originally made his saddles in Greeneville, TX many years ago, and moved his business to Sulpher Oklahoma in the early 90's. Simco-Longhorn owns the rights to only some designs of his and therefore allowed to call their saddles Billy Cook. All Genuine Billy Cooks will say " Billy Cook Maker" or "Genuine" on the saddle.( Simco-Longhorn can't put that on the saddle). Simco's may have some designs but they don't use the same quality tree's, leather, etc.. as Genuine Billy Cooks made in Sulpher, Oklahoma. I have a genuine Billy Cook roping saddle ( Oklahoma ) and I tell you, they are well made, hardy, well balanced and seem to fit every horse great. Don't buy a Simco thinking you're getting a real Billy Cook. Completely different saddles. Would HIGHLY recommend the Genuine Billy Cook's out of Sulphur, OK!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kyhorsechic
Tenderfoot

9 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  08:35:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyhorsechic's Homepage Send Kyhorsechic a Private Message
To my understanding, Billy Cook originally made his saddles in Greeneville, TX many years ago, and moved his business to Sulpher Oklahoma in the early 90's. Simco-Longhorn owns the rights to only some designs of his and therefore allowed to call their saddles Billy Cook. All Genuine Billy Cooks will say " Billy Cook Maker" or "Genuine" on the saddle.( Simco-Longhorn can't put that on the saddle). Simco's may have some designs but they don't use the same quality tree's, leather, etc.. as Genuine Billy Cooks made in Sulpher, Oklahoma. I have a genuine Billy Cook roping saddle ( Oklahoma ) and I tell you, they are well made, hardy, well balanced and seem to fit every horse great. Don't buy a Simco thinking you're getting a real Billy Cook. Completely different saddles. Would HIGHLY recommend the Genuine Billy Cook's out of Sulphur, OK!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Daily Equine Forum © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000